Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 06:36 PM
Marvinmoad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Paramount

New to forum . I recently became the owner of i think a 40s paramount racer the wheelbase measures approximately 40- 1/4 ", bottom to top approximately 23" the serial number wasn't in the online database and i read pre 48 was lost in fire. I dont really have time for riding and will probably sell it. Any advise on value? It would need some work to start riding it sat for the last 30 yrs that i know of maybe longer.
Old 01-03-20, 09:12 PM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
We are going to need more info and pictures to give you any kind of value. Could be anything from $200 to $3500. Lets start wirh the serial number that will put us in the ballpark with the age. Is it an A xx, A xxx, a P xx,P xxx a PT xx, PT xxx or just 2 or 3 numbers, xx ,xxx or some other prefix ? What is its location, bottom bracket, drive side rear droupout or non drive side rear droupout some other location. Is the paint original? condition? Are the componets original or period correct?
Old 01-04-20, 12:49 AM
Marvinmoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The paint i beleive is original but in very poor shape. The shifter handles are suntour while the shifters themselves are campagnolo with gran turismo also written on back only. The actual cramk itself that goes from one pedal arm to the other has( ta 344) on it and the rear left if your sitting on it drop out i think you call it has Brev. Campagnolo f808 those are the only nubers on the bike. The brakes are "made in Switzerland by weinmann".the handelbars are the sideways U shapeď type and have Mod GIRO D'ITALIA with a branch like wreath circling that logo and ribbon in it center bottom..the front wheel is fine but the back wheel is not it has 6 broken or missing spokes. The easy turn nuts have campagnolo on them. The water bottle holder is thin wire held by bracket that reads huret. The cable housing stops are in poor shape along with cables the right foot peg is missing the left reads campagnolo made in italy. Frame and forks are great as far as the tubing and overall condition, the six and half inches of frame leading to wheels are bright polished chromelike. The frame with forks seatpost and chain weighs seven and half pounds
Old 01-04-20, 01:39 AM
trainman999

Bikes: 83 Schwinn Superior, 86 Paramount,86 Madison,87 Cimeron,86 Nishiki Linear

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 113 Posts
Ok F808 means its a June 1968 the 8th frame of the month. A lot of it's original parts are missing from what you describe you are probly looking at $500 or less
Old 01-04-20, 02:23 AM
Marvinmoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your expertise . It was greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-20, 06:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Marvinmoad
Thank you for your expertise . It was greatly appreciated.
If that bike has been sitting for 30+ years with lousy paint $500 might be ambitious, considering all the work a buyer would need to put into it to make it a rider. with chain, tires, cables, bar tape you're talking $80=/- and how is the saddle? If the buyer can overhaul it themselves it still takes their time so figure it will cost another $100 and if the bearings are shot....that will really add up.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-04-20, 10:29 PM
Marvinmoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will keep it for a while and do the repairs myself. Maybe a granson will be interested in it . Do yall know a good site for parts and pictures for matching the factory setup and paint scheme?
Old 01-04-20, 11:16 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
There is lots of information on line about the Schwinn Paramount.
waterfordbikes.com is a good place to start. Click on the "culture" tab at the top of their home age.

Here is a scan of a 1968 Schwinn catalog: 1968 Schwinn Catalog

Once you have 10 postings to this forum you can post some pictures in the regular "classics and vintage" forum and we can help you to determine which parts you need and where to find them.
Brent
Old 01-05-20, 09:42 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Anxiously awaiting pictures. '68 was a good year. I'm thinking maybe someone did a "tourist" conversion to TA triple crank and the Campy GT derailleur.

I dig the Schwinn catalog link. The S/S Tourer came with seat and handlebar bags. Never saw that one before.
Old 01-05-20, 07:45 PM
Marvinmoad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok this is starting to sound kinda like a bit of a challenge which I have always welcomed. Its just that time this days is so short and all my boys are getting close to grown but if i can get one of em interested in the project I think it will be fun. For now all the parts are in a plastic tote and the frame is hanging in my shop. Thats the only way i could safely store it. Thanks for the help i will somehow get back to yall with pics soon I hope.