Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Dahon -- German:A Kinetix Q Fork Repair?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 09:34 AM
riverguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, my first post here...

My full-suspension Dahon Jetstream P8 (original version ~2007) has been great, but after all these years the suspension unit (gas spring?) embeded in the steerer tube has failed. The fork is aluminum and the tube is steel (CR MO) and stamped with logo "TGs" which leads me to believe it was not manufactured by German:A but rather purchased off the shelf.

I am seeing a very similar looking fork on Aliexpress for under a hundred bucks, but quite leery about buying one as I think the quality/safety would be highly suspect -- factory production rejects? Also, there is a disclaimer about a lack of threading inside the top of the tube, which is required for the Jetstream P8. (see photos by searching on Google for 32979304568)

Any thoughts/ideas on repairing this fork? I do not want to change the suspension design and AFAIK, this style of suspension fork is no longer available. I am fairly certain I can find a good gas spring that could be fitted into the tube (with the help of a skilled machinist), but I would love to hear from anyone who has attempted this, successfully or otherwise.

Does anyone recognize the 'TGs' logo as a manufacturer I could contact?

Sorry I cannot post photos or links -- apparently this is a restriction for newbies like me.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by riverguy; 02-19-21 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Add info...
Old 02-19-21, 11:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Not being able to post pics is an anti-spam measure.

Put them in an album in your gallery and we can post them in this thread for you