Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 09:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Like @qcpmsame said. Entrance to The Lounge requires two things, a Tommasini and pics!
Old 02-23-18, 10:28 AM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
So, I have my new (to me) Diamante w Shimano 600 groupset. This is the first bike I have ever owned with STI (Ergo) brifters and I'm planning on leaving it that way...BUT it sure screams for a Campagnolo groupo. What should that groupo be? (I have a lovely set of Delta (5 pivot) brakes.)
In its day, what would have been appropriate for this very Italian beauty?
Thanks
Lou
1. What size is it?
2. In case it's a 55 or 56, there's no need to worry about a group. Just send it to me (I'll even pay shipping) and I'll take good care of it.

... still searching for a reasonably-priced Diamante in 56!

Pics please
Old 02-26-18, 09:24 AM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
At a break stop on the MUPs yesterday. First outing with my Prestige. Now I understand what all the fuss is about! We are as one (Oh - and I know the pump's on backward .)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trailhead.jpg (1.54 MB, 752 views)

Last edited by Honusms; 02-27-18 at 07:12 AM.
Likes For Honusms:
Old 02-26-18, 09:47 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjav
1. What size is it?
2. In case it's a 55 or 56, there's no need to worry about a group. Just send it to me (I'll even pay shipping) and I'll take good care of it.

... still searching for a reasonably-priced Diamante in 56!

Pics please
55 and some day somebody has to tell me what a reasonably priced bike is. I'm out of town for a bit, but when I get home, you guys have got to see this paint scheme. Is it clouds or smoke or what? Very cool.
Old 02-27-18, 05:51 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Honusms
At a break stop on the MUPs yesterday. First outing with my Prestige. Now I understand what all the fuss is about! We are as one
Very nice! I am drawn to that pic.
Old 02-27-18, 07:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Ah, yet another happy captive for the Tommasini gang, @Honusms, you are well in our grasp.....Resistance is futile.

Bill
Old 02-27-18, 07:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,880 Posts
55 and some day somebody has to tell me what a reasonably priced bike is. I'm out of town for a bit, but when I get home, you guys have got to see this paint scheme. Is it clouds or smoke or what? Very cool.
We can only guess without pictures. However, based on your description, I suspect it is the Magniflex paint scheme from the very early 1990s. Magniflex was an Italian mattress manufacturer who sponsored many pro cycling teams in the 1970s & 1980s. Clouds were often a prominent feature in their advertisements. The scheme was offered in blue and white for 1990, with a red and white version being added for 1991.

So, I have my new (to me) Diamante w Shimano 600 groupset. This is the first bike I have ever owned with STI (Ergo) brifters and I'm planning on leaving it that way...BUT it sure screams for a Campagnolo groupo. What should that groupo be? (I have a lovely set of Delta (5 pivot) brakes.)
In its day, what would have been appropriate for this very Italian beauty?
A large number of Diamante were sold as framesets. Consequently, they were built with both Campagnolo and Shimano (and even the odd SunTour Superbe Pro). Given the era, a pre-Ergo Camapgnolo group would be appropriate, which means if you want indexing, Syncro II is appropriate.

Personally, I'd rather have a Shimano group of the era, even mid-range 600 Ultegra. It outperforms even the best Campagnolo groups of the era, especially in the critical parameters of shifting and braking performance. But then, I'm a performance oriented rider. However, if you're determined to equip it with Campagnolo, the preferred Campagnolo groups would be Record, Chorus and Athena, in that order. If you decide to splurge for Record, try to get the 1991 version which introduced a better performing, slant parallelogram rear derailleur and a freehub with cassette cogs.
Attached Images
Tommasini Diamante Magniflex.jpg (443.8 KB, 712 views)

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-27-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-28-18, 02:40 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Tommasini Diamante

Here she is:
Attached Images
IMG_0026.jpg (109.5 KB, 696 views)
IMG_0027.jpg (90.2 KB, 696 views)
IMG_0028.jpg (88.7 KB, 696 views)
IMG_0029.jpg (56.9 KB, 687 views)
IMG_0030.jpg (106.5 KB, 696 views)
Old 02-28-18, 02:42 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

and a couple more:
Attached Images
IMG_0031.jpg (88.3 KB, 690 views)
IMG_0032.jpg (86.1 KB, 692 views)
IMG_0033.jpg (90.2 KB, 690 views)
IMG_0034.jpg (114.1 KB, 694 views)
IMG_0035.jpg (112.6 KB, 694 views)
Old 02-28-18, 02:43 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

oh, and this jewel:
Attached Images
IMG_0037.jpg (83.9 KB, 693 views)
Old 02-28-18, 03:01 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Very unusual paint scheme on your Diamante @LouB, never sen that colourway before. I have the same stem on my Prestige, kind of grows on you with its different appearance. Yours is well executed, kudos sir.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-28-18, 04:53 PM
T-Mar

That looks like a white version of the Colonia paint scheme.
Old 02-28-18, 04:57 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Very unusual paint scheme on your Diamante @LouB, never sen that colourway before. I have the same stem on my Prestige, kind of grows on you with its different appearance. Yours is well executed, kudos sir.

Bill
Thanks Bill. Yes, I havent seen that paint scheme on any other bike. The Magniflex bikes I've seen pictures of are different and I thought they ended cycling team sponsorship in the 80's. but if those are images of clouds, I could see it being one of those. Or maybe its smoke. Just not sure. yes, the stem does grow on you...and one things for sure--dont need another component with Tommasini's name on it. We get it!
Old 02-28-18, 04:58 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Originally Posted by T-Mar
That looks like a white version of the Colonia paint scheme.
Can you tell me more about that, T-Mar?
Old 02-28-18, 06:30 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Tommasini pantographed parts can get pricey when you can find them. The factory generated new stuff was sold out last time I looked there.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-01-18 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 09:01 PM
mrjav
Girardenghista

Bikes: Tommasini SL, Ciöcc SL, Somec MS, Rossin Ghibli, many many more

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ah, THAT Diamante. Yes, before I moved/escaped from LA, I was talking to him about this one. I had been very tempted but I couldn't justify the price knowing what he paid for that saddle, which I would have just removed. I already have one by Laura and while they're awesome, I definitely wouldn't have kept a Brooks on that bike. Something about all that brown with the crazy neon wasn't going to do it for me, plus my 80's / 90's bikes are riders that prefer a Rolls or similar.

I'm glad you got it and that it'll be well appreciated! White Colonia, I believe, is the right call on that. It is definitely one of those Tommasini Unicorn paint jobs that I blogged about. Awesome bike...
Old 03-01-18, 11:23 PM
Caliwild

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 290 Posts
I hate this thread... every time I think I am good with my vintage rides, I look at this thread and realize I need a Tommasini sometime in my lifetime... I'm such a sucker for their killer paint jobs...
Old 03-02-18, 06:54 AM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I hate this thread... every time I think I am good with my vintage rides, I look at this thread and realize I need a Tommasini sometime in my lifetime... I'm such a sucker for their killer paint jobs...
Mine does not have a wild paint paint job, still looking for that specimen but it does ride awfully nice so I agree with your idea of NEEDING one in your lifetime. Continue the search.
Old 03-02-18, 08:20 AM
T-Mar

Can you tell me more about that, T-Mar?
Colonia was a two tone scheme consisting of a brighter base colour covered with darker, irregular shapes. It appears to have been a generic finish developed by Tommasini and not one associated with a pro team. Some people call this finish "marble', as the irregular shapes somewhat resemble the crystals found in marble. However, it is different from the official Tommasini Marble finish, which uses darker coloured veins to replicate marble.

Like their Marble finish, each Colonia finish is unique, with no two bicycles having the same pattern. I don't know exactly when Colonia was introduced but it followed Marble which was introduced in 1987 on the SLX version of the Super Prestige. My earliest confirmed use of Colonia are red and blue versions on the 1990 Diamante, however it may have existed earlier. Colonia trickled down to the Super Prestige in 1991.

The above information is based on American models. Introduction years and available colour schemes may have varied somewhat by market, depending on local preference.
Old 03-02-18, 09:47 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Originally Posted by mrjav
Ah, THAT Diamante. Yes, before I moved/escaped from LA, I was talking to him about this one. I had been very tempted but I couldn't justify the price knowing what he paid for that saddle, which I would have just removed. I already have one by Laura and while they're awesome, I definitely wouldn't have kept a Brooks on that bike. Something about all that brown with the crazy neon wasn't going to do it for me, plus my 80's / 90's bikes are riders that prefer a Rolls or similar.

I'm glad you got it and that it'll be well appreciated! White Colonia, I believe, is the right call on that. It is definitely one of those Tommasini Unicorn paint jobs that I blogged about. Awesome bike...
I sure agree about the saddle. I'll take it off and replace it with something more appropriate. Its beautiful, well crafted, but it and the Brooks bar tape dont work for me. Not sure if I sell or store the saddle. Its lovely to look at. Never been a fan of Swallows or Swifts. Just dont fit me right.
Old 03-02-18, 10:14 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Colonia was a two tone scheme consisting of a brighter base colour covered with darker, irregular shapes. It appears to have been a generic finish developed by Tommasini and not one associated with a pro team. Some people call this finish "marble', as the irregular shapes somewhat resemble the crystals found in marble. However, it is different from the official Tommasini Marble finish, which uses darker coloured veins to replicate marble.

Like their Marble finish, each Colonia finish is unique, with no two bicycles having the same pattern. I don't know exactly when Colonia was introduced but it followed Marble which was introduced in 1987 on the SLX version of the Super Prestige. My earliest confirmed use of Colonia are red and blue versions on the 1990 Diamante, however it may have existed earlier. Colonia trickled down to the Super Prestige in 1991.

The above information is based on American models. Introduction years and available colour schemes may have varied somewhat by market, depending on local preference.
Thanks T-Mar. Its beautiful. Great info.
Lou
Old 03-04-18, 10:49 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Has anyone ever asked Tommasini to paint a pump to match their bike?
Old 03-04-18, 07:16 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Conversation Stopper

Brought my Prestige to a local charity ride this weekend. Mine was the only C&V bike in the crowd. While waiting at the start a couple of guys were talking about a trip one just returned from. His words came slower and slower and then he said, “Excuse me - I lost my train of thought. I can’t stop looking at that beautiful bike!” And on the way back to my truck afterward two people calledfrom across the street - “What IS that - it’s gorgeous!”

I now feel responsible for being.a Tommasini ambassador ....
Attached Images
Old 03-15-18, 06:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Proper sales sub-forum:bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales.

You have to upgrade to a Premium membership level, there is an icon on the top panel of the portal for upgrading.

If you want to swap with someone, for the correct frame size, we have a thread for that also, its in the stacked threads at the top of the C&V Forum page.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-02-18, 01:31 PM
rlorenz2

Bikes: 80' Tommasini Prestige, 85' Tommasini Super Prestige, Miele Chic, Miyata 312

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Thought I would link these very nice videos of Tommasini's work shop (old video, good information) since I had not seen them linked here yet. Enjoy!

Tommasini's Work Shop Videos:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.