Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet more trainer advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Yet more trainer advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 03:48 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm getting sick of my Minoura magnetic and thinking fluid. I understand that some of you have opinions. I know from the last TT I attended no one used magnetic. All fluid. They all looked very happy.

hokay...for the sake of all those poor souls who use the search and will follow...

how important is the flywheel weight? This must allow some coasting, as opposed to my current setup which is basically up Mount Everest, then full brakes.

How cool is the 1up? I think I like this thing, but what's it like everyday?

Basically its up to this:

1UP sweat maker.

or this:

Fluid 2 sweat-o-matic

'cause the weather, she suckdiddlyucks.

More trainer threads..Yayyyy....

Old 11-07-05, 04:05 PM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I like my fluid 2, but there is no coasting. The flywheel is such small diameter that it can't overcome the fluid resistance for more that a second or so. I think it is more of a fan to keep the fluid chamber cool. It's uphill all the way, but you can vary the grade by choice of gears.
Old 11-07-05, 04:07 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Fluid2
Huge power
Smooth quiet operation

and Saris is an outstanding company. I do a LOT of business with them and they have NEVER let us down.
Saris builds the Fluid 2

Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

I have five winters on mine, 60-90 minutes a day...no problem.

Best one I have ever ridden. Without question.
Old 11-07-05, 04:09 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
I like my fluid 2, but there is no coasting. The flywheel is such small diameter that it can't overcome the fluid resistance for more that a second or so. I think it is more of a fan to keep the fluid chamber cool. It's uphill all the way, but you can vary the grade by choice of gears.
The new ones have a larger flywheel.

I like my smaller one better. More work. But the bigger one makes the rolling resistance ease negligable.

Work is good.

Uphill is good.
Old 11-07-05, 04:10 PM
DocRay

No doubt the fluids are reliable, but the 1UP gets very nice comparative reviews. Anyone gone from fluid to 1UP?

Last edited by DocRay; 11-07-05 at 04:21 PM.

Old 11-07-05, 04:20 PM
Hoop
BBall junkie

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 1up and it's outstanding.

Fluid2 receives lots of attention for a fluid trainer but if I was going that route, I would go with the Kurt Kinetic. It is designed to eliminate eventual fluid leak around the rotating shaft.
Old 11-07-05, 04:43 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Doc...
Why all the fuss and expense?
It's just a trainer.

I just read some expert advice about using a trainer, and confirmed it with my LBS owner who is a cycling instructor--30 minutes a day. That's really all that does any good on the thing.

Just rest a little...
Do that little 30 minutes a day....
Use other parts of your body if your need for workouts is greater than 30 minutes on a trainer.
Count the days to spring!
Old 11-08-05, 10:51 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have to force myself to use a trainer. 30 minutes a day on that thing is about all I can take. Actually I usually hit the stairclimber one day, treadmill, the next, and the trainer the third day. Kinda breaks up the monotony.
Old 11-08-05, 10:58 AM
Albany-12303

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its not really a flywheel, its more of a heat sink. Thats why its not smooth and is full of ridges and valleys, to increase the surface area.

I wish that they could make it in the shape of a pan, so that I could gauge my effort by trying to fry an egg - but I am sure that I could never get it hot enough for bacon or hash browns.
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 11-08-05, 11:54 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by Hipcycler
Doc...
Why all the fuss and expense?
It's just a trainer.

I just read some expert advice about using a trainer, and confirmed it with my LBS owner who is a cycling instructor--30 minutes a day. That's really all that does any good on the thing.
Well...30 minutes of any bad experience is like 30 years, especially on a trainer. I disagree, 30 minutes is a starting point, but to get the leg burn of my daily ride I'm better at 45-60min. I'm learning to appreciate the Minoura magnetic now that I'm learning how to get the most out of it. If I don't wake up the next day with sore legs, it's not enough. It's kinda fun to do a ballistic sprint without worrying if Sally SUV is behind you with you in her target site.

I've got this setup in a finished basement with a fan in front of a TV. A one-hour TV show just about does it, or a few stages of the 2004 Giro, the Paris-niece, the Milano-sanremo...

Also, this is important from this latitude because in a few weeks, the weather turns to total crap until May. One bonus, no knaves in my basement.

Old 11-08-05, 11:58 AM
DocRay

Originally Posted by Albany-12303
Its not really a flywheel, its more of a heat sink. Thats why its not smooth and is full of ridges and valleys, to increase the surface area.
No. that's the resistence unit.

The flywheel is just added rotating mass and shaped like a fan to increase air flow around the heat fins on the other side. The minoura has a 1kg flywheel, Fluid2's are now almost 3kg -getting close to a spinner bike.

I think that's why some of you think 30 minutes is tops. Older trainers have no or small flywheels, the inertia gives your legs some rest, similar to coasting and closer to real riding. There is one stupid ad for some trainer that claims "51%" more real than any other. I like to know how they came up with that number that means nothing.

Old 11-08-05, 12:04 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by Hoop
I have the 1up and it's outstanding.
how does it work? It's not fluid or magnetic. Counter-rotating hamsters?

It looks like I'll need this..the thong...dead sexy.

Last edited by DocRay; 11-08-05 at 03:26 PM.

Old 11-08-05, 12:07 PM
Albany-12303

Bikes: 4 Bikes: A Trek 2300,Old Nishiki lugged frame with sora/Campy wheels, Giant ATX-880 MTB & 2005 Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
No. that's the resistence unit.
My bad
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 11-08-05, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rush Limbaugh recommends all fluid trainers.
Old 11-08-05, 12:55 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by 1955
Rush Limbaugh recommends all fluid trainers.
Oh..sooo many drugs ...so many drugs...

"these drug users are undermining traditional family values, they should just all be locked away."

--R. Limbaugh on his radio show in 1993, while addicted to several illegally purchased pain killers.

Old 11-16-05, 09:01 AM
DocRay

Update, the answer is none of the above.

I went with the Kurt Kinetic. For a few reasons:
1up guys are very close to getting their asses sued for some of the ridiculous statements on the 1up website, and on the phone, the only reason they could give me to get this thing is that it is "made in America" ( maybe assembled in America). Whatever.

The Cyce-ops trainer was actually designed by the same guy who designed the Kurt Kinetic, but he sold the patent on the Cycle-ops design. Despite all warranties, the fail rate on these is still pretty high. The kinetic has a fundamentally different design and a heavier flywheel. My guess is that flywheel weights are going to go up and up.

Old 11-16-05, 10:16 AM
smoke
Royal Grand Exalted Pooba

Bikes: Time VXR ProTeam, Look 695, Pinarello Paris Carbon, Ridley Dean, Time ZXRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update, the answer is none of the above.

I went with the Kurt Kinetic. For a few reasons:
1up guys are very close to getting their asses sued for some of the ridiculous statements on the 1up website, and on the phone, the only reason they could give me to get this thing is that it is "made in America" ( maybe assembled in America). Whatever.

The Cyce-ops trainer was actually designed by the same guy who designed the Kurt Kinetic, but he sold the patent on the Cycle-ops design. Despite all warranties, the fail rate on these is still pretty high. The kinetic has a fundamentally different design and a heavier flywheel. My guess is that flywheel weights are going to go up and up.
good choice. i was going to recommend the kurt until i saw this message. i've had one for a few years and never had a bit of trouble with it. i live in ohio, so i understand your weather problems. same here. i'm about to move into the basement and will be there on the bike until may as well. the kurt kinetic works like a champ with very little upkeep. if you haven't already ordered it, i recommend the heavier resistance unit that they offer. and 30 minutes doesn't work for me, either. hour to an hour and a half will really trrash me
Old 11-16-05, 10:20 AM
Albany-12303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh..sooo many drugs ...so many drugs...

"these drug users are undermining traditional family values, they should just all be locked away."

--R. Limbaugh on his radio show in 1993, while addicted to several illegally purchased pain killers.

You get Rush up in Canada?
1999 Giant ATX 880 MTB
Old 11-16-05, 10:24 AM
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Nashbar watt master fluid trainer. I really like it. My only complaint is that the resistance is lacking a little.

Last edited by Dead Extra #2; 11-16-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 10:55 AM
doco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a Cyclops Fluid and used it for season and it devoloped leaks. I then went with the Kurt and now have had no problems for 2 winters. The larger flywheel is the kicker for me, very smooth and coast down feeling is great. Plus no leaks to worry about. The onl;y drawback it's not cheap...
Old 11-16-05, 12:26 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead Extra #2
I have the Nasbar watt master fluid trainer. I really like it. My only complaint is that the resistance is lacking a little.
Same here, My friend uses the 1-Up and loves it. But my Nashbar fluid trainer has been reliable, quiet, smooth, and affordable. Its made by Elite but I've noticed its prices have risen dramatically in the last few months. I purchased two of them for under $100 each!

Can't beat that!
Old 11-16-05, 01:08 PM
DocRay

Originally Posted by Albany-12303
You get Rush up in Canada?
Airwaves know no borders. The most disturbing thing about Rush is that he is on armed forces radio, living off of tax dollars.

Old 11-16-05, 01:20 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I have a cyclops fluid2, have been using it for the past 4 years.
First resistance unit started to leak ever so slightly. Called Graber
products, 2 or 3 days later I have a new resistance unit and
a prepaid return invoice.
No questions asked, just told them it was leaking.
Great customer service.
No problems since and that was 3 years ago.

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 11-16-05, 01:44 PM
DocRay

Kurt has an explanation about leaking here. But keep in mind he's slagging his own previous design.

https://www.kurtkinetic.com/wont_leak.php

cycle ops has decided to do good warranties knowing that most people use their trainers less than they think they will.

The Kurt also has more fins to get rid of heat.

Old 11-16-05, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro & Iron Horse Mavrick 5.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airwaves know no borders. The most disturbing thing about Rush is that he is on armed forces radio, living off of tax dollars.
Just like NPR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.