Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about riding on the sidewalks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you feel about riding on the sidewalks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 03:10 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I try to avoid doing it, but sometimes if I feel it's safer for a short distance I'll do it. But I'll drop onto my 34 and granny gear and move at speed of pedestrian or I'll just get off and walk until get back on the road.
Old 11-19-14, 03:14 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like @wphamilton I ride on the sidewalk sometimes to avoid the traffic jostling for position on a slip road to the bridge.

I also ride on the sidewalk for about 15 feet to and from the intersection and bike rack of my local grocer; it is about 30 feet to my bike shop.

Other than that I do not think it is safe or acceptable to make it a common practice for longer distance, especially across roads.

Last edited by joeyduck; 02-03-15 at 01:06 AM.