Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Monthly MUP rant!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Monthly MUP rant!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 12:08 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Bells are quickly becoming the standard on our MUPs. I can't remember the last time I heard someone screaming ON YOUR LEFT or PASSING or anything else. The bells are much more pleasant for everyone and don't cause people to mistranslate ON YOUR LEFT to MOVE TO YOUR LEFT.

I did a test once (in Paris)
  • No one responded to an electronic bell
  • maybe half the people responded to a bike bell
  • 100% of the people responded to loud noisy brakes.

I use a bluetooth speaker (UE Boom in my water bottle mount) and noisy brakes when necessary - if the trail will be crowded or I know I need to make my presence known.
Old 10-31-16, 12:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Last summer my neighbor said "I don't think it is possible to say "on your left" in a pleasant manner. No matter how you say it, it sounds like a dictatorial command."
So say" Passing left" , lets the other mup users let you know what you are doing.
Old 10-31-16, 02:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
  • [*]
Ha ha. I had noisy brakes. I left them noisy because the squealing was really an attention getter. But now-a-days the squealing is gone. Comes and goes sometimes.

I'm also thinking of getting the 105db Megahorn from Megalert. I learned about it from this youtube video.

The video was profiled in the local TV news in Toronto.
Old 10-31-16, 05:39 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Another month and you won't see a soul outside unless they're in a car. Of course....Canadians may be tougher than us.
Well, just south of Canada here. This morning's commute was wicked... ironically, due to the maple leaves on the MUP. So many of them that I lost the trail for a bit. My headlight illuminated a reflective mile marker on a 4x4 post that I was quickly approaching for a possible head on collision. I felt my tires/wheels sinking into the soaked ground and soft grass off of the side of the trail. Somehow, I was able to correct my steering enough to miss the post for the most part, my rear pannier caught a piece of the 4x4 post but I was able to stay upright.

I don't know when they will clean the leaves off the trail again. They did it just last week one morning, by the afternoon the trail was covered. I don't expect that they will do it again until the end of November... the leaves will just keep falling until then. It's been a wet October. Nearly triple the rainfall that we get in a normal October. I imagine we'll hit 12 inches for the month by the end of the day. At least we're not in Canada.
Old 10-31-16, 06:31 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
Snipped

The biggest issue for me... dogwalkers that have those leashes that stretch all the way across the trail or they let their dogs go off leash.
Those can be very hazardous to bicyclists especially fast riding ones if the dog is where you can't see it and you get your wheel deflected by the leash. I've had some close calls where idiots with thin dark-colour retractable leashes have them played all the way out and rover is in the bushes at the side of the trail and can't be seen and the leash is just high enough to clothesline my front wheel but the leash is invisible. I avoid busy trails whenever possible and try to plan rides on them for when there are few people.

Cheers
Old 10-31-16, 07:02 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think they ever clean leaves around here.

First it's acorn season, then walnut season, now leaf season, soon snow season.
Old 11-01-16, 05:33 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't think they ever clean leaves around here.

First it's acorn season, then walnut season, now leaf season, soon snow season.
All the more reason to stay off the MUP.
Old 11-01-16, 07:37 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
All the more reason to stay off the MUP.
I'm talking about the road.

Until recently I had never seen an MUP, they are scarce around here. However at my new work building there are about 4 miles that I'm using. Though normally I'm hard cord "just use the road" on the last 2 miles of my 25 mile route, I'm going to use the MUP if I can. There's never anybody on it, and the road there is horrendous. I'm used to no shoulders and kind of rough road, but on that particular stretch for some reason, everyone has their face buried in their phones and I see a lot of people not staying in their lanes very well. It's a 45 MPH road which also normally doesn't bother me (almost all of my commute is on 50+ MPH roads) but combined with driver distraction it does concern me.
Old 11-01-16, 08:04 AM
mcours2006

The MUP I used last week was through the Don Valley, which is surrounded by trees, so you can imagine the leaves on it. Snow doesn't get cleared in the winter, so it's mostly impassable. The streets, on the other hand, are quite clear.
Old 11-01-16, 01:57 PM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
  • No one responded to an electronic bell
  • maybe half the people responded to a bike bell
  • 100% of the people responded to loud noisy brakes.

I use a bluetooth speaker (UE Boom in my water bottle mount) and noisy brakes when necessary - if the trail will be crowded or I know I need to make my presence known.
Need to add a 4th sound. Logging truck Jake brake
Old 11-05-16, 10:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
How MUPs work. Cyclists need to accept that a MUP is, by definition(name), not a bike path.

Cyclists yield to all.
Roller bladers yield to the below.
Runners yield to the below.
Walkers yiled to the below.
Families with small children yield to the below.
Equestrian trail riders.

See how that goes? Cyclists yield to all as they are the fastest and can cause the most harm.
Old 11-05-16, 08:52 PM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
How MUPs work. Cyclists need to accept that a MUP is, by definition(name), not a bike path.

Cyclists yield to all.
Roller bladers yield to the below.
Runners yield to the below.
Walkers yiled to the below.
Families with small children yield to the below.
Equestrian trail riders.

See how that goes? Cyclists yield to all as they are the fastest and can cause the most harm.
You are absolutely correct. If cyclists feel the MUP is too constrictive, then they can ride on the road, which is what many members here choose to do. As a slower cyclist, I enjoy riding the MUPs, and I yield to other users.
Old 11-05-16, 09:59 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kellichou
You are absolutely correct. If cyclists feel the MUP is too constrictive, then they can ride on the road, which is what many members here choose to do. As a slower cyclist, I enjoy riding the MUPs, and I yield to other users.
+1 to the 2 above.
Old 11-15-16, 12:34 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

I guess I have to get my rant on. Riding on the MUP, I come upon a dog walker where the dog is not on leash. I slowed. The dog turned in toward me. I slowed more. The owner said, "don't worry, she isn't aggressive." The dog ran ahead of me and as I accelerated the dog turned again right into me causing me to quickly stop and nearly fall over.
I got going again, and yelled back at the owner, "dogs aren't allowed to be off leash on the trail."

She yelled back, "F-U." I turned around and asked, "What did you say?" She said, "You heard me!"

She yelled at me to "move to California where my type belong."

I said, "the rules of the MUP are posted at the trail head 200 yards away... go read them."

She insisted that there was nothing wrong with what she was doing as she got her dog back on the leash. I questioned her, "If there is nothing wrong with it, why are you carrying a leash and why are you putting the dog back on the leash?"

People know they are in the wrong, something happens, and they turn around are belligerent and rude to everyone else that actually follow the rules. Maybe it's time to stay off this MUP. It's beautiful but it seems to attract an unstable crowd. Last year, a cyclist was threatened by a knife wielding maniac. Last week a man was attacked with a machete. Lots of homeless live along the MUP that are trashing the area. A great community asset is turning into a liability.
Old 11-15-16, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I ring My Bell and the dog walkers move to the side of the MUP, single file, if walking side by side . and pull their leashed dog Back..

I'm Not trying to go quickly on the riverwalk, Our MUP.
Old 11-15-16, 04:30 PM
mcours2006

I guess I have to get my rant on. Riding on the MUP, I come upon a dog walker where the dog is not on leash. I slowed. The dog turned in toward me. I slowed more. The owner said, "don't worry, she isn't aggressive." The dog ran ahead of me and as I accelerated the dog turned again right into me causing me to quickly stop and nearly fall over.
I got going again, and yelled back at the owner, "dogs aren't allowed to be off leash on the trail."

She yelled back, "F-U." I turned around and asked, "What did you say?" She said, "You heard me!"

I said, "the rules of the MUP are posted at the trail head 200 yards away... go read them."

She insisted that there was nothing wrong with what she was doing as she got her dog back on the leash. I questioned her, "If there is nothing wrong with it, why are you carrying a leash and why are you putting the dog back on the leash?"

People know they are in the wrong, something happens, and they turn around are belligerent and rude to everyone else that actually follow the rules. Maybe it's time to stay off this MUP. It's beautiful but it seems to attract an unstable crowd. Last year, a cyclist was threatened by a knife wielding maniac. Last week a man was attacked with a machete. Lots of homeless live along the MUP that are trashing the area. A great community asset is turning into a liability.
I encounter this kind of stuff more often as a runner. And yeah, I've been referred as 'your kind' as well.

Whenever I venture onto an MUP I always ask myself, is it worth the hassle of having to deal with all these walkers who walk four-abreast, dog walkers who never think that their pets are aggressive, runners who are oblivious to their surroundings because they've got earbuds stuffed so deep in their ears with music blasting. Either that or deal with traffic.
Old 11-15-16, 05:45 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I ring My Bell and the dog walkers move to the side of the MUP, single file, if walking side by side . and pull their leashed dog Back..

I'm Not trying to go quickly on the riverwalk, Our MUP.
I got around the dog walker without incident... but since the dog wasn't on leash...

The dog was fine, was not aggressive... I can't say the same about the owner. I don't blame the dog at all.
Old 11-15-16, 06:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

As a Californian I'm wondering exactly what this means and whether I should be offended or flattered.
Old 11-16-16, 05:19 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
How wide is the MUP?
Apparently nowhere near as wide as the ones you ride on.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Ones around here are wide enough to accomodate bikers and walkers.
The issues we have are bikers riding too fast and treating the MUP as a velodrome.
Hardly. But when you have people who who are completely oblivious to their surrounding they become the hazard.
Old 11-16-16, 10:20 PM
InTheRain

Originally Posted by caloso
As a Californian I'm wondering exactly what this means and whether I should be offended or flattered.
Considering the tone she used I don't think she meant it as a compliment, but since I was obviously confused, I went ahead and took it as a compliment.
Old 02-26-17, 10:31 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Just be happy that the dog walker was not also pushing a stoller with 5 grocery bags hanging off it, and while talking on a mobile phone at the same time....