Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Too many ..... Jerseys?!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Too many ..... Jerseys?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 09:47 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Too many ..... Jerseys?!

We had snow this morning in central PA! Nothing serious, but a bummer upon waking. So I decided to dig into my bicycling storage box and straighten up the stock. I came across relic jerseys I had forgotten; memorable events (which maybe weren't that memorable...) from 30 some years ago, a jersey from a dear riding friend who lost his battle to AML, race jerseys that are too small to receive my wife's approval (read: "you're not going outside in that...!), a really cool old wool jersey that still fits, a vintage (of course) Campagnolo, a 7-Up jersey that's mostly green (not sure I'd feel safely seen in that one anymore), among others. I really only wear four different jerseys these days so maybe I should thin out the herd?? I mean it's like guys and their Harley T-shirts; when's enough well, enough already!

Nah, can't do it...

Guess I'll be seen with some "new" looks this spring and summer out on the road, retro's in anyway right?
Old 04-03-16, 10:41 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
For ones that have any significance, frame 'em and put 'em on the wall. Any other ones that don't get worn probably need a new home.

SP
OC, OR
Old 04-03-16, 11:16 AM
hochflynn

Bikes: 2014 Engin (custom titanium), 2008 Specialized tarmac, 2002 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in the Philly area there have been (one I believe is on-going) recent bike clothing donation drives for 3 different non-profit cycling organizations. If you are truly interested in thinning out the herd, and if they are in decent shape, see if there is anywhere local to donate. We were recently in Australia on a cycling vacation. We brought our older helmets, with the hopes of donating them instead of throwing them out (we weren't going to bring them back). We were thrilled to find an organization that gives used bikes to immigrants so they have a form of transportation. They rarely get helmet donations, and were thrilled to get ours. We were thrilled to hear that they gave one away the next day. Its all good Karma.

Originally Posted by eatontkd
We had snow this morning in central PA! Nothing serious, but a bummer upon waking. So I decided to dig into my bicycling storage box and straighten up the stock. I came across relic jerseys I had forgotten; memorable events (which maybe weren't that memorable...) from 30 some years ago, a jersey from a dear riding friend who lost his battle to AML, race jerseys that are too small to receive my wife's approval (read: "you're not going outside in that...!), a really cool old wool jersey that still fits, a vintage (of course) Campagnolo, a 7-Up jersey that's mostly green (not sure I'd feel safely seen in that one anymore), among others. I really only wear four different jerseys these days so maybe I should thin out the herd?? I mean it's like guys and their Harley T-shirts; when's enough well, enough already!

Nah, can't do it...

Guess I'll be seen with some "new" looks this spring and summer out on the road, retro's in anyway right?
Old 04-04-16, 03:30 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have been looking at the 2 piles of jerseys I have accumulated and been thinking of scaling back. I have a few I wear the most, a few I wear occasionally, and some that never leave the closet. I did throw one away , one that was actually wore out!! Obviously a favorite, I picked it up in Tucson 10 years ago from the Cactus Cycling Club. I like to collect each years offering from Leinenkugels in Chippewa Falls, WI. I even had Jake sign one! I don't wear them, just like the name. But I do have quite a few that are a little too big, as I have been shedding pounds each year. So the XL will definitely be getting donated. I have donated to Lon Haldemanin the past that he finds homes for. I have wondered if Goodwill would be a good place to donate jerseys to.
Old 04-04-16, 06:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
In my mind, jerseys are like bikes - you can never have too many unless you run out of space. I threw away all of my cotton jerseys years ago, but have acquired (just guesstimating here) 40 or more wicking type jerseys. I have my favorites, but I wear nearly all of them at one time or another.
Old 04-05-16, 06:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Free Cannondale jerseys to a 50+ member

^^^, same here, about not having too many jerseys.

Any of you guys in the Clydesdale classification need two Cannondale Classic, short-sleeved mesh jerseys? I have two yellow and white, one 2xl and one 3xl, that are too large for me to wear. I rode in both about 4 times each, and didn't care for the loose fit they have. Both have 3 back pockets (sorry 'bent guys) and half zippered fronts. Both are like new, clean and no snags or rips in them, very presentable. Free to any member, just send me a PM, if you want one or both.

I hate for these to just hang in the closet, but I just don't need them, lost a lot of weight so they are too baggy for my taste, and prefer a tighter fit, also.

Bill
Old 04-05-16, 08:34 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
....Free to any member, just send me a PM, ....
Bill
Wow Bill, that's very generous and cool to do.
Old 04-05-16, 08:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1, red Long sleeve Performance wicking Poly Lg.. wool ones went to someone else decades ago as i expanded & they Shrunk.
Old 04-05-16, 09:19 AM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by fietsbob
red Long sleeve Performance wicking Poly Lg..
Hmm, sounds like starting a jersey exchange...

Free to a good home; Performance Bicycle jersey, good condition (it has a small snag on the front right chest on the blue near arm pit) , short sleeve, race fit, marked L that I can't/ won't wear anymore...

I wear a XL. Anyone interested?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jersey.jpg (88.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-05-16, 02:15 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
In line with others offering to give away jersys, looking through my cycling clothes for the summer I came across this jersey I was given a couple of years ago which I know I will never wear. I've got an irrational dislike of clothes with writing/slogans on them.

Lyme Racing Club is in the UK midlands.

Never worn, polyester, full zip, size L racing fit, it fits me snugly but not over tight and I am 5'8" and 152 pounds.

I am happy to gift it, at no cost, to anyone from the 50+ forum.

Attached Images
20160104_142435-1_resized.jpg (99.0 KB, 16 views)
20160104_142508-1_resized.jpg (95.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 04-05-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 07:25 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
I didn't know that Leinies had an annual bike jersey, I'll have to do a search.

I've gone decades without ever finding a bike jersey at a thrift shop, but finally over the last few years I've managed to find a few that fit me. So to those of you thinking of donating to your local thrift shop then know that it might just be really appreciated by someone.

I think it was in the 50+ jersey thread where the supplier gives measurements (across the armpits when the jersey is layed flat on a table) to help ensure a good fit since so many manufacturers have random definitions of what L or XL equates to.

Nice of those of you offering jerseys.
Old 04-25-16, 08:51 PM
Lovemyride

Bikes: Lightspeed Blade Look565 Giant Defy Shwin Continental

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gather 30 or so and have a quilt made , I did it with my Harley T shirts the wife wouldn't be seen with me in Another 5 or so, and I will have one made with my Bike jersey's, after all ,there all special
Old 04-26-16, 10:54 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
In line with others offering to give away jersys, looking through my cycling clothes for the summer I came across this jersey I was given a couple of years ago which I know I will never wear. I've got an irrational dislike of clothes with writing/slogans on them.

Lyme Racing Club is in the UK midlands.

Never worn, polyester, full zip, size L racing fit, it fits me snugly but not over tight and I am 5'8" and 152 pounds.

I am happy to gift it, at no cost, to anyone from the 50+ forum.

I think that is a cool jersey and would be willing to kick in some funds to ship to USA. PM me if still available.
In return, I will go through my closet and find a jersey to offer another 50+ member
Old 04-26-16, 12:16 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
PM sent.
Old 04-26-16, 12:59 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A while ago, I lost 30 lbs and sold a bunch of jerseys that no longer fit me on eBay. I made a tidy sum of cash, which I turned around and spent on more jerseys! I need to do the same thing again with some jerseys that I no longer wear.
Old 05-01-16, 12:36 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I moved about five years ago, I thinned my herd to 12 jerseys. Since then that number has more than doubled! I think they breed.

(We do have a "one year rule" at our house. If you don't wear it in a year, you donate it. Just gave a really neat, but too tight jersey away to a friend.)
Old 05-01-16, 04:47 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
I'm looking for a vintage, Wheaties, Schwinn or 7-11 Jersey in a Medium. Not asking for a freebie, willing to pay. Come on all you old guys, who has one?
Old 05-01-16, 05:22 PM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
All of my Jerseys have been given to me as gifts.I know who gave me each one.The number is only 10.Quite frankly I'm too cheap to go out and buy 2 dozen Jerseys.Here is the best jersey story I have.

I'm riding at the New Jersey shore area.There is a red light I'm approaching.Im wearing a Jersey my daughter gave me.Its unusual.Red with a black collar,black around the shoulders and a checkered black and white flag across the front chest.As I pull up alongside a stopped cyclist we look at each other for a long time.We say nothing,we are wearing the same Jersey.That was a couple of years ago,never saw the Jersey again.
Old 05-01-16, 05:59 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I'm seriously thinking of riding my fatbike in the STP and troll for BF roadies by wearing my "41".
Old 05-01-16, 09:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I've found that I don't even wear Jerseys... Just not my 'thing'. I've gotten a couple as gifts (one being a team USPS/Trek/Lance Armstrong) Also have a couple of local MS150 charity ride jerseys... And yes, I even bought a BF.net 50+ jersey a couple of years ago. All unworn. I'll have to get the sizes, but they're free to good homes ('buyer' pays postage/shipping).
Old 05-02-16, 11:38 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Just swapped my long sleeve group from the front of the closet to the back and counting only the short
sleeve jerseys I have 24. Did throw one away over the weekend when the 8" long zipper failed.
Big difference in technical cloth and printing techniques from 1996 to 2016. I did haul out all my
acrylic SS from the '70s years back and found them unwearable now, acrylic feels terrible on the skin
compared with nylon or poly, can't believe I used to wear them. They were still wearable size wise.

Jersey sizing for men is less variable than for women, with the main variances between "race-fit" ,
'club-fit' and relaxed sizing. Race fit is very tight, club a little floppy but snug, relaxed has a lot of
slack, easy to remove when wet.

Last edited by sch; 05-02-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 05:18 AM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
... And yes, I even bought a BF.net 50+ jersey a couple of years ago.
If this jersey is an XL, I'm interested...