Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experiences with Carver rigid steel fork?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 11:24 PM
adlu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm using an old steel Stumpjumper frame to build a bikepacking bike for a long term trip through Latin America and looking for a rigid steel fork to replace the Rockshox Mag21 fork. Ideally the fork would have both canti mounts and a disc rotor mount for ultimate flexibility, but I'm also open to canti-only.

I found a promising option from Carver bikes (bikeman.com) at Bikeman Carver Bikes Steel Rigid Mountain Fork, 1-1/8'' 410mm
but I haven't been able to find any reviews or forum posts about this fork so I'm hesitant to order it. I searched in this forum and it's been mentioned as an option a couple of times, but nobody had actually used it.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could share their thoughts/experiences about this Carver rigid fork. Or if you have a pile of old 1 1/8" threadless forks and might have one that would fit the bill, please let me know! Thanks!!!
Old 10-18-19, 03:29 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Can't help with Carver fork information.

I've had 8 years so far out of my Soma Fabrications rigid replacement. Absolutely no installation, handling or maintenance issues. This is on a bike that I use for heavy touring and thrashing through the woods at times. They're a well respected company that does very well finishing their products. I lust for one of their complete bikes!
Likes For North Coast Joe:
Old 10-18-19, 11:28 AM
adlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like Soma still sells their 26" canti rigid fork:
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...40mm-80mm-3476

It's beyond my budget but I'll keep an eye out for a used one.
Old 10-18-19, 11:42 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
I have the Carver rigid fork on this bike, no disc brake mounting tabs cantilever only. No issues or problems. It's not light but it's lighter than the suspension fork it replaced.

Old 10-18-19, 02:56 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
The axle to crown length on the Soma is a bit too long to replace a Mag 21 fork. The Carver is a more reasonable replacement. Its a steel fork, I don't know what kind of problems you could have with it. The welds would have to be pretty bad to fail. At that price point, all of the forks will be of Chinese origin.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-18-19, 09:28 PM
adlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I have the Carver rigid fork on this bike, no disc brake mounting tabs cantilever only. No issues or problems. It's not light but it's lighter than the suspension fork it replaced.

Hi, thanks for your reply! Any feedback on how the Carver rigid fork compares to other rigid forks you've used in terms of stiffness, ride comfort, flexiness?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-19, 07:07 AM
GeezyRider 

I rescued this bike (late 90's Giant Iguana) from a dumpster at my Sister in-law's beach home. I never rode it with the original suspension fork so I can't compare it to that. All of my road bikes have steel forks with curved fork blades which helps to absorb road shock/vibration. With the 26x2.1 tires inflated to 65 psi on this straight bladed fork, it feels similar to my road bikes. I replaced the drop bars with a flat bar and I feel little or no vibration through the handlebars. It feels solid but not harsh if that makes any sense.

I haven't noticed any flexing or handling issues but I don't ride single track or anything technical on this bike. It is ridden primarily on various road surfaces with some riding on crushed limestone or gravelly/sandy trails and pathways. I replaced the original stem with a shorter one and it handles just fine and doesn't feel at all twitchy. For me, this was a good low cost option that I am well pleased with.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-19, 07:20 AM
GeezyRider 

I just re-read your original post and noticed that you are going to be bikepacking with your bike. I don't know how much you intend to carry but I think this fork would handle a loaded front rack quite well.

Best of luck. Sounds like a great adventure!

Last edited by GeezyRider; 10-19-19 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 10-21-19, 06:22 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
No experience with Carver, however I recently built a rigid 26er using a Sunlite fork: https://www.modernbike.com/sunlite-r...-fork-26-black

Super inexpensive and I have no complaints so far.

If you wanted disc capability down the road Origin8 has a fork that can handle either setup: https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-c...hreadless-fork
Likes For Synack42:
Old 10-22-19, 11:22 AM
adlu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I just re-read your original post and noticed that you are going to be bikepacking with your bike. I don't know how much you intend to carry but I think this fork would handle a loaded front rack quite well.

Best of luck. Sounds like a great adventure!
Don, thanks so much for sharing your observations about the Carver fork! It sounds like a really good option for me. I'm going to scour craigslist and forums for a little while longer to find a used fork, but if I don't find one in the next 2 weeks I'll spring for the Carver.

I'm still in the process of experimenting with bikepacking bags and racks, but I think it's likely that I'll use a mini front rack to support my day pack and fork leg cages for cylindrical objects.
Old 02-01-22, 05:23 PM
mike_in_nyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have the Carver Fork and it works well. I also considered the Soma fork but it was twice the price. I’m using it on a 2001 Marin Hawk hill. I went with the 410mm.
Old 02-03-22, 10:51 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
+1 with above. Also, I used the Sunlite fork on my daughter's bike and it was adequate for her application.

Last edited by 2old; 02-03-22 at 12:39 PM.