Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 07:04 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
@limbot, what is the actual inflated width on those Kenda Small Block 8s? They look nice on your DS!
Sorry, can't tell you . If you look above at one of my posts, my DS is sadly no more and is a real gravel bike ( under 5 foot of gravel). I'd actually put the OEM LT3s back in for use in Vietnam so still have the Small Block 8s in storage...somewhere.... That picture was with 50psi in them if I remember rightly.

Thought it looked pretty good with them on

Last edited by limbot; 12-03-18 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 08:23 PM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by limbot
Sorry, can't tell you . If you look above at one of my posts, my DS is sadly no more and is a real gravel bike ( under 5 foot of gravel). I'd actually put the OEM LT3s back in for use in Vietnam so still have the Small Block 8s in storage...somewhere.... That picture was with 50psi in them if I remember rightly.

Thought it looked pretty good with them on

That was a very sad shot of your 8.4, was it up that hill farther or did that **** just flow over the top of it... We can get wet and we can get muddy, but we're flat as flat can be.
Old 12-04-18, 12:15 PM
Woodstock1780

Bikes: Trek DS4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie...intro...???

Hi all, I am trying to get back into cycling after being forced to leave due to back injuries 10 years ago. After reading a lot about Hybrid's here I got pumped and thought that riding rail trails might be a way back into cycling for me. So, I zeroed in on a DS 2 at my LBS, but they didn't have the frame size that I need. Long story short I ended up ordering a DS4 & am expecting delivery sometime this week or next. If all goes well for me...meaning that my back can handle the stress. Is there anything that I should be aware of with the DS4 in particular? Also, I will be transporting my ride to various sections of the Airline Trail in CT 2-3 times/week weather permitting. I thought that rather than tossing my new ride in the back of my F150 that a hitch rack would be good. Boy, have things changed since I left!!! Racks are pretty pricey. Looked at the old standby's....Thule & Yakima...and didn't think that the quality of build matched the prices being asked. Then I bumped into the 1up USA single rack and it looks like the way to go. So, my question now is ....is it worth it to go with the heavier 2" hitch model or is the 1 1/2" to 2" model good enough?
Old 12-04-18, 01:16 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Woodstock1780
Hi all, I am trying to get back into cycling after being forced to leave due to back injuries 10 years ago. After reading a lot about Hybrid's here I got pumped and thought that riding rail trails might be a way back into cycling for me. So, I zeroed in on a DS 2 at my LBS, but they didn't have the frame size that I need. Long story short I ended up ordering a DS4 & am expecting delivery sometime this week or next. If all goes well for me...meaning that my back can handle the stress. Is there anything that I should be aware of with the DS4 in particular? Also, I will be transporting my ride to various sections of the Airline Trail in CT 2-3 times/week weather permitting. I thought that rather than tossing my new ride in the back of my F150 that a hitch rack would be good. Boy, have things changed since I left!!! Racks are pretty pricey. Looked at the old standby's....Thule & Yakima...and didn't think that the quality of build matched the prices being asked. Then I bumped into the 1up USA single rack and it looks like the way to go. So, my question now is ....is it worth it to go with the heavier 2" hitch model or is the 1 1/2" to 2" model good enough?
Make sure that you have a great fit with the DS4, your LBS should be able to help you on this. Otherwise it may take a little while for you to figure out how to set the bike up for a good fit.

Lots of great bike racks. but if you are only using one bike for the rack, save yourself some money and weight by getting no more than a 2 bike rack. Which means 1 1/4 inch should be fine. You could be flooded with what people like and dislike on racks. Check the racks out within your price range and just get what makes you happy.

My personal opinion, SARIS makes great racks that are not too heavy, well constructed, sturdy and made in U.S.A.
Old 12-04-18, 01:34 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Make sure that you have a great fit with the DS4, your LBS should be able to help you on this. Otherwise it may take a little while for you to figure out how to set the bike up for a good fit.

Lots of great bike racks. but if you are only using one bike for the rack, save yourself some money and weight by getting no more than a 2 bike rack. Which means 1 1/4 inch should be fine. You could be flooded with what people like and dislike on racks. Check the racks out within your price range and just get what makes you happy.

My personal opinion, SARIS makes great racks that are not too heavy, well constructed, sturdy and made in U.S.A.
Thanks for the response. I initially was looking at a FX2, but being that I will be doing very little road riding I opted for the DS. I did have the LBS put a L framed FX on a trainer to check for fit and it became quickly apparent that I needed an XL frame. I am 6'1" & 183lbs with a 34" inseam. While I could make do with the L frame it was only doable with adjustments made to the limits and the salesman thought that I would probably need a longer seat post. I checked out the Saris, but unless I am missing something they only have 2 up racks and I only need one. The 1up has a single rack and seems to be built well for $299 shipped. Also looked at a Kuat Transfer 1....no feedback on that one yet, but it is only $220.
Old 12-04-18, 01:47 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Originally, I was shopping for an FX3 Disc, but being that I will do very little road riding I though that the DS would be a better option for me. During my LBS visit I rode an FX large frame on a trainer and it quickly became apparent that I needed the XL frame. I am 6'1" 183lbs with a 34" inseam. I took a leap of faith here as I have not even seen a DS4 let alone ridden one. Saris....I checked them out but unless I am missing something they do not have a single bike rack. The 1UP single Quik Rack sells for $300 shipped in silver and seems to be very well built. I also looked at a Kuat Transfer 1 for $220, but have not gotten much feedback on that rack. So many options!!!!!
Old 12-04-18, 03:01 PM
308jerry

Thanks for the reply. Originally, I was shopping for an FX3 Disc, but being that I will do very little road riding I though that the DS would be a better option for me. During my LBS visit I rode an FX large frame on a trainer and it quickly became apparent that I needed the XL frame. I am 6'1" 183lbs with a 34" inseam. I took a leap of faith here as I have not even seen a DS4 let alone ridden one. Saris....I checked them out but unless I am missing something they do not have a single bike rack. The 1UP single Quik Rack sells for $300 shipped in silver and seems to be very well built. I also looked at a Kuat Transfer 1 for $220, but have not gotten much feedback on that rack. So many options!!!!!
You'll have a great time on your DS... As for racks, I went the cheap ama**n route for four bikes. Don't do that.... The wife and I have a business that we have to work sometime up to 30 miles away. If I'm ready early enough I take off on my bike and peddle till she catches up with me and then I load the bike on the rack and off we go. I went about ten miles one morning, she caught me, put the Trek 4300 mtb in the rack and away we go. Get to where we're going get out and look back...... No fn bike. The back of the pickup is loaded with work related things so we couldn't see behind us. I traced our route and it was a goner ..... It probably would have been trash anyway.... But it was gone . It's how I ended up with a DS
Funny now but not so much when it happened.
Old 12-04-18, 04:02 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
You'll have a great time on your DS... As for racks, I went the cheap ama**n route for four bikes. Don't do that.... The wife and I have a business that we have to work sometime up to 30 miles away. If I'm ready early enough I take off on my bike and peddle till she catches up with me and then I load the bike on the rack and off we go. I went about ten miles one morning, she caught me, put the Trek 4300 mtb in the rack and away we go. Get to where we're going get out and look back...... No fn bike. The back of the pickup is loaded with work related things so we couldn't see behind us. I traced our route and it was a goner ..... It probably would have been trash anyway.... But it was gone . It's how I ended up with a DS
Funny now but not so much when it happened.
Now that story is a cause for pause when thinking about skimping on a rack!!! The more I read and discuss the more convinced I am becoming that the 1UP USA single rack is the way for me to go. First, however, I need to actually get my DS4 and see if I am going to bond with it. With winter coming quickly, my riding time will be quite limited so, it will have to be love at first sight, LOL.
Old 12-04-18, 06:14 PM
308jerry

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
This is where sizing is tough...and I like to post actual measurements when available. 2" = 58mm wide, if it's absolutely true to size, but we know that most tires are not true to nominal size. And, frustratingly, even though Schwalbe call it a 29x2, the ERTRO measurement is 50x622 (50mm diameter casing, on 622mm rim). That's very much not a 2" tire, but that's become the norm.

On your specific bike, what is the clearance between the chain stays near where the shoulder (side lugs) of the tread, would be? If it's about 50mm, and you think an actual 51mm tire would be too wide, you could look at any of a number of 47mm tires (they'll be marked 700x47 or 47-622). I know Schwalbe and Continental make a few in this size, plus others as well. Schwalbes are generally pretty true to the ERTRO size (a 50-622 is going to be close to 50mm wide, and a 47-622 is going to be close to 47mm wide), but Continental is often a fair bit smaller even than the ERTRO size. If your actual clearance is about 50mm, then a 45-47mm tire might be good (more selection in 45mm wide probably).
Got some measurements this evening. It has the original 700 x 38s on it now which are 1 1/2 inches wide. From the sidewall there's another 3/8ths inch per side to the chsinstay. The Schwalbes that are 50mm should fit wit no problem, and two inches may fit fine also if there not to tall ... Might just bite the bullet and try a set ... Thanks
Old 12-04-18, 09:35 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Besides a hitch mount bike rack, maybe try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or one like it. We have a Honda CR-V that we haul two bikes inside the car. I screwed the mounts onto a board and then secured that board to the car with tie down straps to keep it from sliding around. The rear wheels are simply velcroed down to prevent them from sliding left to right. You'll need to take the front wheel off the bike but that's a pretty easy and fast thing to do. We've hauled them many times over the last 6 months without any issues and I like the fact they're inside the car.
Old 12-05-18, 03:10 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...this would be a great solution for a truck bed carry were it not for my hard tonneau cover. So, I bit the bullet & ordered a 1UP USA single rack.
Old 12-05-18, 04:29 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shop called this afternoon.....my DS4 was ready so I went and picked it up. This was a leap of faith purchase for me and I am happy to report that my first impressions are all good. The only bad thing that I can relate is that 10 years of not riding and this on going growing old problem sent me some not so nice messages! But, I am hoping that I can regain a lot of what I have lost and have some fun at the same time. My last road bike was a Lemond Arrivee and the DS4 is a lot heavier so I thought that the DS4 would feel cumbersome. It actually feels quite nimble unlike the rider, LOL! Hoping for a warm winter!!
Old 12-08-18, 08:50 PM
drcharper14

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Price question

Dude!! You got a really good deal on that! Nice bike!
I was thinking that 375 was a great price also.... would 450.00 be to much for this bike?
Old 12-08-18, 09:17 PM
308jerry

Originally Posted by drcharper14
I was thinking that 375 was a great price also.... would 450.00 be to much for this bike?
If it's hardly been ridden it might be. According to bike blue book one in excellent shape is at 410. 00 tops.
Old 12-10-18, 02:43 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that story is a cause for pause when thinking about skimping on a rack!!! The more I read and discuss the more convinced I am becoming that the 1UP USA single rack is the way for me to go. First, however, I need to actually get my DS4 and see if I am going to bond with it. With winter coming quickly, my riding time will be quite limited so, it will have to be love at first sight, LOL.
The 1UP USA rack arrived soon after my DS4....FWIW, this is one of the best built racks that I have ever seen and well worth the price. Now I just need a sunny day and some warmer temps!
Old 12-10-18, 03:01 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
The 1UP USA rack arrived soon after my DS4....FWIW, this is one of the best built racks that I have ever seen and well worth the price. Now I just need a sunny day and some warmer temps!
Pictures would be nice!
Old 12-10-18, 03:07 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures would be nice!
I agree, they would be nice, but I fall into the less than 10 posts category!
Old 12-10-18, 08:13 PM
308jerry

No time like..... now...... Lol. Be getting some pics so when #10 happens we all can see it.....
Old 12-11-18, 07:38 AM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be careful what you ask for, LOL! Just a couple more then showtime. Then I guess I will be posting over on the broken body forum.
Old 12-12-18, 07:31 AM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weather isn't cooperating for me...just to cold....less than 30 degrees most days. So, I am ogling my DS4 and have a question on the pedals. It came with some Wellgo platform composite pedals. I have yet to learn how to ride with platform pedals, but one thing caught my eye and that is that these pedals do not have the traction screws (?) like many other pedal systems. They are molded protrusions and it would seem that they are less aggressive that those with the metal screws. Proof will be in the riding of course, but I was just wondering if it really makes that much of a difference.
Old 12-12-18, 09:23 AM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics of the trail that motivated me to get back into cycling, new DS4 and 1UP USA rack to get me to the trails.

Old 12-12-18, 11:17 AM
308jerry

Weather isn't cooperating for me...just to cold....less than 30 degrees most days. So, I am ogling my DS4 and have a question on the pedals. It came with some Wellgo platform composite pedals. I have yet to learn how to ride with platform pedals, but one thing caught my eye and that is that these pedals do not have the traction screws (?) like many other pedal systems. They are molded protrusions and it would seem that they are less aggressive that those with the metal screws. Proof will be in the riding of course, but I was just wondering if it really makes that much of a difference.
Not even sure what pedals are on mine. I just enjoy riding it.......
Nice bike. And very nice rack I might add.. 🤔
Old 12-17-18, 12:41 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Talking

Pics of the trail that motivated me to get back into cycling, new DS4 and 1UP USA rack to get me to the trails.

You sure that Ford gonna be able to handles that load?
Old 12-17-18, 05:55 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

Where is that? Looks a really pretty place to ride, and good choice of bike!
Old 12-17-18, 06:26 PM
Woodstock1780

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Badger1, that is the Pomfret, CT section of the Airline Trail.....the trail is 54 miles long and the majority of the trail is as nice as this. My way back to fitness!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.