Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring the Santiago de Compostela, Spain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-20, 08:14 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

The Santiago de Compostela was made famous as a hiking route in the movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen but I understand you can ride it as well. Anyone done this before? Suggestions on logistics much appreciated.
Old 01-15-20, 08:21 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
There have been other threads about this, including one not too long ago. Try the Search function.
Old 01-15-20, 08:41 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by axolotl
There have been other threads about this, including one not too long ago. Try the Search function.
Should have been clearer, I'm touring *from* Santiago. The other threads ie.. https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...-santiago.html are doing the traditional route of going from France to Spain hence ending at Santiago.
Old 01-15-20, 08:42 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Check out the weather as to when you might want to go, as this is in northern Spain, and it tends to be cold. I am going over there at the end of March, but I decided on southern Spain because it's warmer.
Not sure on what sort of logistics you are looking for.
Old 01-15-20, 09:13 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by Brian25
Check out the weather as to when you might want to go, as this is in northern Spain, and it tends to be cold. I am going over there at the end of March, but I decided on southern Spain because it's warmer.
Not sure on what sort of logistics you are looking for.
I'm going start of June.

For logistics: i) bike rental, ii) accomodation planning all the stuff we need to setup *before* we tour.

As I said above, I'm giong in the opposite direction, starting at the end of the pilgrimage.
Old 01-15-20, 09:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
I am going over there at the end of March, but I decided on southern Spain because it's warmer.
Where exactly? In 2000 I spent 7 weeks touring Andalucia. Did a loop starting/ending in Sevilla. Headed NE to the Sierra Morena then went clockwise from there. Started mid-March. Be mindful of Easter week. A lot of travel. If you end up in a popular city like Granada without reservations you might get gouged or find yourself totally out of luck. The campground in Ronda was packed to the gills when I arrived on Holy Thursday. The owner told me not to go anywhere until Monday.

BTW...You might want to check to see if The Rough Guide series still publishes one for Andalucia, assuming that's where you are going. I found it invaluable when planning my trip. Lots of tell-it-like-it-is reviews of towns, restaurants and lodging.
Old 01-15-20, 04:02 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello

A. I walked that route in 2010

I did walk a bit backward. It was hard, the yellow arrows are only pointing to Santiago. Also it was very hard to get beds in the Albergue, low cost dorms, due to them being full. Also the route is very busy for at least the first 100km out of Santiago on the French route some 100,000+ walked that 100km route last year. There are large groups of walkers that will block the trial for 5-10 minutes at a time, you will have to stop for these groups.

For a lot more information on this route I would go to www.caminodesantiago.me

Not trying to cause questions but why would you want ride this trail backwards, it is hard enough to ride with the follow of people, most of bikers are looking at riding some of the less popular routes to Santiago.
Old 01-16-20, 03:13 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
I'm going start of June.

For logistics: i) bike rental, ii) accomodation planning all the stuff we need to setup *before* we tour.

As I said above, I'm giong in the opposite direction, starting at the end of the pilgrimage.
There are often bikes "donated" at the end of the Camino. I'd imagine you could easily pick up your choice of bikes from people who are finished & don't want the hassle of bringing them home. Otherwise Google. There are many companies renting bikes all along the Camino routes.

As regards your other logistics, it depends on your route - you do realise there are many Camino routes all terminating in Santiago?

Whatever route you choose you should forget about using the Pilgrim hostels, unless they are the private ones. The religious & municipal hostels are there to provide a service to genuine pilgrims going to Santiago.

For anyone considering the Camino as a bike tour I would suggest a good think about what you want to get out of it.
Is it a religious/cultural pilgrimage or a cycle tour. In my experience they are two different things.

I cycled from my home in NL and cycled the Camino Frances, then wandered to the west coast, then north and back home to NL.
​​​
The Camino experience was unique and quite different from the rest of the tour. From a cycling perspective the non-Camino sections were the most enjoyable.

Finally, setting off from Santiago in June and assuming you are following the main Camino Frances route will be hot!
Old 01-17-20, 12:07 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
Finally, setting off from Santiago in June and assuming you are following the main Camino Frances route will be hot!
A ”normal” year, june is hot and lovely. July and August can get really hot, and many more tourists.
I’ll be down that way in september, usually a great month as well.