Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

26" LHT Fenders Help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

26" LHT Fenders Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 02:06 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
26" LHT Fenders Help

Well, I had a 54cm "Cement Head" LHT on order at LBS. Turns out that color won't be available until October 1 or later. I am going to
go with "Blacktacular" which I am told will be at my LBS next week. My wife is already riding her new LHT which came in a couple weeks
after we ordered it. The color is "Cement Head" in color. It is a hard color to describe, looks like wet cement to me. We won't have a matched
pair now, but I haven't been to color coordinated in the past.

I already have my Ortlieb back rollers and front rollers, Cargo Evo & duo sitting on a shelf. Thanks to everyone who steered me towards those products.

The last thing I need are fenders. I have never had fenders. I still don't think I need them but I would like to try them out...might keep the dirt off the pretty yellow bags!

These are black & wet concrete colored 26" bikes with 1.5" tires. It might be possible that I may go to 1.75 in the future
for a better ride. I don't know at this point.

These are some of the ones I have looked at. As far as I can tell they are all for 26" bikes, I think one of the SKS ones are for 26 or 700. I have done
some googling and couldn't come up with a clear winner.

Any ideas would help me. I do think I prefer less plastic hardware (SKS) to the PBs. But I think the PBs would work fine, people like them from what I read.

Here are direct links....

PB fenders Cascadia ATB:

Fenders Cascadia ATB Black

PB fenders Full ATB:

Full Fenders ATB (2015)

PB fenders Hardcore ATB:

Fenders Hardcore ATB

SKS Velo 55 Cross:

VELO 55 CROSS - mudguards - us - SKS Germany 55 CROSS

SKS Velo 65 Mountain

VELO 65 MOUNTAIN - mudguards - us - SKS Germany 65 MOUNTAIN

Thanks,

Jon
Old 08-20-15, 02:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
yes fenders/ mudguards help keep you dry from wheel spray .

you want a popularity poll ?
Old 08-20-15, 02:32 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Probably don't need a poll...not too picky. I have read that the forks on the 26 & 700 are the same. I have looked at a couple pics and notice the fenders might have to be modified with an extra spacer to lower them.

Right now I just want to narrow it down to a few models that will fit properly. Possibly some "ease of installation" info would be helpful. I think I want plastic and black fenders for my black bike, but I am open to suggestions.
Old 08-20-15, 02:35 PM
Quarryman32

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek Madone 4.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I took up touring this summer, opting for a pair of Surly Disc Truckers, hers a 50 cm frame with 26" x 1.25", mine 56 cm with 26" x 1.75". We put SKS P55 Chromoplastic Longboards on both. They were tricky to mount around the front disc brake, but they've been rock solid and do a superb job of putting road spray back onto the road and off of us and our gear.

I see on the SKS Web site that they've since changed the model and no longer have the 55 mm version (which fit superbly on both frames), and the smoky, translucent grey with black stripe has disappeared as a color option. However, it's still available (see, e.g., https://www.amazon.com/SKS-Chromoplas.../dp/B00HWZMDQU), and I heartily recommend it.

BTW, make sure you have horizontal clearance for whatever you choose. I know the 65 mm would not fit our Truckers.
Old 08-20-15, 02:57 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^Are the fenders at the Amazon link black or like you describe, translucent grey/black stripe? They look pretty black on Amazon.

It looks like Rivendell has the P55 in silver (don't know if I would like the silver color, black probably better):

https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/fe1p55.htm

Last edited by jonc123; 08-20-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-20-15, 03:39 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
... I have read that the forks on the 26 & 700 are the same.
If you are referring to the LHT, no, the forks are not the same.

I've used SKS and VO fenders in 26 and 700, various widths depending on bike. I prefer VO, they look better IMO. VO are an excellent value in metal fenders. I use Al if available since it's lighter and doesn't rust:

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...enders-26.html
Old 08-20-15, 03:46 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^Those look great also!
Old 08-20-15, 03:46 PM
Quarryman32

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek Madone 4.7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^Are the fenders at the Amazon link black or like you describe, translucent grey/black stripe? They look pretty black on Amazon.

It looks like Rivendell has the P55 in silver (don't know if I would like the silver color, black probably better):

SKS/ESGE LongBoard Silver Fenders - P55
If I squint a little and turn my monitor just so, the ones in the Amazon link look like they could be the color I have. Also, if you look closely you can see the striping running up the spine. The Rivendell version is definitely a different color.
Old 08-20-15, 03:50 PM
seeker333
-

SKS/ESGE LongBoard Silver Fenders - P55
Chromoplastic are indeed a translucent gray with dark stripe. These fenders have a steel or aluminum strip that is laminated to the plastic. These are the best SKS model, as the metal makes the fender stronger, more rigid, and can be shaped slightly to follow the wheel line. SKS also makes an economy model which has no metal laminate - it is lighter, less rigid, actually kinda floppy compared to Chromplastic or metal fenders.

If you don't like the color, you can always rattle-can paint them to match the frameset color (the way all fenders used to be finished). The black frameset would look best with silver fenders IMO. The beige frameset could go silver or black. If these are Complete LHTs then you can't go all-silver or all-black on components anyway, which would be ideal.
Old 08-20-15, 04:13 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Chromoplastic are indeed a translucent gray with dark stripe. These fenders have a steel or aluminum strip that is laminated to the plastic. These are the best SKS model, as the metal makes the fender stronger, more rigid, and can be shaped slightly to follow the wheel line. SKS also makes an economy model which has no metal laminate - it is lighter, less rigid, actually kinda floppy compared to Chromplastic or metal fenders.

If you don't like the color, you can always rattle-can paint them to match the frameset color (the way all fenders used to be finished). The black frameset would look best with silver fenders IMO. The beige frameset could go silver or black. If these are Complete LHTs then you can't go all-silver or all-black on components anyway, which would be ideal.
The more I think about it, silver might look better. These are complete LHTs. It looks like the VO in 26" is 60mm wide, would that look too wide on a 1.5" 38mm tire? Also a pretty tight fit in the forks with not much room to spare. Never looked at fenders before, kind of learning as I go!
Old 08-20-15, 05:25 PM
seeker333
-

The more I think about it, silver might look better. These are complete LHTs. It looks like the VO in 26" is 60mm wide, would that look too wide on a 1.5" 38mm tire? Also a pretty tight fit in the forks with not much room to spare. Never looked at fenders before, kind of learning as I go!
No. I ran 26x1.4-2.0" tires on my old LHT with the VO 26x60 Al fenders, looked/worked fine. You need 60mm fenders if you ever want to run 51mm/2" tires for off-road. So you have to live with a little gap, or else buy/swap various sized fenders, which no one wants to do.

I traded my 26 LHT for a 700 DT (which I now somewhat regret), but I kept the fenders and they now live on a commuterized Ti MTB.

My VO 26" Al fenders measure 60mm wide on the outside. I measured the fork width (tire/fender clearance) below crown top at ~63mm on my 700 DT fork, so VO 60mm fender should fit your LHT 26 fork fine.

If by chance the fenders are a wee bit wide, you can always narrow them by hand - a little squeeze and they'll narrow by 2-3mm. Bending is a necessary skill for the installation of fenders and racks.

Last edited by seeker333; 08-20-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-20-15, 06:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Just in case you might some day want 2.0 width tires, it might be a good idea to get 60mm wide fenders and when you install them, do not cut the brackets too sort.

When I run 1.5 width tires, I leave my fenders adjusted for the 2.0 width tires, I don't let the gap bother me. Photo shows 1.5 (40mm) width Schwalbe Marathon tires with fenders big enough and adjusted for 2.0 width tires. (Not a LHT, but the wheels and fenders would look the same.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3649.jpg (76.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 08-20-15, 06:36 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 52cm Surly LHT and ride with Schwalbe Big Ben 2.15" tires. I use SKS P65 fenders (black) and they work fine with the wide tire on the LHT. Mine look like these:

SKS Germany
Old 08-20-15, 06:49 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used SKS B60 and they fit fine, but I had to clip the metal struts with a bolt cutter.
Old 08-20-15, 08:48 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like I have it narrowed down some. I'm in no hurry, so I have plenty of time to decide.

The ones that look interesting to me are the SKS P55 or SKS P45 (if I wanted a more fitted fender for a 1.5" tire...I think this would be wide enough) in black or silver. Amazon has them listed as black(?) in stock, Rivendell has them in silver. The VO do look nice also.

I've read enough that I have a pretty good idea on what to do to make the fenders fit, especially the curve of the tire and the distance from the tire.

I don't think I will be doing much off road, except for some smooth maintained gravel roads possibly but mostly 95% pavement. No trails at all...I backpack in the winter often and get plenty of that on foot. I do lots of trail maintenance also. I like to get away from the trails some. I wouldn't go with any type of knobby tire at all. I would only go wider for more comfort on pavement. I fell in love with Marathon Plus tires years ago. We need them around here...once I started using them, I quit fixing flat tires. They are heavy tires and I am in no hurry.

Kind of off topic now, but what would would that get me to move up one notch in tire size to 1 3/4" from 1 1/2"?

Thanks all for the info.
Old 08-20-15, 10:47 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I have a Surly Disc Trucker (559 mm wheels) w/Planet Bike Full ATB fenders. Not fancy but no problems so far except they don't have front mudflap which is essential to keep spray off feet. While it's not hard to rig up a mudflap, it's logical to buy fenders w/mudflap included.

I'm using 1.4"/36 mm tires, fairly comfy for most roads/paved paths but if there's ruts or bumps a wider tire would be nicer. LHT's are fairly comfy anyway but even the stretched-out wheelbase has limited ability to smooth out bumps. I've thought about moving to a wider 40-50 mm tire but my typical touring areas have smoother roads than those on local rides.
Old 08-21-15, 04:12 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Check out this blog that is based on opinions from people on this site.
Old 08-21-15, 08:05 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
When I got my fenders, I sized them assuming that tire size would remain the same or jump up by one or two sizes. Instead, I kept gradually increasing my tire size until the fenders barely gave enough coverage. So if you have strong feelings about your tire size, then going for a close fit makes sense, but if you think you might be open to wider tires in the future, might save yourself some future headaches by getting wider than you think you need. But not, as someone else pointed out, wider than your bike can handle. Those 65s might be pushing it.

I love the Velo-Orange aluminum fenders, but I found they always got bent out of adjustment if I had to put the bike in the back of a car. Although that's probably true of any fender, especially when you're running a set with very little clearance.
Old 08-21-15, 10:21 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The SKS P45 will clear a 1.5"/38 mm tire. I use that combination on two bikes. It doesn't give a ton of clearance, but just enough. However, the P45 is specified to fit 700c tires, so it will have a different radius than one specified for 26". I've used the P45 on 700c and 650b 38 mm tires, but not 26".

The SKS P55 is a bit wider and is specified for 26" wheels, 1.6" to 2.1". That should be perfect for your use.

Don't bother with the P65 unless you're using 2.35" tires; they're crazy wide. They clear a Super Moto with plenty of room though.

The "longboard" versions of the P-series Chromoplastic fenders are a bit longer and come with long mudflaps. Non-"longboard" versions are a bit shorter and do not include mudflaps.

Double check which version you are ordering. All the P-series fenders sold by Rivendell are "longboard"; with other retailers it can be a crap shoot.

The SKS P-series Chromoplastics are my favorite fenders because they are:
* inexpensive
* easy to install -- seriously, they go on quite quickly.
* maximum clearance -- the SKS hardware is all on the sides or top of the fender; no bolts inside to eat up your tire clearance.

SKS tips:
Get another pair of quick-release fork tabs for the rear. They're called "secu-clips". I ruined a rear cream P45 when my rear wheel picked up a stick. With the secu-clip installed, the fender stay would have released and saved the fender. I use secu-clips front and rear on all SKS fender installs now.
Get some spacers for the chainstay bridge mount; its location can be really variable on bikes. I use cheap nylon spacers from the hardware store. If the chainstay bridge is not drilled for a fender, grab a p-clamp while you're there.
Bolt cutters work ok for the fender stays. A dremel/roto-tool is even quicker, and can be handy if you have to trim the fenders anywhere.

I have also tried Velo Orange aluminum fenders; my Rivendell currently wears their 45 mm "hammered" fenders. They have less clearance than the P45s and rattle more. But they look fabulous. I picked up a set of Honjo fenders to try next, when the VOs fail.
Old 08-21-15, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
any how my 2 26" wheel bikes have Esge-SKS mudguards , the ones OEM batch made for Koga,

replaced the strut draw bolt with a molded plastic friction fit , so It functions as a breakaway, somewhat like those clips .

On my Winter bike I left more clearance, in case snow stuck to the wheels . Mostly Ice, so has not been an Issue.

cut the front one to bolt on either side of the fork crown to have all that clearance.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-21-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-15, 11:13 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Well, I had a 54cm "Cement Head" LHT on order at LBS. Turns out that color won't be available until October 1 or

PB fenders Cascadia ATB:

Fenders Cascadia ATB Black

Thanks,

Jon
I run the Cascadias on my LHT. They work nicely and you will be able to fit very large tires on it with them.
Old 08-21-15, 12:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Regardless of brand, get fenders that have the quick release front dropout safety mount. I like the idea mentioned above of also using them on the rear.

If I wasn't using my phone, I'd post a picture of the damage that can occur picking up debris. It is pretty amazing how tough SKS fenders are. On a tour 4 years ago, my wife and I experienced 35 days of rain. Quite a bit of riding was on dirt roads and trails. On our present tour we have worn our rain gear about a week, 25% of the trip so far. I wouldn't consider going on an extended tour without fenders.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-21-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 01:15 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I highly recommend the PB Cascadia fenders, which I have on two bikes (silver and black versions). I also have SKS Longboards on another bike. The Cascadias and Longboards are similar in quality and functionality. However, the Cascadias are much, much easier to install. I will never buy another SKS fender after the problems I had installing Longboards. Very poor design from an installation standpoint.
Old 08-21-15, 01:30 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
The SKS P45 will clear a 1.5"/38 mm tire. I use that combination on two bikes. It doesn't give a ton of clearance, but just enough. However, the P45 is specified to fit 700c tires, so it will have a different radius than one specified for 26". I've used the P45 on 700c and 650b 38 mm tires, but not 26".

The SKS P55 is a bit wider and is specified for 26" wheels, 1.6" to 2.1". That should be perfect for your use.

Don't bother with the P65 unless you're using 2.35" tires; they're crazy wide. They clear a Super Moto with plenty of room though.

The "longboard" versions of the P-series Chromoplastic fenders are a bit longer and come with long mudflaps. Non-"longboard" versions are a bit shorter and do not include mudflaps.

Double check which version you are ordering. All the P-series fenders sold by Rivendell are "longboard"; with other retailers it can be a crap shoot.

The SKS P-series Chromoplastics are my favorite fenders because they are:
* inexpensive
* easy to install -- seriously, they go on quite quickly.
* maximum clearance -- the SKS hardware is all on the sides or top of the fender; no bolts inside to eat up your tire clearance.

SKS tips:
Get another pair of quick-release fork tabs for the rear. They're called "secu-clips". I ruined a rear cream P45 when my rear wheel picked up a stick. With the secu-clip installed, the fender stay would have released and saved the fender. I use secu-clips front and rear on all SKS fender installs now.
Get some spacers for the chainstay bridge mount; its location can be really variable on bikes. I use cheap nylon spacers from the hardware store. If the chainstay bridge is not drilled for a fender, grab a p-clamp while you're there.
Bolt cutters work ok for the fender stays. A dremel/roto-tool is even quicker, and can be handy if you have to trim the fenders anywhere.

I have also tried Velo Orange aluminum fenders; my Rivendell currently wears their 45 mm "hammered" fenders. They have less clearance than the P45s and rattle more. But they look fabulous. I picked up a set of Honjo fenders to try next, when the VOs fail.
Tim, I think I am going to go with the SKS P55. I looked again at the ones Rivendell sells; they look to have a satin brushed finish with two black stripes. That might work out well; I'm already putting more black parts on the black bike...the 2 Tubus front & rear racks are black. The King bottle cages are stainless. I think I might need a bit more "chrome". I didn't like the idea of a black bike at first but it is growing on me.

I think hers would look good with black or silver fenders. Both bikes do have a mixture of black/silver components.

If I order these, do I need the shorty flap? I will order extra fork tabs.

None of this color stuff will really matter anyway once I've ridden it some and have the proper scratches, mud, dirt, wear and tear on it to make it look like it's ridden instead of a sanitized showroom model!

Again, thanks everyone. My wife still needs to pick out what she wants, so we'll see!
Old 08-21-15, 02:32 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Tim, I think I am going to go with the SKS P55. I looked again at the ones Rivendell sells; they look to have a satin brushed finish with two black stripes.

If I order these, do I need the shorty flap?
Yes, the silver P55's look brushed, and are classy. SKS Chromoplastics have a thin aluminum layer sandwiched in plastic. On the silver fenders, the plastic is transparent and you see the aluminum. The black stripes are actually transparent, and you're seeing your black tire through there.

The black P55's are still slightly transparent; you can see the stripes and the foil, which looks nice.

I doubt you'll need the shorty flap. That is used when you put a 700c fender like the P45 on a smaller radius wheel (like 650b). I used it with the cream P45's on my 650b Riv.

Also, the shorty flap only fits the P45, not the P55. If the flap that comes with the P55 Longboard is too long, trim it.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of the SKS Chromoplastic fenders.
I've installed:
P45 on my 650b Riv, my girlfriend's 650b Soma San Marcos, my daughter's 650b Bianchi, and my girlfriend's father's 700x32 Raleigh. Last weekend I added a black set of P45's to my carbon Foundry Auger (heresy!)
P65 on my KOM and my girlfriend's Univega, both wearing 26x2.35 Super Motos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.