Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Outdated Licensing Laws Kill Cyclists

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Outdated Licensing Laws Kill Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 11:18 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I agree. Calling to federalize driver's licenses? What was the last thing the federal government did well?
Pilot licensing.

Seriously; if you put the FAA in charge of licensing drivers to the same standards they use for private pilots, I wouldn't get at least one person a week stopping into the bike shop to ask me to check the air in their car tires. (And 3-4 adults who have no clue how to air up their Schrader-valved 40-PSI-max bike tires.) I would, however, get a buttload more business from people who can't pass the DL test.

And considering the number of high-profile blowout-due-to-improper-inflation wrecks in the news over the last few years, there's no excuse for someone driving a car that cost $25k minumum, burning $2.49/gallon gas to not own and know how to use a $3 tire gauge and a $12 inflator.
Old 02-18-18, 11:22 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Not in some more rural locations... this is where judges often grant “driving to work” exceptions... that may be violated by the offender... hence the “driving while license is suspended.”
First time suspension, OK; give them a set route to work, making sure it includes a gas station and a grocery store. No driving off that route unless it's a legitimate detour due to road closure.

Second time, they knew the risk, and put themselves in that situation. Let them figure out how to get to town without a car.
Old 02-21-18, 11:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
We won't have to wait too long..... until autonomous cars become not just an option.... but the LAW. Once society becomes fully aware of the safety on machine/computer/autonomous driving vehicles.... human driven vehicles will be outlawed for safety's sake.

Of course.... with bicycles being strictly human driven.... that might not work out so well for us cyclists.
Boy, could I run this into P&R with less than a paragraph
Old 02-22-18, 12:15 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Boy, could I run this into P&R with less than a paragraph
It's history. The way it's always worked. Most safety items like turn signals, mirrors, seat belts... were just great safety "options" at first. But proved too helpful to be used only as "options".... they became law. Tons of experts have predicted the added safety of self-driving cars... will quickly push them into "required" status.

So... after a few years or MONTHS where most accidents involve motorcycles, bicycles, and/or pedestrians... what would you guess will happen. Who on that list... is most hated by the voting public?
Old 02-25-18, 06:36 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Still politicians.

Am I making my point?
Old 02-26-18, 03:46 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
We also need a system that doesn't only concern itself only with if you can follow laws, but also that you can control a vehicle at its limits. I now do vehicle testing, this spring I have to go through a week long plus drivers school where I learn to control at their limits, and then must demonstrate that I can do so in a fast manner under a variety of conditions. Any old idiot can run around in a car safely when someone is sitting over their shoulder with a clipboard, few actually know how to react when they hit that spot of black ice and the car starts to slip.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
That is, when they actually require you to take the test. The last time I renewed my license a few years back I didn't even have to test.
Just turned 32, so I've had a license half my life. Haven't been retested once, which is quite ridiculous IMO. Not going to even get into the joke of a system that did nothing but made sure I knew shouldn't drink and drive when I got my motorcycle endorsement.

Originally Posted by 02Giant
I don't believe this is a consideration of Judges and/or Juries. There are currently many modes of transportation available to those without a license.
Not in much of the country. Like it or not, we developed a car-centric system of transport.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-26-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 07:10 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ptempel
Maybe just change the law to make it a felony for the truck driver case of hitting and killing someone.
Still doesn't work unless the penalties are higher; we just had a DWI-3rd-or-more (felony in Texas) picked up yesterday, except that his rap sheet shows a DWI-3rd-or-more on 2-25-17. Barely over a year, and yet he had his license back in time to do it again.

In my ideal scenario, rather than a license suspension for the previous one, (assuming that was just his third) he'd have gotten a ~10 year sentence, with probation after the first year conditional on not driving for at least five years, but then this one would revoke his probation with no possibility of release until he sits out the remainder of the initial 10 years, followed by whatever he gets for the new DUI, and permanent license revocation.
Old 03-09-18, 01:10 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
I doubt driving will be outlawed, at least for many decades. But I would expect the availability of autonomous cars to lead to much less leniency for those who disregard traffic laws. Currently judges and juries are very reluctant to take away someone's privilege to drive since it's viewed as almost a necessity to function in today's society. Once use of autonomous vehicles becomes a viable option I expect that reluctance to vanish.
A lot of times suspending a license is an administrative action. You don't pay your speeding ticket, the DMV suspends your license. You ignore their mail and don't show up for an eye exam, the DMV suspends your license.

Originally Posted by ptempel
Maybe just change the law to make it a felony for the truck driver case of hitting and killing someone.
Yes, this. It should be that when a death occurs, that takes precedence over traffic laws being violated. Not every traffic death is so gregarious as to rise to manslaughter, but it should be investigated as such like other violent deaths are. Clear cut cases of self defense are initially investigated as homicides by the police until it is determined to be self defense. Same with accidental deaths. A motorist hitting a bicycle or a pedestrian should be investigated for vehicular manslaughter until there is proof that the motorist's involvement did not rise to the level of reckless disregard.

Now for a point not addressed by anyone. This guy was driving on a suspended license. That means he held a valid driver's license at some point in time, so he has been tested on his knowledge of driving laws and passed, and he proved he could apply those same laws while in a vehicle. Tougher suspended licensing laws will not fix this particular scenario as one's knowledge of vehicle laws does not magically vanish from one's brain when one's license in no longer valid. Tougher licensing tests will help to avoid this scenario but it will not prevent it entirely. Especially when a person on a suspended license doesn't care about operating a vehicle in a safe manner, which is where vehicular manslaughter laws should come into play due to reckless disregard.