Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Back Roller V Thule Shield V any similar panniers

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 10-14-20, 04:41 AM
kebabman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to go car free and so am looking at shopping by bike. I have read a fair amount of reviews and the Ortlieb Back Roller panniers seem to come highly recommended and the Thule Shield 25L with the improved attachment system now seems comparable.
I realise that few people might have first hand experience of using both of these but I would really welcome any comments on them. The Thule seems to have 25% bigger capacity. The Ortlieb may have more accessories. I presume that spare parts can be obtained for both fairly easily. I am in the UK. If anyone can suggest similar quality alternatives then that would be most useful too.
Many thanks
Old 10-19-20, 09:39 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I did not even know Thule made panniers until I saw your post. I personally have the Ortliebs. I have one set of backrollers which I bought new in 1994. They have been holding up just fine. No tears or rips. A few months a ago I bought a second newer used pair for my shopping/cargo bike. I love the sturdiness of the bags. You can take them off and caryy them into the store.
But for grocery shopping I also use a Burley Travoy trailer. I can take this one into the store and load it inside.
Old 10-19-20, 09:48 AM
kebabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harhir, many thanks for posting. Taking a trailer into a store, I never would have thought of that!
I think I will get the Ortliebs.
Cheers
Old 10-19-20, 10:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Huge fan of Ortliebs here. I bought the small ones for front panniers 20+ years ago for commuting and shopping. Stuck a sharp kitchen knife through one. Called a local rafting outfit and got detailed verbal instructions on how to repair it and where to go to get the same patches they use on their rafts. Haven't thought about that repair since. I replaced them 10 years ago just because, bought new hardwear (the mounting hooks for about $35). Now I"d go on-line.) I relegated them to rear racks on my Saturday farmers market runs. (Best hook locations are a little different front and rear, at least on my bikes so having designated fronts and rears is nice.)

That 20 year old pair still is 100% waterproof. (Food spills, I just put a little dish soap and hot water in them and wash like a pot. Just as waterproof as the pots.) They work just as well as new. The hardwear has changed but they kept compatibility so both sets have the new standard on them.

And a fun story re: Ortleieb and their listening to customers - 1999 I was looking for new panniers. I'd just moved top Portland and was commuting 3 days a week regardless of weather, January. I wanted waterproof so I could carry paper (books, notebooks ... and very bright because I had been stretching my good luck. Went to several bike shops. Everything I saw was dark. Went to a coop-op. Was told he had heard that a bikeshop in Seattle had asked Ortlieb to do a run of panniers in their raft yellow fabric (Ortleib is the premier German raft maker; panniers are a side line). He'd inquire with the Seattle shop. I told him if he got me a pair, I'd go to all the bike shops and spread the word. He did, I did and now yellow panniers are all over Portland. Now if I could just get SKS to make yellow road width fenders!

Ben
Old 10-20-20, 06:17 AM
kebabman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for the post.
I'm a bit into drinking and home brewing craft beer here in the UK. I gather Portland is a really great place for beer too!
Cheers!