Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain tool for shop and for touring

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-19-19, 07:34 PM
mmarino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the Forum. Hope I'm doing this correctly. Can anyone recommend a good all around chain tool, or one for my garage shop and one for when I'm touring? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-19-19, 09:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
As a lifer in the LBS scene I prefer tools that are specific and not designed around stylish or packaging pressures. The Park CT-5 has been my tour/tandem chain tool for years. It's good enough for more then occasional home use, some shops I've been in have it as their bench chain tool. Andy
Old 08-19-19, 11:17 PM
mmarino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Andy

I was leaning toward the Park chain tools, but not so sure of the model. Your recommendation is welcome news. Thank you kindly
Old 08-20-19, 05:37 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I will second Andy's suggestion. We do multi month tours and that is the tool in my kit. It is the only one I have so it gets used at home also.
Old 08-20-19, 06:13 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have had a Park CT5 for 20+ years and it does everything I need it to do. Roger
Old 08-20-19, 06:35 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I own the Park CT5 and the X-Tools Pro Chain Riveter. I prefer the X-Tools one for a couple of useful features. It has an adjustable and locking barrel so you can set a stop for the pin. Keeps it from pushing right through if you don't want to completely remove the pin.

It also has a locking barrel on the screw itself so you can set it to stop a new pin at a specific depth.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...r/rp-prod10186
Old 08-20-19, 08:21 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk25
I prefer the X-Tools one for a couple of useful features. It has an adjustable and locking barrel so you can set a stop for the pin. Keeps it from pushing right through if you don't want to completely remove the pin.
This was a useful feature in the past era of 5 and 6-speed chains where reusing an existing pin was normal and common. These days with 8-speed and up, particularly up, narrow chains with flush pins, reusing a pin is not recommended and leaves a weak spot in the chain. With new chains you remove the pin completely and replace it with a specific joining pin (Shimano) or a master link (everyone else). So the depth stop on a chain tool is no longer useful.
Old 08-20-19, 08:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by mmarino
New to the Forum. Hope I'm doing this correctly. Can anyone recommend a good all around chain tool, or one for my garage shop and one for when I'm touring? Thanks for your input.
For the shop, I much prefer the Park CT-3.2 chain tool over the CT-5. Someone at my co-op thought the CT-5 is better so we have been stuck with those things for 5 or 6 years. I hate using them. They physically hurt my hands when I use them.

For on the bike, the number of choices are almost limitless but many of them are of limited use. On the plus side, few of them will ever be needed so the limited use isn't all that limiting. I've carried a chain tool on every bike ride for most of 40 years and I've used it exactly once. I'm not a fan of the chunky on bike tools like the Topeak Alien and prefer tools that are more traditional in fit and use. My current favorite set is the Fix-it-Sticks Mountain. I haven't had to use the chain tool on the road but I have used it at home and it works well enough.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-20-19, 08:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I have the Part CT5 and keep it in my tool bag on my bike. I also use it as my main shop chain breaker. Cheap chain tools, and the chain tools that are included on some multi tools, are generally not up to regular shop use, and may leave you stranded if they fail when you ened them on the side of the road.

There are few breakdowns apart from a broken chain that can't be solved (at least temporarily) by borrowing a pair of pliers from someone whose house you broke down in front of. I don't like walking home, and calling for a ride is a failed outing in my opinion. The Park CT5 is like $15 iirc.
Old 08-20-19, 10:37 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Park CT-4.3 for my workshop:

Park CT-6.3 folding tool for the saddle bag. It's compact and won't poke holes in my spare tube:

Old 08-21-19, 01:20 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you want a dedicated tool for touring, CT-5 is good. I always had reasonable luck using the chain breaker on my Crankbrothers M18 until I started working as a mechanic, and think most people are fine with a multitool chain breaker assuming its compatible with the chain they use (a lot of them aren't really designed for 11 and 12 speed, though this is changing, my Park IB-3 will do 12 speed except AXS). Pro shop tools are about durability over hundreds to thousands of uses and small optimizations of speed. I need to break a chain on my personal bikes--what, maybe annually?
Old 08-21-19, 06:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

I have a Park CT-3 for home use. It's a shop quality tool I bought for it's durability and ease of use. I'll never come close to wearing it out but it's far to big and heavy for take-along.

For take-along on my bikes I have a couple of no longer available Ritchey "CPR 5" tools. These are very small, very light (25 grams) tools whose screw press is operated with the 4 mm hex wrench on my multi-tool. They would never hold up to routine use but for (hopefully) very occasional on-road use they are adequate. Over the years I've used them twice on other people's chains so they do work.
Old 08-21-19, 07:07 AM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
I carry a Crankbrothers M-19 multi tool on longer outings. I have never had to use it on the road but I did verify that the chain tool works in my home shop before carrying it. The tool has just about anything you would need on the road in a slick easy to carry pkg.
Old 08-21-19, 11:32 AM
mmarino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the awesome responses on the chain tool question

I'm honored to be a part of Bike Forums. I'm also thankful that people take the time to give thoughtful responses with pictures and links attached. Glad I found the site. Another BIG thanks. Marty
Old 08-21-19, 03:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Does anyone remember the Cyclo Rivoli chain tool? It was around in the 70s and 80s. I miss that one. I broke a few, but I also mastered its use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-21-19, 04:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK.
I carry a Crankbrothers M-19 multi tool on longer outings. I have never had to use it on the road but I did verify that the chain tool works in my home shop before carrying it. The tool has just about anything you would need on the road in a slick easy to carry pkg.
another suggestion recommendation of a good multi tool

mine is a lexyne rap 20, the chain tool looks similar to the one that this guy shows
I was amazed how competently the chain tool works. I busted my shop one years ago, and so use the multi tool one whenever I put on a new chain. Keep meaning to buy a shop one, but if you also need a multi tool--great for touring in any case, look into these well made multi tools that have quality, well working chain tools.

my rap 20 was probably 40 bucks here in canada when I got it. Not a cheapie, but well worth it.
Old 08-21-19, 04:49 PM
MrK.

Bikes: 2011 Handsome/ Twin Six Speedy Devil, 2006 Soma Groove, 1991 Haro Impulse Comp, 1987 KHS Montana Pro, 1986 Ross Mount Hood, 1986 Mongoose ATB, 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker I, 1973 World Voyageur, 1941 Schwinn DX "Klunker"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
another suggestion recommendation of a good multi tool

mine is a lexyne rap 20, the chain tool looks similar to the one that this guy shows
I was amazed how competently the chain tool works. I busted my shop one years ago, and so use the multi tool one whenever I put on a new chain. Keep meaning to buy a shop one, but if you also need a multi tool--great for touring in any case, look into these well made multi tools that have quality, well working chain tools.

my rap 20 was probably 40 bucks here in canada when I got it. Not a cheapie, but well worth it.
You win this round, mine has no dedicated bottle opener. I was able to coax the cap off a cold one just now with the 10 mm wrench.
Old 08-21-19, 05:48 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by MrK.
You win this round, mine has no dedicated bottle opener. I was able to coax the cap off a cold one just now with the 10 mm wrench.
its not a competition, but funnily enough, if you had asked me if there was a bottle opener on it, I would have said no.
Tend to carry an old swiss army knive , so would have used the bottle opener on that, and not thought of the multi tool...

again, Im a touring guy, so if this person is interested in touring, I'd spend the money on a good quality multi tool , more use for the buck traveling etc.
Old 08-21-19, 06:37 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by noglider
Does anyone remember the Cyclo Rivoli chain tool? It was around in the 70s and 80s. I miss that one. I broke a few, but I also mastered its use.
Both remember it and owned one as it was the first chain tool I ever bought. And, yes, mine broke too and that's when I bought the Park CT3.
Old 08-21-19, 09:54 PM
mmarino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had Cyclo Rivolis back in the late 80's early 90's

Got a lot of use out of it, but broke both actually. Didn't even think about it until reading one of the posts. Looked it up on the web. They range in price from $7 to $12. And at Walmart.com to boot. Go figure. Thanks guys.
Old 08-22-19, 04:22 AM
markdeman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After breaking a cheap chain tool that came in a big bicycle repairing kit, I bought a BBB Profi Connect Chain Tool. It has a very comfortable handle comparable with the X-Tools Pro Chain Riveter and so far has survived all the rusty chains that I removed from old bikes. I expect this tool will be here for the rest of my life. One thing I noticed with the really cheap tools is that the pin was bent and not replaceable, otherwise I could still have used the tool with another pin. I think all decent tools have replaceable pins, but maybe its something to check for when buying the tool.