Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What makes pros so much quicker?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What makes pros so much quicker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-15, 06:32 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by calimtb

Give Lebron James enough hours of training and he could generate enormous power and speed on a bicycle.

Put an NBA athlete on a bike first time and they will generate enormous power and speed.
Perhaps, perhaps not. You are basing your whole argument on an assumption. Power to weight really matters.
Old 09-28-15, 06:37 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Old 09-28-15, 07:01 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Cycling is about having a massive V02 Max and Lactate Threshold. Basketball is about being tall. Less than 20 players under 6 feet have played in the NBA. One out of every 4 people in the US over 7 feet either play or played in the NBA.
Old 09-28-15, 07:04 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
not one cyclist, NBA, NFL athlete on the list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars
Old 09-28-15, 07:05 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
on this list..different story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supers...tes_Superstars

still no cyclist though.
Old 09-28-15, 07:27 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put an NBA athlete on a bike first time and they will generate enormous power and speed. There are many nba players who are around 63" (miguel indurain height) and I am quite certain they could go very fast on a bicycle.
63"? There was only one NBA player who was 63". Muggsy Bogues.
Old 09-28-15, 07:36 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy
I aim to start racing next year.

I played basketball, football and ran the 400m growing up and never once considered cycling as a sport.

I started cycling after I had kids, but the kids took so much of my time, I put it on hold for about 8 years or so.

I started back this year now that they can ride with me (9 and 11 years old). My 11 year old decided he wants cycling to be his Spring/Summer sport.

He raced the state TT at the end of this Summer and had a blast (took 3rd). I told him if he wants to win, he will need to ride year round. He chose not to give up football or basketball to win bike races...
That's a bit much to expect of an 11 year old. Good way to discourage him.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-28-15, 07:39 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

As I said before, I never suggested drafting was the only factor. I simply stated it was a factor that had not been mentioned up to that point.

I'm curious as to what the time might be for a Cat1 racer with the exact same equipment and course, assuming no PED's were involved. A big if.
Because it's not relevant.

Old 09-28-15, 07:43 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
That's a bit much to expect of an 11 year old. Good way to discourage him.
Thanks.
Old 09-28-15, 07:45 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

And you don't think that if you trained full time (no other commitments) that you could reach a pro peloton?
I was a cat 2 also. No, I could not have made the pro peloton. I think that if I had done things differently, I could have been slightly better, from a lousy 2 to a half-way decent 2. That's about it.
You realize the difference when you race with top guys. When Davis Phinney and Harvey Nitz showed up, the question was how many laps would I last before getting dropped, not if I could beat them.

We also had a promising junior on our team. 1st year senior he started placing & winning races. Next year, a bigger team lured him away. 2 years later, rode on LeMond's team in the Giro D'Italia ..... just a whole different class.

Old 09-28-15, 08:26 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Not at all. I make the comparison to illustrate that the worlds best athletes aren't riding bicycles. I know comprehension is hard for some people so I'll work on highlighting my points in the future.
Basketball and football players relate more to the speed events at the velodrome more than the road. Some of our country's best sprinters came from a football background. Bill Walton used to race at the velodrome outside of Porrland, Oregon.
Old 09-28-15, 08:35 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by HOWSER
With the key word "typical", I bet it's half that. This is excluding the top tier pros.
My friend's brother rode for Garmin and Giant/Shimano. He was a domestic. He was making six figures.
Old 09-28-15, 10:14 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Evelyn Stevens
Old 09-29-15, 12:41 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackdays
It's all about enormous power and speed bro.

Forget duration, that's for chumps.
don't forget aerodynamic handlebars and drafting in a 200-pack!
Old 09-29-15, 07:18 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
There's a reason why a domestique may make $200K per year whereas a scrub reserve like Tristan Thompson can command over $18 million a year. Lebron James and Durant will likely make $30+ million a year. Audiences and sponsors pay a premium to watch the very best athletes. And pro cyclists don't fit that bill.
Like those baseball players right. And those race car drivers.
Old 09-29-15, 07:23 AM
baribari

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B1KE
Hey everyone,

September marks my first year in cycling so I apologize in advanced if it's a newbie or stupid question.

I've managed to up my avg speed to around 27-28km which I'm happy with. I follow a lot of quick roadies on Strava who average 32-33km per hour which I think was fast until I was watching some stages of the Tour De France and the pros their average 44-47km an hour over 100km+ of terrain.

Keep in mind the roadies are also guys who train, eat properly and have a dedicated riding scheduled so what do the pros do that make them so much quicker than the talented roadies?
Mostly it's because the peleton moves WAAAAY faster than any single rider could for those sort of distances. But the ability to put out 400+ watts for an hour basically comes down to genetics and years of dedicated training since childhood.
Old 09-29-15, 08:16 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put an NBA athlete on a bike first time and they will generate enormous power and speed. There are many nba players who are around 63" (miguel indurain height) and I am quite certain they could go very fast on a bicycle.
Indurain was 74" tall. You're as bad at math as you are logic.
Old 09-29-15, 08:40 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling doesn't get the most gifted athletes. That's not to say they aren't gifted, however.

The best athletes gravitate towards sports which offer the most rewards: both material and symbolic. In the US, those would be football, basketball and baseball.

Cycling is a sport for averaged sized men: typically around average height with a wiry build. Most of the pro's are based in europe anyway, so we're talking apples and oranges here.
For the most part, I don't see athletes that play basketball or football being the type that would do well at cycling, due to the sizes of the average participant.

On the other hand, I could see someone that was cut from the HS football or basketball team being pretty good at cycling. As the reason why they could have been cut, could have just been that they were not beefy and/or tall enough to play those sports at the HS level and above. Someone 5'7" and 125# or so would be too small to play HS football or basketball, but that lack of size would help them in cycling.

Now, for track, tennis, baseball, and wrestling the smaller size would not be as much of a disadvantage, as those sports are either more skilled based, or have weight classes. And quickness is more important than sheer speed. Now, we'd have to look at muscle groups to tell how much overlap those sports have with cycling.

GH
Old 09-29-15, 08:50 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Maybe this is relevant, maybe not.

My high school's big rival when I was growing up typically had better athletes because they recruited from all over the city for sports, while we just went with whoever was admitted on academic grounds.

While I was in HS, they recruited Sean Taylor to play football. I played against him, and he was clearly a man amongst boys. He crushed us and was physically clearly superior to everyone else on the field with speed and size and talent. They won the state championship, he went on to play for UM and would have been an NFL hall of famer if not for his untimely murder.

That same HS also recruited a super-talented runner for their cross country team a few years later, Andrew Talansky. Much skinnier and with great endurance, he won a ton of cross country races and then took up cycling in the offseason. He ended up being recruited by a college cycling team, won the national championship the next year, and has now made a name for himself at the TdF as a pro tour rider.

Point is- Andrew ran from a young age and knew he wanted to participate in endurance sports. He didn't try out for his school's football team and get cut, he specialized in his preferred discipline long before he got recruited. Same story with Sean. He played peewee football and excelled, and he focused on that for the rest of his life. Both of them had genetic predispositions to excel at their chosen activities. Sean would maybe have been a decent amateur sprinter on a bike if he'd taken that up from a young age, but he would never have been able to make it to the professional level, even if he'd worked just as hard as Andrew.
Old 09-29-15, 08:52 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puddinlegs
In each sport, there are a handful of guys/gals who can indeed perform at world class levels in a different sport, but even in that 1%, they're relatively rare. Mr. Bolt? Sure, I'll bet he could have been a hell of a kilo rider. A TdF GC contender? Not so much. I'd put my money on taking a world class XC skier and putting them on a bike.
Agree.

There have been a few Pro players that have been drafted or played in multiple professional sports.

Deion Sanders, Brian Jordan, Bo Jackson, Dave Winfield, Tom Glavine (drafted in hockey)

I'm sure that there are more, but this list is extremely small. And these guys are very gifted athletes, and less than 1% are good enough to play or get drafted in multiple sports.

GH
Old 09-29-15, 09:00 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Agree.

There have been a few Pro players that have been drafted or played in multiple professional sports.

Deion Sanders, Brian Jordan, Bo Jackson, Dave Winfield, Tom Glavine (drafted in hockey)

I'm sure that there are more, but this list is extremely small. And these guys are very gifted athletes, and less than 1% are good enough to play or get drafted in multiple sports.

GH
Right, even Jordan was just a mediocre minor league baseball player when he tried to give that a shot. Everyone says Lebron James could be a professional football player if he spent a couple weeks practicing. I don't think that's true, there is so much more to going pro in any given sport than basic athleticism.
Old 09-29-15, 09:07 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lebron whines when he gets touched. Me thinks there's not a football player hiding in there.
Old 09-29-15, 09:09 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Give Lebron James enough hours of training and he could generate enormous power and speed on a bicycle.
In the ESPN article about Barry Bonds sponsoring a women's team that went around a bit ago was a description of the first time he tried to ride the new road bike he got himself after retiring.

It goes exactly like I would expect, not as you would. He thought it would be easy, but I think now he'd be the first to admit he isn't going to be fast relative to the fast guys.

Someone here did the trip that Andy Hampsten runs that includes Stelvio. One of the posts was this great story of Hampsten riding up and down the road up the pass, no handed carrying an armload of water bottles not even winded checking on all his riders who were suffering away. He's in his 50s and long retired.

If money is an indicator of how good of an athlete you are, Donald Trump must be bleeping amazing.
Old 09-29-15, 09:12 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Lebron whines when he gets touched. Me thinks there's not a football player hiding in there.
good point
Old 09-29-15, 09:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Cycling is about having a massive V02 Max and Lactate Threshold. Basketball is about being tall. Less than 20 players under 6 feet have played in the NBA. One out of every 4 people in the US over 7 feet either play or played in the NBA.

Many, many of you guys need to stick with cycling, because you don't know squat about the ball sports.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.