Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jamis Aurora Elite tire clearance

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 10:14 AM
ndrose

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Jamis website specifies 35mm clearance with fenders, which is how it comes stock. Can’t find any indication of the clearance without fenders. Anybody happen to know?
Old 01-06-20, 07:10 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience, but I've owned two bikes with the same specification (35s with fenders), and a true 40mm was absolutely as much tire as I could fit in it. So I'd say a 38mm is probably a safe bet.
Old 01-07-20, 09:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
Jamis website specifies 35mm clearance with fenders, which is how it comes stock. Can’t find any indication of the clearance without fenders. Anybody happen to know?
Do you own the bike?
Old 01-07-20, 11:16 AM
ndrose

Originally Posted by djb
Do you own the bike?
No, it’s on my list of candidates for a new bike. Looking for something versatile, so I’d like to be able to go wider than 35mm, which to me is maybe ok but just at the bottom edge of the sweet spot.

A dealer would presumably know, but most of the bikes I’m looking at don’t have retailers very close by, so I’m trying to gather some information before making expeditions.
Old 01-07-20, 11:29 AM
djb

Hope you can get some experienced answers.
and yes, I agree that a frame that can take wider certainly is more versatile, and has real riding advantages with wider.
Depending on what you are doing of course.
Old 01-16-20, 10:16 AM
ndrose

For those who may also be interested, I got a reply from Jamis customer service. There were various complications predicated on various contingencies, but the basic answer (that is, just removing the fenders and putting different tires on, without changing wheelsets or anything) is 40mm.
Old 01-19-20, 10:06 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by ndrose
For those who may also be interested, I got a reply from Jamis customer service. There were various complications predicated on various contingencies, but the basic answer (that is, just removing the fenders and putting different tires on, without changing wheelsets or anything) is 40mm.
Just remember, not every mfg’s “40mm” tire is a true 40mm. Some 38’s can run up to 42 and some 42’s can be as narrow as 37. Conti’s made in India are notoriously undersized. When uncertain, I’ve taken my bike to the shop and tried the tires on the spot with the understanding that they have to fit before I buy. Of course, it helps to have a friendly relationship with your LBS.

-Kedosto
Old 01-19-20, 03:05 PM
ndrose

Yeah, the customer service rep said 40 is their “safe number” but I guess “safe” could mean either “the widest 40 on the market will fit” or “the average 40 will fit comfortably”.

I did find in another forum someone saying they had only been able to fit 38 in the back, and 36 fit better. That bike was a few years old; I don’t know whether Jamis has changed the chainstays since then.

I have yet to talk to any LBS about Jamis since the nearest dealer is not very close. Definitely on my scouting list, though.
Old 01-19-20, 03:23 PM
djb

and dont forget that diff width of rims can change the real life width of tires. My usual example I bring up is my 2 inch tires 50-51mm tires actually measuring 45mm on my rims, although proper 40mm tires are already narrower, so the "rim effect" probably wouldnt be as pronounced...