Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Think I'm Off the Ottolock Bandwagon

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I Think I'm Off the Ottolock Bandwagon

Old 05-30-19, 01:38 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
In other words, Ottolock performs as advertised, has a great security to weight ration, and lives up to the hype.

Comparing an Ottolock to a U lock is like comparing a Jeep to a Porsche. Both are fine tools for a specific application, but neither is especially well suited to perform a task it wasn't designed to do.

I'm a big fan of the Ottolock, and it goes lives in a jersey pocket on 80% of my rides. Great protection for a lunch or bathroom stop. If I need more security than Ottolock can provide, I'll take the bike inside, or I won't stop.

BB
I still use mine the same way. I'm just a recreational rider so for quick stops fine and it is light. But I bought early access and wasn't reviews that it could be cut that easy. Kind of false advertising on Ottolocks part. Half hearted attempts to cut in their videos. I say that is false advertising. But not much can be done now. Works slightly better than nothing.

Old 05-30-19, 02:03 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's absurd. Angle grinders cost more, and make a hell of a lot of noise, not to mention taking a lot longer to cut through than the demo videos.
where I live (Cambridge UK), we have hundreds of bikes stolen .... guys walk around with high powered portable angle grinders in shopping bags and will take a bike in broad daylight with pedestrians walking past ....

I do not take my good bikes into the city if I have to leave it unatended ... I use my £45 cheap bike
Old 05-30-19, 02:04 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Keep in mind that if a thief is prepared enough to be carrying tools, he's going to steal your bike 90% of the time, regardless of whether you locked it with an Ottolock or 75 lbs of logging chain, 3 Kryptonites, and a string of barbed wire.

Locks like the Ottolock are protection against crimes of opportunity, and still require you to use good judgement about where, when, and for how long you park your bike.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-30-19, 02:10 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
A starting price of $50 dollars is very steep for a lock with this level of security. I think one is paying for the engineering behind it; which is fine but for me, I'll stick with my small U-lock.

If I know I need to leave my bike locked for more than a few minutes I use the U-lock and a separate cable with lock. That extra time to deal with a second lock may make the difference between the other guy's bike getting stolen and not mine if he only has one lock.
Old 05-30-19, 02:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A lock works for me so long as it can prevent a snatch-n-grab. I've clipped my helmet straps through the triangle and front wheel, purely in the hopes of preventing someone from just quickly wheeling the bike away when I'm not paying attention. The exact same thing I use the Knog Milkman for. I guess it works. Or at least doesn't not work.

Last edited by DrIsotope; 05-30-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-30-19, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
where I live (Cambridge UK), we have hundreds of bikes stolen .... guys walk around with high powered portable angle grinders in shopping bags and will take a bike in broad daylight with pedestrians walking past ....

I do not take my good bikes into the city if I have to leave it unatended ... I use my £45 cheap bike
Even there, though, the idea that someone is more likely to have an angle grinder than a pair of tin snips is absurd. That's the statement I was responding to. Tin snips are a great tool for targets of opportunity, quiet and very cheap.
Old 05-30-19, 03:29 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 548 Posts
Even there, though, the idea that someone is more likely to have an angle grinder than a pair of tin snips is absurd. That's the statement I was responding to. Tin snips are a great tool for targets of opportunity, quiet and very cheap.
How many different locks can be cut with tin snips? It seems to me that this would greatly limit the choice of bikes that someone could steal. Furthermore, people that have locks that can be cut with snips probably know that and only use them on less desirable bikes that someone would be less likely to steal.

The grinder, on the other hand, can take care of just about anything so if someone were looking for bikes to steal, why wouldn't they have the tool that would allow them to steal whatever they see as the best target? Doesn't seem all that absurd to me.

What seems less likely to me is that there are thieves running around with tin snips looking for nice bikes that happen to have Ottolocks.
Old 05-30-19, 04:01 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
How many different locks can be cut with tin snips? ...

...What seems less likely to me is that there are thieves running around with tin snips looking for nice bikes that happen to have Ottolocks.
Given that cable locks can also be cut easily (
), the Ottolock certainly isn't at a disadvantage compared to other non U-locks.

Perhaps what people object to is the price tag. That's a reasonable concern, and is a fine reason for people to buy something cheaper. But that's a matter for the market to work out, and clearly, lots of us consider the Ottolock worth the price of admission. So maybe the real issue is more akin to buying a top of the line helmet vs a less expensive helmet. Both will protect your head, but one will do it with more style. Whether that is worth the price tag is a purely subjective decision.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-31-19, 04:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

How many different locks can be cut with tin snips? It seems to me that this would greatly limit the choice of bikes that someone could steal. Furthermore, people that have locks that can be cut with snips probably know that and only use them on less desirable bikes that someone would be less likely to steal.

The grinder, on the other hand, can take care of just about anything so if someone were looking for bikes to steal, why wouldn't they have the tool that would allow them to steal whatever they see as the best target? Doesn't seem all that absurd to me.

What seems less likely to me is that there are thieves running around with tin snips looking for nice bikes that happen to have Ottolocks.
Originally Posted by bbbean
Given that cable locks can also be cut easily (https://youtu.be/tVCqGMIz_iU), the Ottolock certainly isn't at a disadvantage compared to other non U-locks.

Perhaps what people object to is the price tag. That's a reasonable concern, and is a fine reason for people to buy something cheaper. But that's a matter for the market to work out, and clearly, lots of us consider the Ottolock worth the price of admission. So maybe the real issue is more akin to buying a top of the line helmet vs a less expensive helmet. Both will protect your head, but one will do it with more style. Whether that is worth the price tag is a purely subjective decision.

BB
Right, the article quotes the Portland police that half the thieves are carrying tin snips. They're looking for crappy cable locks to cut in seconds, not Ulocks that take minutes with a grinder. Problem is that it's now well-publicized that Ottolock is really just a cool-looking design for a very light crappy cable lock.

I'm not going to tell people that they're wrong if they think it's worth the money, I just don't think many people will agree and that the failure of the redesign is a complete disaster for the product.

I'm no engineer, but isn't what's going on is that flattening the material into a ribbon makes it easier to cut than bundling it into a cable? Here's a video of a guy taking the ribbon apart with a pocket knife and a pair of scissors. Note that the scissors are enough to cut through the metal band:

Basically, they've got a design that makes expensive materials as vulnerable as cheap ones.
Old 05-31-19, 07:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Ottolock: 'We’ve always recommended redundant locking with a quality U-lock for higher crime areas or long duration lock-ups.'

If I'm using a quality u-lock, what exactly does the redundant locking with an Ottolock provide?
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-31-19, 07:53 AM
tcs
Palmer

I'm actually pleased to see the publication of how easily the Ottolock is defeated and that there continue to be passionate users of the device. I know who I'll be parking my u-locked bike next to.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-31-19, 08:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Less of a fashion statement, but probably just as good security at 100 grams for $17:

https://www.amazon.com/Allnice-Porta...f_=gep_p2_dp_8
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-31-19, 08:42 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
No Muss, No Fuss, No lock

I just never leave my ride unattended, never use racks, loads into my car. I guess I don't stop on rides except where no one is anyways. Had one bike stolen as a kid (mine and a friend's), but found caught the culprits red-handed and retrieved same day. I feel sorry for those who have leave any bike unattended; where I work folks are always getting their saddles stolen, nothing is safe!
Old 05-31-19, 08:49 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Definitely seems like a more cost effective alternative.
Old 05-31-19, 08:55 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Right, the article quotes the Portland police that half the thieves are carrying tin snips. They're looking for crappy cable locks to cut in seconds, not Ulocks that take minutes with a grinder. Problem is that it's now well-publicized that Ottolock is really just a cool-looking design for a very light crappy cable lock.

I'm not going to tell people that they're wrong if they think it's worth the money, I just don't think many people will agree and that the failure of the redesign is a complete disaster for the product.

I'm no engineer, but isn't what's going on is that flattening the material into a ribbon makes it easier to cut than bundling it into a cable? Here's a video of a guy taking the ribbon apart with a pocket knife and a pair of scissors. Note that the scissors are enough to cut through the metal band: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DhHD6Dzl4yc

Basically, they've got a design that makes expensive materials as vulnerable as cheap ones.
Ha, he did take 3 minutes to cut it. But you could probably do that with scissors to a cable lock as well, cutting strand-by-strand.

Here's a guy who does it painstakingly with a pocket knife:

Originally Posted by HPL
I just never leave my ride unattended, never use racks, loads into my car. I guess I don't stop on rides except where no one is anyways. Had one bike stolen as a kid (mine and a friend's), but found caught the culprits red-handed and retrieved same day. I feel sorry for those who have leave any bike unattended; where I work folks are always getting their saddles stolen, nothing is safe!
Millions of people leave their bikes unattended every day, nothing to feel sorry about. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 05-31-19, 09:11 AM
autonomy

Does anyone know, what is the most difficult lock that's not a ULock to pick/split/cut according to LockPickingLawyer?
Old 05-31-19, 09:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
What do I use? Either for bikepacking or Long Distance Endurance rides where I need to stop from time to time and leave my bike unattended at convenience stores etc. It's not an option to be hauling a U Lock or heavy Chain/Padlock combination. My understanding was the Ottolock was a light convenient method of preventing snatch and grab kind of thefts.

Looking for ideas.
Old 05-31-19, 10:03 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Siren

Originally Posted by velopig
What do I use? Either for bikepacking or Long Distance Endurance rides where I need to stop from time to time and leave my bike unattended at convenience stores etc. It's not an option to be hauling a U Lock or heavy Chain/Padlock combination. My understanding was the Ottolock was a light convenient method of preventing snatch and grab kind of thefts.

Looking for ideas.
I had a pull pin (like a grenade) ear piercing alarm. Slapped under the BB shell (small, magnetic, sorry Ti, alloy, CF), 2 inches of tire rotation (36 spoke) and wow! With tiny remote to shut off, replacing the pin doesn't turn it off. Did for a friend, but it was a while ago. Everybody knows that the bike is being messed with illegally.
Old 05-31-19, 10:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I used a really simple system for many years. A plastic coated cable and padlock. That cable was just long enough to go around my waist twice. Clip the padlock into the cable and a belt loop and it was completely secure. Every cable I've ever seen since was either too long or too short to do that with.

Yes, I had no illusion that it was theft-proof. But for a quick lockup to a sign securing both wheels, it worked. Now when I held a job in Boston, I went to a motorcycle dealer and bought a real cable lock and just left that at work. 8-10 pounds? It wasn't light!

Edit: that cable lock went on a few tours.

Ben
Old 05-31-19, 10:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by autonomy
Does anyone know, what is the most difficult lock that's not a ULock to pick/split/cut...?
Abus Granit Extreme Plus 59.
Old 05-31-19, 10:24 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
If a thief is carrying around a tool in order to steal a bike, they'll more likely choose a battery powered angle grinder in which case your u-lock or just about anything else, won't be much better than the Ottolock.
There are different kinds of thieves: the opportunists who see an unlocked bike and ride off with it; the pros who look for expensive bikes and are equipped for the job and plan ahead; and the regulars, who have the intention of stealing bikes, but aren't going into great risk for that. The latter ones will have one or several tools to cut through weak locks in seconds, but won't bother with U-locks or other serious locks, and although I have no way of knowing, I'd guess that these make up the majority of bike thefts.
Old 05-31-19, 10:30 AM
autonomy

Originally Posted by tcs
Abus Granit Extreme Plus 59.
Damn, almost 4 kilos for the lightest version and ~180ish USD. I should've said "lighter than a U-lock/motorcycle chain"
Old 05-31-19, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Looking for ideas.
I use the RockyMounts Hendrix folding lock. Weighs about pound, and pretty compact. Supposedly mid-level security. It looks tough, which I think is important to deter opportunists. No idea what it would actually take to cut it, but I'm fairly certain it's tin-snip-proof. I'm sure a mid-size bolt cutter could probably do it, and of course angle grinders cut everything.

What would really bug me about the Ottolock is that it looks as weak as it is. If you're parked next to other bikes, you don't want your lock to LOOK easier than the ones next to it.
Old 05-31-19, 11:54 AM
OBoile

Looking for ideas.
livedarklions posted a great option a few posts above yours (#38 on this thread).
Old 05-31-19, 12:00 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by subgrade
There are different kinds of thieves: the opportunists who see an unlocked bike and ride off with it; the pros who look for expensive bikes and are equipped for the job and plan ahead; and the regulars, who have the intention of stealing bikes, but aren't going into great risk for that. The latter ones will have one or several tools to cut through weak locks in seconds, but won't bother with U-locks or other serious locks, and although I have no way of knowing, I'd guess that these make up the majority of bike thefts.
I'd guess that the opportunists are the majority. But having said that, knowing your location and crowd makes a big difference. "Regulars" are very unlikely to be patrolling around a small town, or even low traffic places in the suburbs, looking for bikes to steal, so a low security lock would be fine there. Similarly, if you're leaving your bike locked next to a bunch of unlocked bikes, just about any thief is going to go for the low hanging fruit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.