Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Osteoarthritis - Degenerative Arthritis of the Neck

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 04:30 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts

I apologize in advance to assume that this sub-forum is the proper place for this thread, but I think I'm right

Anyways, I recently had an x-ray of my neck in response to aggravated neck pain akin to a burning sensation. Turns out I have osteoarthritis of the neck at the young age of twenty-six. Twenty-four, really, I had my first episode of pain a couple years ago. The culprit is likely my part-time job as a cashier at a grocery store, improper road bike form, and too many hours spent studying at a computer. Plus I had a pretty good crash around 5 years ago that could be a factor. Genetics? I also have bad knees...Who knows!

I want to keep riding, but am unsure as to the type and magnitude that would be best considering my relatively young diagnosis. I'm planning to see a physical therapist to get their opinion/guidance, but also thought there likely are many riders here who are similarly affected but still get out on the road. A few questions:

1. Do you still ride 'typical' road bikes (25mm tires or less, road handlebars, short wheelbase), or have you swapped over to a more forgiving bike?

2. How quickly has it progressed, if it has at all?

3. Do you reduce your mileage/time riding? Do you ride anymore at all?

4. Are there any exercises that you find to be especially helpful?

Thank you.
Old 03-15-20, 05:40 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
At age 20, I had a pretty horrific bike crash: knocked myself out, knocked out some teeth, and cracked C6. The last wasn't discovered until some 20 years later when my neck pain became unbearable; it had bothered me over the years somewhat periodically, particularly as I got older and did some kind of repetitive motion (painting walls seemed to be particularly triggering). The worst of it was about 10 years ago when I did a long, challenging ride on a bike that had a bit too long of a top tube. I was essentially immobilized afterwards. The remedy that worked for me was to find an excellent PT. I had tried massage, chiropractors, other PTs, and sports medicine docs, but it wasn't until I found the right PT--for me, I need to emphasize; your case might very well be different--that I was able to get relief.

If you see photos of my bikes from that era, you'll see really tall stems and bars way above saddle. For a time, I only ride upright bars. Now I'm able to have my bars even with my saddle or a little bit below and am more comfortable with a more stretched out riding position. My neck still hurts on most rides, but I'm able to ride relatively long (a 24-hour 230 mile ride is my PR) and not be in traction immediately following.

At one point, I considered surgery, but I wasn't assured that it would help and carving nodules from my spine just seemed too unsettling. Best of luck getting relief and good care.
Old 03-15-20, 05:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I would seek a second medical opinion and a rheumatologist if OA turns out to be the case.

At your age this sounds more like an auto-immune disorder than anything caused by poor form on a bike or using a computer.

I recommend considering seeing a Kaiser doctor versus any doctor that might have a dog in the fight over what sort of new expensive medication might be prescribed.

Look closely at the pictorial posters in the doctor's office illustrating OA. These are propaganda posters supplied by drug companies in many cases. It's a very corrupt system we're dealing with.
Old 03-15-20, 06:52 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I have no idea what you are dealing with but at 63 i have significant arthritic issues in my right shoulder and neck as well as sciatic nerve trouble. I ride upright with porteur bars and dont wear a helmet. I wore a weld helmet for about 25 years which contributed to my current neck pain. I will ride as much as possible. Getting around on a bike is good for u.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 03-16-20 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 08:39 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's possible to keep riding with some compromises. I'm 62, have had at least two, possibly three, neck injuries, and still ride.

My first neck injury occurred in 1978 during military training when I was 20. Fell off a rope climb during a confidence course. The fall was from about the height of a utility pole to (thankfully) soft sand at Coronado. Knocked the wind out of me but I continued with the three week course and didn't go to sick call to get checked out. Even finished the rappelling part of the course.

One reason I didn't report it was because I was also an amateur boxer and didn't always get authorization from the base CO to participate. In some commands getting injured pursuing unauthorized activities could result in disciplinary action. I was warned about that by a senior petty officer when I was injured during a crit race crash. So I bandaged myself up so the road rash wouldn't leak through my uniform and kept my mouth shut.

But I had intermittent and sometimes severe neck pain and headaches after that. I had to quit amateur boxing due to the headaches, and the neck pain continued to bother me during long bike rides. Our Navy base cycling club occasionally did rides of 75-250 miles on weekends and the neck pain would really flare up after 75 miles or so.

In 2001 my compact car was T-boned by a full size SUV that ran a light and nailed me at highway speed. It came from behind me diagonally so I never saw it. Witnesses told me what happened and assured me the other driver was at fault. Broke my back and neck in six places. My C1 and C2 were permanently damaged. I had pain for years and walked with a cane until 2014.

Back about 20 years ago an osteo doc and neurologist said my C1-C2 showed some indications of a genetic deformity, so they weren't sure whether the 1978 training injury was the first serious neck problem. Even after multiple MRIs, CT-scans, etc., my current docs really can't tell which incident did the most damage.

In 2015 I resumed bicycling after a long hiatus. Started with a heavy, springy comfort hybrid. I still have it for local errands -- it's built like a Yuba cargo bike, with a long wheelbase, very stable heavily loaded down, and the heavy front spring fork balances the rear-heaviness with it's loaded down with 50 lbs or more of stuff. I use it to haul cat food and supplies for my fur monsters. For that first year even an upright comfort hybrid was sometimes painful, especially if I tried to lower the handlebar at all for more efficient pedaling.

By 2016 I'd improved enough to upgrade to a sportier hybrid, an early '90s MTB-lite. The low flat bar was kinda painful on the neck so I switched to a riser handlebar and, eventually, albatross swept bars. I still ride that bike often for casual rides, group rides and some errands.

In 2017 I got a 1989 Centurion Ironman, my first road bike in more than 30 years. It was really tough adapting to the drop bars. I increased my home physical therapy -- mostly stretches, some body weight exercises. By the end of 2017 I was much stronger, more flexible. I began setting up the bike more aggressively and chasing Strava PRs. I gradually improved from dead last on every segment to middle of the pack.

In spring 2018 I was hit by a car while I was on a bike ride. Broke and dislocated my shoulder, re-injured my neck. X-rays revealed an opaque mass in my neck that turned out to be thyroid cancer. Between the injury and health stuff the rest of 2018 was mostly very slow recovery.

By spring 2019 I was pretty well recovered and bought a new-to-me 1993 Trek 5900 from a friend via BF. My first carbon fiber road bike. More aggressive riding position and a little tricky to adapt to with the renewed neck injury. I went back to clinically supervised physical therapy for three months. Really helped. By the end of last year I was significantly stronger and faster.

I still have a hard time with long rides. By around 50 miles my neck is usually aching pretty badly. Doesn't really matter what the bike type is. If anything I'm more comfortable on a properly set up drop bar road bike than my upright hybrid. What really matters is the alignment of my head, neck and spine. Even if I'm leaning forward aggressively, as long as the alignment is good, I'm okay to ride. But if the bike fit is even slightly off any bump in the road transmits a lightning bolt jolt of pain to my neck and head. I do my own bike fits, based on various tutorials, my own videos showing my position, and how it feels on the road. Works for me.

Most of my rides are 20-40 miles, but I'm working my way toward longer rides and an occasional century. I rode one full century last year, about 107 miles, and the final 20 miles was miserable. But I know there were a few things I could have done to make it go a bit smoother. So each long ride is a learning experience.

BTW, on a ride in early spring 2018, just a few weeks before I was hit by a car, I met another cyclist along the road who was riding cross country, from east to west coasts. He was in his 30s, a former Marine and EMT who was hit by a car and badly injured on the job while stopped to assist with another collision. Busted him up badly, including the neck. I saw his photos from the ICU and long recovery. He still looked uncomfortable during the few miles we rode together and chatted. But he persisted and finished the ride in California a few months later, sometimes riding only a few miles a day, sometimes much more. His neck is deteriorating and he wanted to tackle this goal while he still could. Really helped inspire and motivate me a few months later during my own recovery.

Hang in there. Have fun, do your physical therapy and try to get at least a little body and core work a few times a week even if it's not a "serious" workout. Watch your bike fit, and pay attention when your body is trying to tell you it's uncomfortable. HTFU doesn't apply to us anymore once we've had neck injuries. Every ride we can enjoy is a win.
Old 03-15-20, 10:11 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I take a packet of gelatin several times a week for my knees, and it seems to help my neck, too. After my last crash the neuro commented on the arthritis in my neck after looking at the scans. It doesn't bother me near as much as pre-gelatin.

But I'll never be able to ride a large saddle/bar drop or get in an aero tuck like guys I (try to) ride with.
Old 03-16-20, 07:10 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
I'm just getting back into cycling after a 23 year hiatus (also happen to have a 23 year old daughter...). I've got arthritis all through my neck with bone spurs and limited ROM plus I was born with C4-C5 fused. I purposefully bought a smaller bike than I used to ride to get a shorter top tube and set the bike up with the bars just a couple inches below seat height (much higher than my younger self rode). I quickly realized that was not a good plan and now have the bars just a bit above seat level. It looks pretty weird to me but it allows me to actually ride.

Taking care of your issues while you're young is the way to go to avoid things being much, much worse when you're older. Google "neck mobility exercises". They're simple and quick to do and I do feel better when I do them regularly. I'm too stupid to do them regularly though.
Old 03-16-20, 07:34 AM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
There are always options...

Last edited by St33lWh33ls; 03-16-20 at 07:40 AM.
Likes For St33lWh33ls:
Old 03-16-20, 09:13 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
A part-time job as a cashier at a grocery store, improper road bike form, and too many hours spent studying at a computer, may cause neck pain, but it would not cause osteoarthritis. Additionally, without an official radiographic report it is unclear what magnitude of osteoarthritis is present and may not at all be related to your neck pain. Consider changing your bike fit and your workstation/computer ergonomics.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 03-16-20, 10:06 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input, it's much appreciated! Unfortunately, speak of the devil, I woke up today in pain. I work in front of a computer sometimes for long hours using a software program (GIS) for school, and with the coronavirus I've been inside and on the computer too much I guess. I do admit I was sitting poorly yesterday.

Jicafold
It's true the pain could be a result of something else, but the type, intensity, and persistence of it feel utterly different to any other kind of neck pain I've had. My last, and most severe flare-up took at least about +3 weeks to fully recover from (brought on by a hard-ish ride after a long day at work) and so I believe that there must to something going on in my neck complicating things.

dddd
I don't think my doctor is trying to hoodwink me because of a corrupt influence from pharmaceutical companies; the most aggressive treatment options recommended was yoga, exercise, and physical therapy, as well as OTC treatments such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and glucosamine. Though I like the idea of getting an appointment with a rheumatologist, thank you for the recommendation!

nlerner Do you have a traction device that you recommend?
Old 03-16-20, 01:00 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I must preface this by stating that I'm neither a doctor, nor have I ever portrayed one on television or otherwise.

I'm 60 and have had occasional bouts with my back for roughly 20 years. For years I eschewed even considering a chiropractor, but last year I was lured in by an offer of $5.00 ex-rays/ and exam. Some of the stuff he was able to see, I was able to also, but some other things just weren't evident. Some things he did helped, and others - not so much. I've since moved and have been making monthly OMM visits at a medical clinic here.

Here are some things that have helped me - even though my pain issues are lower in my back.

Exercises and stretching. Periodic alignments. TENS unit treatment (the Icy Hot ones are not expensive, re-usable by the same person, and they are quite effective), Inversion table (which quite possibly is more appropriate for mid-lower back issues than neck issues).

As for riding, my riding position and bicycle attributes have evolved. Stems are a bit higher, tires have more volume, bar tape more cushiony, and I pay closer attention to comfort in my set-up. As displayed earlier in the thread, a recumbent could be a last resort for me, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.

Wish you the best sorting things out.

Note. I had an appointment for OMM scheduled for the end of this month, but received a call from the office that they were canceling the appointment due to "following CDC guidelines". I only mention this because it may be more difficult to get to see a real doctor in-person for the foreseeable future. Hopefully you will be able to interact with your doc through messages or such.

Last edited by USAZorro; 03-16-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 02:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
nlerner Do you have a traction device that you recommend?
I've never used a traction device, so, no, I'm afraid I do not. I'm lucky in that I've been taking high dose naproxen for many years now and haven't had any stomach problems. Perhaps other side effects will be a problem down the road, but that medication goes a long way for me to reduce pain and swelling.
Old 03-16-20, 07:21 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I'll repeat - gelatin.
Cheap and the side effects are all good.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 03-16-20, 08:08 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
So a friend of mine at 65 went in for shoulder surgery after pain for way too long.

Sugery was deemed a success, then many weeks of PT. Pain still there.

So he goes back to the surgeon: "Hey the pain is just as bad."

Surgeon: "well you know you have arthritis."

Get multiple opinions before doing anything.
Old 03-17-20, 07:32 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I'll repeat - gelatin.
Cheap and the side effects are all good.
Worth repeating. At 69 I have been using gelatin for 12 years and always have some on hand. Also had an encouraging, one in a row, result with a recommended CBD oil on my hands when they were shortening my rides. Previous CBD trials were unhelpful, hoping this one's early return is real.
Old 03-17-20, 10:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Busted my neck in two places, back in 2000, when three guys tried to rob me on my way to work. These days, no matter what I do I get some neck pain. I did lessen the pain by changing my ride set-up, allowing me to bend forward a wee bit less, which meant that I did not have to curl my neck back as much and the problem diminished, somewhat. But there is a bottom like...

As we age, stuff does not work as well as it used to. Experiment, not only with component set-up but also, perhaps, with a larger frame. Best of luck with finding that so elusive comfort zone.