Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Questions of Tubeless Tires on Mt Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 06:59 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So thinking of going Tubeless for mt bike.

first of all can i get tubeless on any mt bike? would any mt bike rim take a tubeless tire?

What are good brands to go with for tubeless?

Now are the tubeless less resistant to getting pinch flats then regular tubed tires?

Should i used slime to prevent tubeless from going flat?

For people who use tubeless do most prefer them to a tubed mt bike? thanks
Old 01-25-14, 10:56 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Some rims are set up for tubeless, others require a kit sold by "Stans" (and probably others by now).
I'm using Kenda tubeless block 8 tires. Very pleased with the application I'm using them for.
By definition, tubeless can't get a pinch flat because there is no tube to pinch. But certainly, tubeless can get flats. BTW, the way to fix a flat tubeless tire on the trail, is to insert a tube.
I never planned to go tubeless, that's how one of my bikes came. Now that I've tried it, I'm seriously considering converting my dual sus to tubeless as well. Yes, I like them. But not everyone does. I'm sure some of the others will chime in with why they don't like tubeless.
Old 01-26-14, 02:13 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I will never go back to tubes. The horror...

google gorilla ghetto tubeless. That should get you started
Old 01-26-14, 02:20 AM
CustomSteel

Bikes: 50's-60's Ross Deluxe, 68 Schwinn, 83 Peugeot P8, 84 Jamis Durango, 85 Peugeot PH501, 86 Raleigh Grand Prix, 91 Maruishi RX-7, 92 Marin Bear Valley, 92 Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't like messing with the gunk that you have to mount tubeless with, it's an absolute mess when you need to change tires. Most of my local bike mechanics don't like them for that reason, they've all shared with me that it gets old fast. That said, I don't ride any areas where puncturing is enough of a problem to warrant tubeless. I'm sure that if things were different in my local terrain that I would want to switch to tubeless on certain bikes.
Old 01-27-14, 12:12 AM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
It seems like all my punctures come at the same time. I'll get 5 or 6 punctures really close together and tell myself the next time it happens I'm going tubeless and then I don't get any punctures for months lol. I did go ghetto tubeless using the split tube method for awhile a couple years ago and used my own mix of tubeless goo but I wasn't riding enough for it to be worth while then, now I am. I'll probably try it again this summer using the ghetto gorilla tape method and stans.
Old 01-27-14, 11:55 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Tubeless all the way! I don't feel that Stan's sealant is a hassle or a mess. I just syringe-out the old stuff whether changing a tire or just checking the condition of the sealant. Go to Stan's site and get some intel https://www.notubes.com/help/tubeless...mystified.aspx

I'll never go back to tubed tires again--tubeless is lighter, rolls easier, lower pressures for more grip, no flats… It was confusing and intimidating for me at the start but once I got familiar with it, non-issue now.
Old 01-31-14, 07:53 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CustomSteel
I don't like messing with the gunk that you have to mount tubeless with, it's an absolute mess when you need to change tires. Most of my local bike mechanics don't like them for that reason, they've all shared with me that it gets old fast. That said, I don't ride any areas where puncturing is enough of a problem to warrant tubeless. I'm sure that if things were different in my local terrain that I would want to switch to tubeless on certain bikes.
If it's a mess, it's only because your local mechanics are hacks.

You can remove a tire with literally no spillage. I do it all the time. Occasionally there will be a bit that drips off the rim onto the ground, but I solve that by setting the wheel on top of a garbage can.

Everyone I know uses tubeless. You wouldn't be doing much riding if you didn't. Too many rocks, too many thorns.
Old 01-31-14, 06:49 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I prefer Ollie's to Stan's
Old 01-31-14, 08:09 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Yes tubes ftw.
Old 02-01-14, 04:10 AM
CustomSteel

Bikes: 50's-60's Ross Deluxe, 68 Schwinn, 83 Peugeot P8, 84 Jamis Durango, 85 Peugeot PH501, 86 Raleigh Grand Prix, 91 Maruishi RX-7, 92 Marin Bear Valley, 92 Trek 950

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
If it's a mess, it's only because your local mechanics are hacks.

You can remove a tire with literally no spillage. I do it all the time. Occasionally there will be a bit that drips off the rim onto the ground, but I solve that by setting the wheel on top of a garbage can.

Everyone I know uses tubeless. You wouldn't be doing much riding if you didn't. Too many rocks, too many thorns.
They aren't hacks, I've seen the tires when they were removing them and they were a legitimate mess. I mean there was a ton of that crap in the tires for whatever reason and it just sucked. It wasn't slime either. There are a lot of people down here who love riding their bikes, but they don't really care about the mechanical or maintenance aspect of them, and I think whatever is going on has to do more with those owners than anything else.

What many of the experienced cyclists here do is install tire liners, which has seemed to serve them well as a whole. Granted tire liners don't give much protection on the sidewalls, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue here for the most part.
Old 02-05-14, 01:10 PM
PimpMyBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
So thinking of going Tubeless for mt bike.

first of all can i get tubeless on any mt bike? would any mt bike rim take a tubeless tire?

What are good brands to go with for tubeless?

Now are the tubeless less resistant to getting pinch flats then regular tubed tires?

Should i used slime to prevent tubeless from going flat?

For people who use tubeless do most prefer them to a tubed mt bike? thanks
I bought a set of Stan’s Arch EX last year and will never go back to tubes. Most of the time it’s the tubes that get punctured. Not the tire. I do lots of rough XC riding in north Eastern mountains and never got a flat since. It also enables you run on lower tire pressure. I run at 20psi and I’m at 170 pounds. This help on traction. I carry a spare tube and crazy glue just in case but both tires have a scoop of goop and I feel confident.

1. Stan’s tape will convert your rims to tubeless
  2. Stan’s notubes
  3. Tubeless is more resistant to flats
  4. Yes to slime or goop
  5. Will never go back to tubes.
Old 02-05-14, 01:26 PM
PimpMyBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CustomSteel
They aren't hacks, I've seen the tires when they were removing them and they were a legitimate mess. I mean there was a ton of that crap in the tires for whatever reason and it just sucked. It wasn't slime either. There are a lot of people down here who love riding their bikes, but they don't really care about the mechanical or maintenance aspect of them, and I think whatever is going on has to do more with those owners than anything else.

What many of the experienced cyclists here do is install tire liners, which has seemed to serve them well as a whole. Granted tire liners don't give much protection on the sidewalls, but that doesn't really seem to be an issue here for the most part.
I do a lot of riding with 5 to 7 riders and the only guys that get flats are the tubed riders. I went tubeless because I was one of very few riders in our group that was tubed. I had my share of flats and was tired of being the one that was always down repairing tubes. Everyone that rides tubeless has never gotten a flat. The only one I can remember was a ripped sidewall that we repair with crazy glue on the spot. Slipped a tube and off we went in 10-15 minutes. Getting a bit messy one or so times a year to change a tire when it worn-out is not an issue IMO.
Old 02-05-14, 05:21 PM
CustomSteel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PimpMyBike
I do a lot of riding with 5 to 7 riders and the only guys that get flats are the tubed riders. I went tubeless because I was one of very few riders in our group that was tubed. I had my share of flats and was tired of being the one that was always down repairing tubes. Everyone that rides tubeless has never gotten a flat. The only one I can remember was a ripped sidewall that we repair with crazy glue on the spot. Slipped a tube and off we went in 10-15 minutes. Getting a bit messy one or so times a year to change a tire when it worn-out is not an issue IMO.
Agreed, it's not a big deal to do once a year or so, and I totally support doing something that's a little more labor intensive if it gives you a good payoff like that. It's just not necessary to go tubeless around here, so most people don't.
Old 02-09-14, 12:16 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
It is not necessary to go tubeless anywhere, it just gives a better ride.