Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Advice on what pedals to get for my new cyclocross bike

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-19-21, 02:35 PM
Claireelesabeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just received my Ridley X-Night Disc 105 HD cyclocross bike.

My previous bike was a road and so I’m wondering what pedals you would recommend for this bike?

My shoes are Shimano road shoes with spds so I’m assuming I’ll need to get new ones.

Apologies if I’m asking slightly obvious questions but I’m very much still learning.

I should probably add that I do intend on using the bike on the bike path and gravel too.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Claireelesabeth; 03-19-21 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-19-21, 03:44 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would get mountain bike SPD pedals.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 03-19-21, 03:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You'll want to get mtb pedals/shoes/cleats. I think Shimano M-540 pedals are great and if you like your road shoes, you can likely get a MTB version of them.
Old 03-19-21, 03:54 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I love my Crank Bros Candy ... https://www.crankbrothers.com/produc...nt=53958720327
Old 03-19-21, 09:41 PM
OddJack

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
After some research I ordered these : SHIMANO DEORE XT PD-M8020

I like the wider contact area. Right now on eBay for $81.90 coming from Hong Kong.
Likes For OddJack:
Old 03-20-21, 11:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Claireelesabeth

My previous bike was a road and so I’m wondering what pedals you would recommend for this bike?

My shoes are Shimano road shoes with spds so I’m assuming I’ll need to get new ones.

Apologies if I’m asking slightly obvious questions but I’m very much still learning.

I should probably add that I do intend on using the bike on the bike path and gravel too.

Thanks in advance
You can totally use the same shoes, assuming you like them. While one shoe type or one pedal type may offer some specific advantage depending on the kind of riding they’re used for, they all perform the same basic function and as such are all suitable for most riding.

For gravel riding, SPD is the most common choice because the cleats and pedals handle rough environments and being dirty better than road 3-bolt cleats, so your SPD are a good choice both functionally and culturally.

I’m imagining your road SPD shoes are something like Specialized Remixes; for non-technical dirt riding (i.e. where you don’t have to dismount and walk in rough, muddy, slippery or rocky conditions) those are perfect. If you do need to consider walking traction, a new set of MTB or gravel SPD shoes with softer, more aggressive outsole tread would be recommended.

It sound like you don’t have your old SPD pedals— they would work fine if you did— so the main features you’re looking for in new ones should be based on the kind of riding you’ll do. For example, assuming you’re proficient using SPD, if the bike is only used for sport riding, you may want a lightweight, single-sided pedal like the Shimano A600. If you think you’ll be doing rec or utility riding where you won’t be always wearing your SPDs, then maybe a mixed, platform+SPD pedal where one side is a flat pedal and the other a cleat clamp, might be a good choice, such as the Shimano EH500.

There are other brands and options, but in any case it should not be difficult to find either shoes or pedals to fit foot, needs, and budget.
Old 03-23-21, 09:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Claireelesabeth

Thanks in advance
I'm confused - you said you have road shoes with SPDs. Shimano road pedals/cleats are called SPD-SL and use the three bolt attachment that road shoes have.

SPD cleats and pedals are much smaller and use two bolt attachment. They are commonly called mountain bike pedals/cleats.

Do you have two bolt mountain bike cleats on your road shoes, and use mountain bike SPD pedals? Or are they SPD-SL?

If you have SPD cleats and SPD pedals, you might want to get a second pair of pedals and cleats, but a new pair of mtb type shoes for walkability, but stick with that system. If they are SPD-SL cleats and pedals, I'd get a mountain bike shoe-cleat-pedal set up for the new bike, and any brand.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-23-21 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-24-21, 12:34 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I have used many different pedals over the years for MTB, gravel and CX riding and racing, and find Shimano XT to be the best value/performance option out there.
I run these pedals on every bike, including road bikes. I gave up on road cleats/pedals/shoes a long time ago.
Old 03-28-21, 02:45 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by OddJack
After some research I ordered these : SHIMANO DEORE XT PD-M8020

I like the wider contact area. Right now on eBay for $81.90 coming from Hong Kong.
Isn't that about the walk in price for the pedals at most bike shops?
Old 04-05-21, 04:33 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Isn't that about the walk in price for the pedals at most bike shops?
They have been replaced by M8120's which are $130. If you can find them NOS maybe they'll be at a discount but doubtful during this pandemic.

I would not recommend A520's because they are one sided and do not like to stay cleat side upright.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 04-06-21, 04:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo

I would not recommend A520's because they are one sided and do not like to stay cleat side upright.
I use Exustar one sided pedals because they're quite a bit lighter and are usually easy to get into. It's not a mountain bike after all. Still allows me the walk ability of mountain bike shoes.
Old 04-06-21, 08:05 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
PD-540s or PD-M8100 if you're fancy. Both are bulletproof and both are perfect for their intended purpose.
Likes For Hiro11: