Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cable/casing cutter?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cable/casing cutter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 07:14 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I use some basic wire cutters for slicing housing and a separate wire-cutting tool for cutting cables. The key to longevity of the latter is to only use it for cutting cables.
Old 02-09-20, 07:15 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
I've always used a Dremel cutoff and bench grinder to clean the edge of the casing and one of a couple smaller nails to clean the opening..

However, I recently bought a pair of Hozan C-217 after reading so many people here swear they'll cut evenly. I found that on at least 50% of cuts I don't need to clean up after. Amazon has them for ~$32 right now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OFW5Q6

Two other things to say: One, I've only used the Hozans on a couple dozen bikes at this point, so my long-term feedback is limited. Two, I hear the vintage VAR cutters also will cut as cleanly as the Hozans. I just haven't managed to snag a pair at a reasonable price yet to confirm.
I posted these beat-up, spring-less, pivot-replaced vintage Var cutters in the "Favorite Bike Tools?" thread a while back. They still work perfectly! They were going to be thrown out at the bike shop I used to work at!

Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 02-09-20, 07:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
At home I have the Felco and at work I don't recall if they're old VAR or Shimano. Both work fine.
Grind/file housings and poke with a pointy tool/nail whatever's handy
The Felco are not used exclusively on bikes. I have a roll of SS cable to make things like lanyards for hitch pins or hangers for bird feeders etc.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-09-20, 07:23 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
How are you guys who use grinding methods to cut and/or square the ends of the housing getting the grit storm out of your cable housings?
Especially with the better housings being pre-lubricated, you wouldn't want to just blast any aerosol cleaner through and wash out the special silicone/teflon lubrication.
The millions of grit dust particles from cutting I imagine would easily simulate perhaps thousands of miles of typical use/ageing by contamination.
Haven't experienced anything that indicates deterioration due to grinding the ends, or cutting with a Dremel. It doesn't concern me, and if it was good enough for Sheldon, it's good enough for me.

"Even when the housing is cut cleanly, the end is not square and perpendicular, due to the pitch of the helix. Careful mechanics will grind or file the end of the housing so that it is flat and flush. The best tool for this is a grinding wheel, but it can be done with a file if you don't have access to a grinding wheel.When you cut the housing, the end of the plastic liner also gets cut, and often gets squashed flat. You can use a scriber or a sharp awl to open it up and round it out. If you use a grinding wheel to dress the end of the housing, have your scriber right at hand so that you can open up the plastic liner immediately after grinding. The heat from the grinding will partially melt the liner. By sticking the scriber in before the liner cools off, you can not only round out the end, but the shape of the scriber will actually flare the end a bit for a smoother transition." - Sheldon Brown
Old 02-09-20, 07:26 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I use Jagwire cutters for gear and brake cables and housing. The housing I always cut with a piece of old cable in the canal. That keeps it from getting mashed. Smooth the ends with a file and I use a pick from a walnut cracker set to make sure the canal is open and round.
+1
"The housing I always cut with a piece of old cable in the canal. That keeps it from getting mashed."
My cutter is a 25 year old Shimano that still cuts cleanly.
Old 02-09-20, 09:06 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
How are you guys who use grinding methods to cut and/or square the ends of the housing getting the grit storm out of your cable housings?
I considered this when I started using the Dremel years ago with the cheap unreinforced wheels and for the RD end cut I would install a cable near the cut and right after when the liner is still warm I shove the cable through, thinking it will remove any debris. Being a now retired ex-maintenance engineer when I change the families housing/cables (or any parts) I always look things over carefully as I have the time and see no indication of embedded grit impact on liners at the stops. I now use the Dremel 506CU cutting wheel which Dremel claims to last more than 20x longer with very fancy grit and admit it is not showing any wear to date and it may actually be cutting cooler so don't worry about a grit issue if there ever was one.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 02-09-20, 10:14 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Used to be an electrician. Still have most of my handtools. This one cuts through cable housing like butter. Then, use an ice pick to open up hole at end. Klien makes good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Leverage-Comm...03161356&psc=1
Old 02-09-20, 10:22 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Knipex ****s were my favorite tool for cutting cables, old school coiled housing, and spokes BITD.

Edit: apparently the common term for diagonal cutters is banned... I'd like to add that those Hozan cutters look very tempting. Anyone using them on shift housing? Can they cut it cleanly? I don't have much experience with newer bicycle specific housing cutters. I was always somewhat annoyed by the special Shimano cutters we were obligated to use when digital shifting came out.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame

I really wish the site's censor coding would learn what is meant as a derogatory term and what is an everyday normal nomenclature for something.

Bill
Someone should post a thread in the User Assistance forum. I would, but I don't know the word.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-09-20, 10:55 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Someone should post a thread in the User Assistance forum. I would, but I don't know the word.

The word in question is a different way to spell the word for an embankment that holds water out of the Netherlands. It is an adaptation of "diag" which is short for the "diagonal" in "diagonal cutters". (wikipedia)

I think the use of such a word for diagonal cutters is quite regional. I never heard it in Minnesota where I grew up, but in New England it seems pretty common. I have a friend from Kansas City who says his dad used the word, but when he moved to California nobody knew what he was saying.
Old 02-09-20, 04:44 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The word in question is a different way to spell the word for an embankment that holds water out of the Netherlands. It is an adaptation of "diag" which is short for the "diagonal" in "diagonal cutters". (wikipedia)

I think the use of such a word for diagonal cutters is quite regional. I never heard it in Minnesota where I grew up, but in New England it seems pretty common. I have a friend from Kansas City who says his dad used the word, but when he moved to California nobody knew what he was saying.
Gotcha!!!

I've heard them referred to as such- but not popular usage around here.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-09-20, 05:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Haven't experienced anything that indicates deterioration due to grinding the ends, or cutting with a Dremel. It doesn't concern me, and if it was good enough for Sheldon, it's good enough for me.

"Even when the housing is cut cleanly, the end is not square and perpendicular, due to the pitch of the helix. Careful mechanics will grind or file the end of the housing so that it is flat and flush. The best tool for this is a grinding wheel, but it can be done with a file if you don't have access to a grinding wheel.When you cut the housing, the end of the plastic liner also gets cut, and often gets squashed flat. You can use a scriber or a sharp awl to open it up and round it out. If you use a grinding wheel to dress the end of the housing, have your scriber right at hand so that you can open up the plastic liner immediately after grinding. The heat from the grinding will partially melt the liner. By sticking the scriber in before the liner cools off, you can not only round out the end, but the shape of the scriber will actually flare the end a bit for a smoother transition." - Sheldon Brown
Ok, sorry, I must have forgotten that we were in church.

No worries, I was just asking. And I did (long ago) try cutting a few housings using a Dremel with the thin wheel. I myself would then dip the end of the housing into a tiny jar of solvent, and literally watch the grit storm fall out where it then sank in the cup. This was before the days of pre-lubricated housing though.
In most cases I was re-using discarded housing anyway, so I developed a method of scrubbing out the old housings using a bent-up piece of cable wire with ptfe spray , then spraying it out yet a second time with the dry-lube ptfe solvent spray, and finally blasting it out with compressed air. I then apply Grip-Shift Jonnisnot ptfe/teflon cable grease to the inner wire upon installation. Almost as much effort as cutting a piece of housing to length using the dremel!
This was all by trial and error you could say, worked good enough (as in "wow, that's smooth!") that I still often do the same today.

Poor 1st cut:

Better first cut:

After second cut:

I don't notice any improvement in braking when I follow a second cut with a bit of filing (done with the housing end pointed down).

Where there is not much length of ferrule, the slight tilt of an un-finished end might, might, slightly improve aesthetic entry angle in a few rare instances, but I wouldn't waste much time on it since it might as likely slightly improve the entry angle (where the cable perhaps curves to the side anyhow?).
But yeah, it sometimes just feels good to accurately square the end of the housing, so if the grinder (and a tin of solvent!) are actually at hand (mine is unfortunately way down in the defined "dirty" half of my basement workshop), then why not go for it!
(Well, it did look this clean six years ago, shown here maybe a couple of weeks after I built it)

Interesting BEFORE/AFTER, this is about how it normally looks six years later:

Last edited by dddd; 02-09-20 at 06:25 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-09-20, 06:57 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
No church, and no big deal either way.

I'm sure your brakes work great. I know mine do, too.
Old 02-09-20, 07:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy

I've watched this play out previously, and on the same term/spelling for that matter. The censors what it is, and always will be. The mods and admins are good people, friends with many of them, and not on the outs with any of them. For what they are paidI amazed they are here as long as many have been.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-09-20, 07:48 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson

Hmm, I'm from California, and I've never heard them called anything else but the term in question. Might be regional. Also, in the big cities, many if not most people are from somewhere else. Plus there's lots of dumb people.
Old 02-09-20, 08:06 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My Old Man was the UP of Michigan, did time in the USN as diesel engineman from 48-52, and took jobs as a machinist in Wisconsin while on college (UW) summer breaks. He always referred to them as 'ikes' with a d in front . How's that one?? Or better yet -- 'rhymes with bikes' )
Old 02-09-20, 08:39 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Dad is retired USN airplane mechanic. Always called diagonals "dikes" (with a Y) and linemans pliers "kleins". He was born in the 'deep south', so not sure where he got it from.

Old 02-09-20, 08:48 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Always called them wire cutters myself, though today I probably use them on zip-ties as much as anything.
Old 02-09-20, 08:52 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Always called them wire cutters myself.
Yup. I typically call tools based on function. Cutters. Crimpers. Strippers. BFH. Medieval 10lb cotter removal beast (VAR-07).

Old 02-09-20, 11:10 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
These work amazingly well at an astonishing price:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...0127/300513196

I always use a cut off disc with a Demel style tool to finish of the cable housing ends; especially after curving the cable housing on the compressionless style "SIS" derailleur cable housing at the chainstay cable stop to derailleur body section- eliminates any play for crisp, precise indexed shifting.
Likes For elcraft:
Old 02-09-20, 11:21 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I too am astonished at how cheap that tools can be these days. And a lot of these things are made of great materials on sophisticated mass-production lines.

It does also sort of shock me how little of the stuff we buy is made in the US these days.
Likes For dddd:
Old 02-10-20, 12:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I use a Shimano cable cutter for both cable and housing, a few file strokes on the housing then stick a pokey tool into the housing. (Pokey tool - simply a sharpened spoke with the other end bent into a handle. Name is universal throughout the Portland bike scene. Very useful tool.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-10-20, 06:45 PM
Bajabri

Bikes: ‘84 Alan sprint, Rocky Mountain Altitude 799, Trek fuel ex 9.9, Gardin/Battaglin’84, Nishiki international ‘83, ‘86 panasonic dx5000, 93 mongoose amplifier

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Ok, thanks for all the replies, I reviewed what was available and ordered a felco knock off.
The first test cuts were quite impressive, so I will have to see how long they last.

This is the first set I bought, and to paraphrase Mr Hambini these are utter shyte.

This set, from Amazon works very well. Appears to be a Felco copy, identical to the Pedros except for the colour.

B
Old 02-10-20, 07:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Bajabri
This set, from Amazon works very well. Appears to be a Felco copy, identical to the Pedros except for the colour.

B
I bought two pair labeled Cal-hawk off amazon for a bicycle clinic that are exactly like these and they look like pedro's clones but work better then the Pedro's. I've got the nicer park, and honestly don't see a difference between the cut quality of either of them. 6 years on the cal-hawk have seen a lot more use then my personal parks and are still just as good.
After the first cut if there's a small jagged piece on the brake housing I just turn the cutters and sort of nip it off, and use a niny philips to open the end.
Old 02-10-20, 08:34 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

These are a generic, bicycle-specific cutter, sold under many brand names and so with different colored handles.

They are the best I have ever used, going on decades here!

Old 02-10-20, 08:49 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Sorry, not a fan of riveted tool heads like the last couple. Makes me happy with my Park CN-10 purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.