Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Mile times

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 12:23 AM
RocHed11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
Mile times

Hey-63 y/o with a Trek DS2 and I just got back to riding a bicycle and have been riding for about 7 days after a 25+ year absence. I started out pretty light 1 mile then 2 then 3 and so on. I rode 5 today and my legs were shot at the end. I'm doing a little over 5 minutes per mile. That seems pretty lame to me. What kind a mile spits are you riding in a flat bar hybrid? Thanks in advance

TB
Likes For RocHed11:
Old 01-15-20, 01:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmpft

Slightly slower than a rocket, and faster than a snail.

I do most of my riding on road bikes, so not necessarily representative. But, each person is different. You're in to your low to mid 60's, so you don't necessarily need to compete against the 20 year olds.

5 min mile = about 12 mph. Not bad for long distance cruising, and a typical average commuting speed.

Distance is important.

On a road bike, I might do say 10 to 12 MPH for 100 plus miles.
For me, 20 MPH is a pretty hard effort for 5 to 10 miles.
25 MPH for about 1 mile.
And I can pop up to 30 MPH for perhaps 100 yards.
Old 01-18-20, 04:16 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RocHed11
Hey-63 y/o with a Trek DS2 and I just got back to riding a bicycle and have been riding for about 7 days after a 25+ year absence. I started out pretty light 1 mile then 2 then 3 and so on. I rode 5 today and my legs were shot at the end. I'm doing a little over 5 minutes per mile. That seems pretty lame to me. What kind a mile spits are you riding in a flat bar hybrid? Thanks in advance

TB
We ride about the same speed. I used to be faster a couple of years ago, 13 mph, but since developing spinal stenosis I can't push as hard as I used to. I'll be 63 in March.

Last edited by jskash; 01-18-20 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-18-20, 04:46 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts

TB
I started riding regularly again last June , and started keeping a log of my mileage.
Recently started riding an old Schwinn Hybrid Crisscross and one day last week I rode 10.1 miles at a 6 minute mile pace . I average around 7-8 miles for my rides and usually in the 7 minute mile pace .
I’m 68 and weighed 280 my last doctor’s checkup down from close to 300 when I started .
My average distance and pace has. Increased since going to the hybrid over the Cruisers and converted mountain bikes I had been riding .
when I first started , it was 2 miles a day for about a week , then I increased it to three , and after a month I was up to five most days .
I try to ride every day that’s fit to ride . I’ve found , if it’s sunny , I can deal with mid 40’s . If cloudy , I need low 50’s .
Good luck with your rides and try to not over do it .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 01-26-20, 12:43 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
63 years old and only 7 days back in to it after a several decade long break? 12mph is fine. i'd work on increasing distance from a 5 mile ride before increasing speed from a 12mph ride.

minutes a mile. sound like a bunch a runners in this thread.
Likes For denada:
Old 01-30-20, 03:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
TB
Wow, you're doing great! Don't push it too hard; your body has to adjust to riding. Go out, enjoy the scenery and don't worry too much about speed. I agree with denada; concentrate on distance instead. I would suggest you ride 3 miles until you get bored (i.e. your legs are still wanting to go), then go to 5 miles again until you get bored, etc. Listen to your body; you know the difference between a pleasant post-exercise tired and 'oh-oh I think I hurt myself'.
Old 02-04-20, 12:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
5 min mile = about 12 mph. Not bad for long distance cruising, and a typical average commuting speed
agree that sounds OK for now. OP can try to keep track as he adds miles over the next few weeks & months. if that stays the same that would be just fine. I'm 60 & last weekend, rode a road bike, a little under 20 miles w/ an avrg of 13 mph. I've done better & hope to again, but I'm not stressing over it. my speed is my speed.
Old 02-23-20, 07:27 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 258 Posts
I have a 17 mile commute to work, so 34 mile round trip, mostly flat but kinda downhill going to, kinda uphill going home. I commute 2-3 times/week if it’s not stupid cold or wet/ snowy. Takes me about 1:05 in, 1:15 home. I’ll be 48 this August, so I’d say that at 12 mph you’re doing fine. I try and try to reduce my times (increase overall speed) but about the only times I’m ever noticeably faster is when I have a consistent tailwind! As someone else said “my speed is my speed” so don’t stress about it. Rather, enjoy the ride and get there when you get there...
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 02-24-20, 06:52 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I remember a few years back when 5 miles was quite an accomplishment. I'm 64 now and have a similar bike - a Specialized Crosstrail Sport. I can easily ride 20 miles now and have over 200 miles logged on Strava this month. I don't pay much attention to speed - I find that whatever day I'm riding I find a pace that is comfortable for me that day and keep at it. I feel better after a ride for sure - and at some point during most rides I get a feeling of happiness (for lack of a better word) that comes across me. It feels strange now to log less than 10 miles! I slowly built up my mileage to get to where I am so my advise is to just go slow and bump up the distance in small increments when you feel like you're ready.
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 03-09-20, 01:23 AM
RocHed11

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 8 Posts
[QUOTE=t I feel better after a ride for sure - and at some point during most rides I get a feeling of happiness (for lack of a better word) that comes across me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I feel that too, I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. It is a pleasant feeling that I never expected!!. I'm seeing progress at this point as I rode 12 miles today and felt very good during and afterward. Riding is good!!
T
Likes For RocHed11:
Old 03-09-20, 11:23 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
RocHed11, that's what an endorphin rush feels like. Enjoy.