Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970? Schwinn Paramount Sports Tourer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 02:59 PM
gjgarcia41

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am trying to get my dad's old Schwinn back on the road. It has been sitting in a garage for about 5 years https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

I am a total newbie when it comes to bicycle maintenance. Do you guys think I could just take it to my local Schwinn shop and they can tune it up? Or do you think it needs more work like a restoration? A part of me would like love to re-paint it like new again. Do any of you know of a good bicycle shop in southern California that specializes in vintage restoration?

Also, how can I determine the exact year/make of this bicycle? I would love to find the manual online somewhere. Thank you all for your expertise!
Old 08-20-15, 03:08 PM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Could you post this full number? Looks like maybe K 4011 something? The bike is a Sports Tourer, not a paramount. A very nice bike!
Old 08-20-15, 03:32 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gjgarcia41
I am trying to get my dad's old Schwinn back on the road. It has been sitting in a garage for about 5 years https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing
Cool bike! Note that is a Sports Tourer, not a Paramount. The Sports Tourer was just below the Paramount in the product lineup and the frames were hand-made by the same people that built the Paramount frames. That particular frame is a 24" size and painted in Kool Lemon (Schwinn's name for that yellow color). Originally the fork was painted with only the crown and lower 6" on each leg chrome, but since the forks were fully chromed underneath the paint many would remove the paint to expose the full chrome.

I am a total newbie when it comes to bicycle maintenance. Do you guys think I could just take it to my local Schwinn shop and they can tune it up? Or do you think it needs more work like a restoration?
A restoration (returning the bike to original condition) would not be recommended for that bike since almost every component has been changed. From what I can see the only original parts remaining are the frame/fork, seatpost binder, headset, shifters and handlebar. If you wanted a stock Sports Tourer you could purchase another one in as good or better condition for less than it would cost to find and purchase all of the original parts.

The good thing about that is that the parts on the bike now are equal to or in many cases better than the original parts. I would be thinking more about "refurbishing" (cleaning, polishing, re-greasing, etc.) than actually restoring.

A part of me would like love to re-paint it like new again.
The paint and decals on that bike would clean up well, and minor touch-ups or replacement decals would make it look even better. A repaint might cost as much or more than the bike is worth and hurt the value in the end.

Also, how can I determine the exact year/make of this bicycle?
The make is Schwinn, model is the Sports Tourer. According to what I see of the serial number on the base of the headtube (KG040117) the KG part means the frame was built in Oct. '71. While many would think that makes this a '71 model, Schwinn normally stockpiled these particular frames for several months (or even years in some cases) before building them into bikes so it was most likely painted and built in '72.

Here is the original '72 catalog page:

I would love to find the manual online somewhere. Thank you all for your expertise!
You can see the original '72 owner's manual here.

Last edited by Metacortex; 08-20-15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-20-15, 03:32 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
That is a 'Sports Tourer' not a Paramount. It appears to be early to mid 70's (maybe '74 based on the serial no.?). I think it needs more than a simple tune-up, more like a complete overhaul; new tires, cables, brake pads, re-grease all bearings, polish, wax, touch-up paint, etc.

I don't know of any bike shops that specialize in vintage bikes in your area, but some members here may be willing to help you out.
Old 08-20-15, 03:55 PM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Great looking Sports Tourer...as others have said, it is in good shape to be refurbished...but...PLEASE do not repaint it! Keep that original paint...or...at the very least, clean it really well before deciding. I believe that there are places to get a good match for the Kool Lemon paint, as it was a quite popular Schwinn color...and then you could do some touch ups.

One thing to replace, however, IMHO...that saddle!!!!
Old 08-20-15, 04:38 PM
Kactus

You can buy Kool Lemon touch-up paint here; https://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm It has a base layer paint that you will need if re-touching large spots.
Old 08-20-15, 04:51 PM
gjgarcia41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thank you so much for the info! How can you tell that it is a 24"?
Old 08-20-15, 04:57 PM
gjgarcia41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely not re-painting it now. Thank you for the advice.
Old 08-20-15, 04:57 PM
Kactus

Originally Posted by gjgarcia41
How can you tell that it is a 24"?
The Sports Tourer was offed in three sizes per the catalog; 22", 24" and 26". After looking at bikes for a while, you can get a pretty good idea of the size they are from photos.
Old 08-20-15, 05:04 PM
gjgarcia41

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thank you for the link.
Old 07-02-18, 09:32 AM
glene77is

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Gran Tourer, 1971

Guys,
There is a website with many Schwinn catalogs presented, by a husband/wife team.
Catalogs from about 1947 on, showing the shift into recreational bikes.
*** I own ( circa 1975) , bought used,
and have logged 90,000 miles on a Schwinn Tourer. SN# OG 066 779 .
* Clue me in on this Serial Number ! never looked it up for reference.
*** in a web catalog ( listed year is 1971) , it is labeled "Schwinn Paramount Grand Tourer".
* I found a reference to this model, with the Campy Gran Tourismo deraileurs ,
same gear ratios, same everything all matching my model.
*** I bought it in the mid-70's, and have change the shifters to Campy front and Simplex rear.
* Original chainwheels were 54/49/36 triple, and I acquired 52/45 , switched later to 52/36.
* Original deraileurs were Campy ( big-big Grand Tourismo rear), with gears 5 speed 14x32.
* I found that the original 14-32 tooth rear cluster required the Campy Gran Tourismo shifter
due to the wide spacing of the cluster. I changed the 14x32 to 6 speed 14x28
and mounted a 70's vintage Campy deraileur in front.
* I changed the TA 3speed chainwheels to TA 2speed( 52, 36 ) and mounted 14-28 cluster.
* I changed the original 27 inch Weinman rims to 27 inch Maillard ( Weinman was weak and became damaged ),
and noted that I could mount 27 1/4 x 35mm tires ( lots of room around the tire ).
* I changed the top-bar shifters to Down-Tube ( Simplex ) ,
and made a set of aero-bars mounted on the Italian handlebars.
* Frame is Cromo, tig weld, weighing in at 34 lbs stripped down, and 44 lbs loaded
with aero-bars, rear rack, tool/food pack, and four water bottles .
* Most mods were made in the late 1970's when I became very active in our club,
The Memphis Hightailers Bicycle Club, hosted by Charles Finney, Memphis, TN.
*** Not exactly like the original, but thoroughly Vintage and well used.
*** Plan to ride it around here, to some hills today, usually about 40 miles.
*** This old vintage man likes his old vintage bike.

Last edited by glene77is; 07-02-18 at 09:55 AM. Reason: old fingers