Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Alignment Table Bottom Bracket Post

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-20, 04:18 AM
Tdotbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I finally got around to turning a BB post for my alignment table. It is made out of A2 tool steel. It can accommodate a BB shell up to 2” in diameter and 120mm in width. The post is threaded 1”x14 tpi and the bottom is tapped 3/4”x16 tpi. I made a bronze washer that fits into the standard bb so as to center the bottom bracket on the post.

Likes For Tdotbikes:
Old 01-19-20, 08:35 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Very nice work Fernando! The bronze washer is a very nice touch. What kind of table is this post on?
Old 01-19-20, 11:37 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tdotbikes
I finally got around to turning a BB post for my alignment table. It is made out of A2 tool steel. It can accommodate a BB shell up to 2” in diameter and 120mm in width. The post is threaded 1”x14 tpi and the bottom is tapped 3/4”x16 tpi. I made a bronze washer that fits into the standard bb so as to center the bottom bracket on the post.

Really nice work, the brass is a very nice detail. Both of the above pics show turning between centers using a rod/tube clamped to the work used as a lathe dog(nice idea), but I don't understand what I'm seeing in the second pic, is that the full dimension brass washer piece you started with and are turning the taper on the left to later be parted off? Did you make the steel taper washer/spacer the same way(between centers)?

thanks, Brian

Last edited by calstar; 01-19-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 01:17 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by calstar
Really nice work, the brass is a very nice detail. Both of the above pics show turning between centers using a rod/tube clamped to the work used as a lathe dog(nice idea), but I don't understand what I'm seeing in the second pic, is that the full dimension brass washer piece you started with and are turning the taper on the left to later be parted off? Did you make the steel taper washer/spacer the same way(between centers)?

thanks, Brian
That is correct. I turned all the components between centers so that the faces would be parallel to each other. I uploaded all the pics from my phone and they are all rotated 180 degress for some reason.

Last edited by Tdotbikes; 01-19-20 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-19-20, 01:27 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Very nice work Fernando! The bronze washer is a very nice touch. What kind of table is this post on?
The alignment table is a 4x3 cast iron surface plate. It came not far from you Doug, from Ferris State University in Big Rapids MI. I was lucky enough to buy it cheap on auction. I have to lower the base, at the moment it is on casters and sits about 40” high”

Old 01-19-20, 01:28 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Nice job!

My post is much simpler, partly because my lathe skills don't measure up. Simple cylinder with a 3/4" hole bored through the center for a piece of threaded drill rod. My alignment plate has a threaded hole for the drill rod. I also use a threaded insert that came with my Bringhelli bottom bracket facing tool; I thread that in before facing and then leave it in while performing alignment work since it supports the BB nicely. Anyway, sorry to twist this thread towards what I did.

DSC01230 by nessism, on Flickr

DSC01229 by nessism, on Flickr
Likes For Nessism:
Old 01-19-20, 03:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Interesting post (bad pun).

Comments in general- My surface plate (2'x3' cast steel) is 38" off the floor and with my 5' 6" height it's as high as I would want. I feel that the efforts to establish the post to reference the shell's axis are a lost cause. With the clamping pressure needed for secure holding the shell will be pretty much trapped by it's faces, the lower face will settle flat on the post and the upper face will be what it is. The pressure washer (the brass washer in this example) will slightly cock on the shaft/through bolt as the faces' parallelness dictates. If that washer has enough vertical dimension and is of a snug enough fit to the shaft the it might hold the shell WRT the average of the two faces' parallelness, not what I would want when wailing on the frame as the shell will tend to move about if the faces are not square to the post and washer. IMO the critical spec is the post's two faces being parallel. Of course if your alignment checking method doesn't use the shell at all this doesn't matter. Andy
Old 01-19-20, 05:11 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Interesting post (bad pun).

Comments in general- My surface plate (2'x3' cast steel) is 38" off the floor and with my 5' 6" height it's as high as I would want. I feel that the efforts to establish the post to reference the shell's axis are a lost cause. With the clamping pressure needed for secure holding the shell will be pretty much trapped by it's faces, the lower face will settle flat on the post and the upper face will be what it is. The pressure washer (the brass washer in this example) will slightly cock on the shaft/through bolt as the faces' parallelness dictates. If that washer has enough vertical dimension and is of a snug enough fit to the shaft the it might hold the shell WRT the average of the two faces' parallelness, not what I would want when wailing on the frame as the shell will tend to move about if the faces are not square to the post and washer. IMO the critical spec is the post's two faces being parallel. Of course if your alignment checking method doesn't use the shell at all this doesn't matter. Andy
I know from another post on this forum you use the head tube as the reference. I have seen many pics from great builders who use this method as well. Without having to go too deep, do you mind sharing your process here? I am always looking for another excuse to make more tools!
Old 01-19-20, 07:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
I use both the BB post supported method and the head tube one depending on what's going on.

With the BB post method I do record the slope (referenced to the flat surface) over a set distance of the ST then aim for this same slope on the HT. So both tubes are parallel (or as close as we can get them). This method allows the BB to be slightly off axis and still deal with the tracking alignment while the frame is held securely enough to do any whipping to the frame.

The HT held method has a set of stand offs on the surface plate which support a through the HT rod, the HT being located with a cone on both ends. Then the ST is supported by an adjustable (machinist's jack screw) at about it's mid point and at a center height equal to the HT. This removes the BB from any influence and for mere checking of tracking alignment I think this is a better/more straightforward way. But the HT isn't held solidly enough for any corrective forces to be applied. So back to the post for the whipping/correcting. I first heard this method referred to as the Bontrager method, not sure if Keith did come up with it or was the first in this interweb time to be known for it.

This thread shows what I'm talking about. https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...-question.html Andy
Old 01-21-20, 06:37 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
That's nicely done! A couple things that come to mind:
1- a top nut that has handles is nice as you can hold the frame with one hand and give the handle a swing and the weight will carry it down the threads. The nut you have will require a separate wrench which is inconvenient. I'm sure you can whip something up with your lathe!
2- the relieved threads at the top of the post is well thought out so the nut doesn't fall off every time you take it off. The nut will disengage the threads but remain seated on the post until you remove it. Nice touch!

You may find the extra steel washer at the top is inconvenient as well. Any extra part you have to get on there is another chance to drop something!
Old 01-21-20, 08:08 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I use both the BB post supported method and the head tube one depending on what's going on.

With the BB post method I do record the slope (referenced to the flat surface) over a set distance of the ST then aim for this same slope on the HT. So both tubes are parallel (or as close as we can get them). This method allows the BB to be slightly off axis and still deal with the tracking alignment while the frame is held securely enough to do any whipping to the frame.

The HT held method has a set of stand offs on the surface plate which support a through the HT rod, the HT being located with a cone on both ends. Then the ST is supported by an adjustable (machinist's jack screw) at about it's mid point and at a center height equal to the HT. This removes the BB from any influence and for mere checking of tracking alignment I think this is a better/more straightforward way. But the HT isn't held solidly enough for any corrective forces to be applied. So back to the post for the whipping/correcting. I first heard this method referred to as the Bontrager method, not sure if Keith did come up with it or was the first in this interweb time to be known for it.

This thread shows what I'm talking about. https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...-question.html Andy
I appreciate the comments and answers. I suspect most builders don’t openly talk about whipping their customers frames into alignment. My first couple frames were far from straight but rode perfectly fine. I doubt most people could tell if they were riding a badly aligned frame.
Thanks so much for sharing your process on checking alignment, I plan on going for perfect alignment on the next one.
Old 01-22-20, 02:54 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by duanedr
That's nicely done! A couple things that come to mind:
1- a top nut that has handles is nice as you can hold the frame with one hand and give the handle a swing and the weight will carry it down the threads. The nut you have will require a separate wrench which is inconvenient. I'm sure you can whip something up with your lathe!
2- the relieved threads at the top of the post is well thought out so the nut doesn't fall off every time you take it off. The nut will disengage the threads but remain seated on the post until you remove it. Nice touch!

You may find the extra steel washer at the top is inconvenient as well. Any extra part you have to get on there is another chance to drop something!
I modelled this BB post from what I’ve seen on the net, from a drawing I have from the Paterek manual and mostly copying what I remember from Doug Fattic’s course.
I agree that having the extra washer on top is clunky. I don’t plan on using the post with all of the washers. I made the stainless washer to be used without the brass washer if the occasion arises.