Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What to eat on day of a big Event - breakfast

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 08:53 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ok i got myself confused on what to eat day of event. Such as if event is in morning or noon. Should one have a big breakfast. Yes i do have good meals, 48 hours prior and day before of good carbs etc.

Recently I just did a long XC ski race. i eat well day before. So morning of event. I thought you should also have good breakfast? i guess i was wrong.
this is what i ate 3.5 hours prior to the ski event, for breakfast
For morning of event.

1. Oatmeal.
2. orange juice
3. apple
4. 3 slices of toast - peanut butter
5. lots of water

this was around 8am with event starting at 11

on route to event around 10am on bus

1. part of granola, - harvest crunch
2. banana
3. water

That about it
however at stop of one rest station prior there was gatorade which i had and it was hot

otherwise nothing else odd here as most foods normal and was eating healthy days prior

So into the event about only about 13minutes into event of skiing. I got into a crisis. I got the "runs" I was forced to stop and jump into the bush and let it all go. and i was that way rest of the event,
probably one of my worst skis all year.

Now I have a few 100 mile mt bike events for in about 2 months i am doing

So please please give me an idea of what to eat the morning of event for a breakfast? as i do feel i should have something in the tummy, but am i eating too much? or too much fibre?

All the best suggestions on this?
Should i eat very little when event is in the morning for breakfast?
Old 03-04-14, 09:13 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would guess that your problem at the XC event was either coincidence (you happened to get sick right at that moment) or psychological. I don't see anything wrong with what you ate (assuming that's all normal food for you).
Old 03-04-14, 11:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I never eat oatmeal or granola before something like that. Same thing. Nothing like being in the middle of a large glacier . . . Worse than Saskatchewan. Many people can, some can't.
Old 03-05-14, 05:28 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I eat the same type of thing as a regular day for my first meal. I don't eat again until that meal has digested completely and I have burped.
Old 03-05-14, 06:44 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your body -- or more specifically, your body's gut flora (which do a lot of the work of digesting) need time to adjust to changes in diet... That can take days and often weeks for it to shift from say, a carnivore diet to an herbivore diet. And, while it is doing that you can get some strange, unexpected and unpleasant GI effects: bloating, gas, cramps, diarrhea...

You do not say if what you ate was much different from your normal diet, but your post sort of suggests that it was.
... If so, I would blame your GI problems more on the sudden change of diet rather than the diet itself.
Old 03-05-14, 11:39 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
Your body -- or more specifically, your body's gut flora (which do a lot of the work of digesting) need time to adjust to changes in diet... That can take days and often weeks for it to shift from say, a carnivore diet to an herbivore diet. And, while it is doing that you can get some strange, unexpected and unpleasant GI effects: bloating, gas, cramps, diarrhea...

You do not say if what you ate was much different from your normal diet, but your post sort of suggests that it was.
... If so, I would blame your GI problems more on the sudden change of diet rather than the diet itself.
IMO the problem could be a combination of a sensitive digestive tract with a very high fiber food like oats and a high physical output which changes the normal action of the intestine. I always go with a very low residue breakfast before an event or long ride, even though oats and other high fiber foods are a part of my normal diet. I also eat low residue foods during the event or ride. This always works for me. I'm also careful not to eat this way more than once a week.

Sweet oatmeal soup was always my favorite after a XC race.
Old 03-05-14, 01:58 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apple and orange juice are acidic, that may not be good to put in your body before exercising. Last weekend an hour before my race I had 4 eggs, crackers, and a clif bar.
Old 03-06-14, 07:02 PM
CanadianBiker32

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi guys sorry to mention yes the diet is normal food I eat. So really what you all suggest then as a decent food to eat a few hours before a big event? that would not cause any pooping or gas , or bloating etc
Old 03-07-14, 10:13 PM
CanadianBiker32

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What are other examples of a pre race/event meal? i like some extra examples of what everyone is eating these days
Old 03-08-14, 12:24 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

You just asked that here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-ride-or-event

But didn't get much response. For something my style, but premade, hard to beat Perpetuem.
Old 03-08-14, 07:42 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My go to breakfast prior to a big (~4 hour) ride is 500g or so of baked sweet potato, cinnamon, salt, ground ginger, some chopped walnuts (or hulled hemp seed), a scoop of vanilla whey protein, and plenty of coconut milk. It turns out to be 6-700 calories with plenty of carbs, some good fats and a bit of protein. That and some black tea (Irish breakfast, please) and I'm good for quite a while.
Old 03-08-14, 08:09 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Three cups of coffee and one banana, getting up at least two hours prior to the event... The coffee helps with energy, and has the positive effect of helping you to void your bowels well enough to not have to worry about having to find a restroom or or a bush to hunker behind during the ride.

The banana is - to quote an old ad campaign - "quite possibly the world's most perfect food".
Old 03-08-14, 08:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Ok i got myself confused on what to eat day of event. Such as if event is in morning or noon. Should one have a big breakfast. Yes i do have good meals, 48 hours prior and day before of good carbs etc.

Recently I just did a long XC ski race. i eat well day before. So morning of event. I thought you should also have good breakfast? i guess i was wrong.
For morning of event.

1. Oatmeal.
2. orange juice
3. apple
5. lots of water

2. banana
3. water

That about it
however at stop of one rest station prior there was gatorade which i had and it was hot

otherwise nothing else odd here as most foods normal and was eating healthy days prior

So into the event about only about 13minutes into event of skiing. I got into a crisis. I got the "runs" I was forced to stop and jump into the bush and let it all go. and i was that way rest of the event,

So please please give me an idea of what to eat the morning of event for a breakfast? as i do feel i should have something in the tummy, but am i eating too much? or too much fibre?

My 100 mile breakfast: completed 19 centuries that month...total 2,200 miles

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-08-14 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 08:49 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

"Big event" is too generic. What would be good nutrition for a 200k bike ride might be really different from a 10k-20k XC race. Eating before an XC race will be more like before a MTB race. Your competitors will have you on your redline right out of the gate and it's going to be like that for the next hour. Steady very hard, plus big surges on the climbs. Barf-proof and super high energy is what you'd want.
Old 03-08-14, 09:01 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

For morning of event.

1. Oatmeal.
2. orange juice
3. apple
5. lots of water

2. banana
3. water

That about it

Too much fibre and too many liquids might of caused you to have runs. All that orange juice, lots of water and Gatorade plus all that fibre is what might of caused your digestive distress.. Next time skip the orange juice and have some tea instead . Wait a little bit and let your body digest some of the food before drinking a lot... My personal breakfast before a long distance ride is scrambled eggs, and some potatoes mashed with butter, ... hash browns and eggs are also great for breakfast..White rice with eggs also makes good breakfast, white rice is a lot easier to digest then oatmeal and less likely to cause digestive distress.

Last edited by wolfchild; 03-08-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-08-14, 10:00 AM
BikeAnon

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the upside... You will retell this story many more times than you'd have told the story of your performance without the "Run to the Bushes Incident of 2014”.

You will also probably derive more insight into yourself, the way you handled stress, and your ability to deal with the unexpected. Looking back, this actually won't be as bad a day as it appears now.
Old 03-08-14, 01:02 PM
CanadianBiker32

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for feedback. All this time i was eating Oatmeal prior to a big event . now i did have the meal 3 hours prior to start time
i never realized OJ was a bad thing to had for when doing endurance as i drink OJ every day to start my day

Also i thought one had to pound the water prior to an event and even up to race start time
all well i guess something new every day

Also i did not know drinking coffee or tea of event day was good thing. now when you said Tea was it green tea you refer to or any type of tea?

so drinking a coffee prior to race time be good thing to do
what if drinking part of an energy drink too or would that be bad?
Old 03-08-14, 01:07 PM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My personal breakfast before a long distance ride is scrambled eggs, and some potatoes mashed with butter, ... hash browns and eggs are also great for breakfast..White rice with eggs also makes good breakfast, white rice is a lot easier to digest then oatmeal and less likely to cause digestive distress.
Another good example of YMMV - if I eat eggs within 3-4 hours prior to a ride, I would swear that they are in my throat within 10 miles... I don't eat them very often any more because of the time or two that this has happened...
Old 03-08-14, 01:22 PM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
I have "sensitive stomach syndrome" which is more less like IBS so I've learned to go mild which means sips of water, not downing lots of sports drinks at once. Fried eggs & white bread...no grease...maybe a tad of butter, or my fav...white bread, turkey bologna and a little peanut butter & honey. Flour tortillas & a few beans, rice, chicken. Everything in moderation. I stay way from energy bars as they can kill my stomach. I've read where the one thing that pro bikers fear is stomach upset as it can ruin your day completely and I believe it. Protein really helps stabilize my stomach but I can't eat a lot of it at once while riding. I'm not a racer. I like longer rides so I eat a little bit all the time. That being said, exercise is the best thing for calming my stomach and I practice with various food types just so there are no surprises.
Old 03-08-14, 01:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by travelerman
Another good example of YMMV - if I eat eggs within 3-4 hours prior to a ride, I would swear that they are in my throat within 10 miles... I don't eat them very often any more because of the time or two that this has happened...
Everybody is different. What works for one person may not work for another. Each individual needs to experiment and see what works best for them...
Old 03-08-14, 01:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Also i did not know drinking coffee or tea of event day was good thing. now when you said Tea was it green tea you refer to or any type of tea?

so drinking a coffee prior to race time be good thing to do
what if drinking part of an energy drink too or would that be bad?
Black tea and green tea are all good, much better for your health and digestion then orange juice. Coffee is also good. I like to start my day with Espresso.