Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Show me your cruiser.

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Show me your cruiser.

Old 04-12-21, 12:01 AM
Rolla
Gyro Captain

Bikes: Sycip, Black Mountain Cycles, Kona, Fairdale, WeThePeople

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 188 Posts
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-12-21, 07:51 PM
MrWasabi 

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 1995 Giant CFM-4, 2016 Firmstrong Urban Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Nice. What bike is that?
Old 04-13-21, 12:50 AM
Timbeau

Bikes: Schwinn Panther Alfine 8 speed klunker MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Do IGH bikes work OK?
Well... they can.

There's a large number of IGH hubs on the market, and they vary greatly in price, from a couple of hundred to a few thousand dollars.

They have advantages and disadvantages. Some say they put too much weight on the rear axle. Some think they may not handle high torque situations that one would find mountain biking. Some like them because there's no derailleur to break, or chain slap, that they're less likely to be affected by mud, etc. There's a lot of opinions on who's hub is best for this or that application.

I have read some positive things about this hub (Shimano Alfine 8 speed), and in particular, people's reports about their real world experience using it mountain biking. I'm not some Double Black Diamond rider, I don't do big hits, or anything like that. I ride fire roads, flowy singletrack, and love doing long downhill trails; this hub has no problems handling all of that.

That being said, ALL internal gear hubs are persnickety: they need to be set up correctly. Just so. Any number of little things can throw them off. I know some bike mechanics are less familiar with them, so be prepared to just learn how to do things yourself. That requires special tools, taking the time to learn how to do whatever it is you need to do. Removing/replacing the rear wheel takes a few extra steps. Can be a hassle (but certainly not impossible) to change a flat in the field.

But, when they're set up correctly, they're sweet as pie. I really like hub. It seems rugged, gives me a nice range, it feels faster than I was expecting. I'm very happy with it.

What do you have in mind for a klunker? You should totally build one. Everyone should build a klunker.
Old 04-13-21, 10:57 AM
SkinGriz

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
Well... they can.

There's a large number of IGH hubs on the market, and they vary greatly in price, from a couple of hundred to a few thousand dollars.

They have advantages and disadvantages. Some say they put too much weight on the rear axle. Some think they may not handle high torque situations that one would find mountain biking. Some like them because there's no derailleur to break, or chain slap, that they're less likely to be affected by mud, etc. There's a lot of opinions on who's hub is best for this or that application.

I have read some positive things about this hub (Shimano Alfine 8 speed), and in particular, people's reports about their real world experience using it mountain biking. I'm not some Double Black Diamond rider, I don't do big hits, or anything like that. I ride fire roads, flowy singletrack, and love doing long downhill trails; this hub has no problems handling all of that.

That being said, ALL internal gear hubs are persnickety: they need to be set up correctly. Just so. Any number of little things can throw them off. I know some bike mechanics are less familiar with them, so be prepared to just learn how to do things yourself. That requires special tools, taking the time to learn how to do whatever it is you need to do. Removing/replacing the rear wheel takes a few extra steps. Can be a hassle (but certainly not impossible) to change a flat in the field.

But, when they're set up correctly, they're sweet as pie. I really like hub. It seems rugged, gives me a nice range, it feels faster than I was expecting. I'm very happy with it.

What do you have in mind for a klunker? You should totally build one. Everyone should build a klunker.
Thank you. My bike riding is probably more similar to yours than double black diamonds or bike parks. Between family, work, other things, Iím not going to spend the time to become some super serious downhiller.

I donít know what I would build. I guess one that fits me close enough (18Ē MTB bike), has close enough to MTB or BMX geometry, and isnít too expensive of a frame and fork set. Prefer 1 1/8 thread less.

Within reason the klunker style looks fun. And because I know Iím not doing backflips in Utah or whatever, I guess can get away with not strictly following 2 triangles frames as not super concerned with frame strength.

What does a Panther measure out crank to stem? Rear axle width? Was it originally set up horizontal dropout or more like 3x7? Thanks.
Old 04-13-21, 11:07 AM
SkinGriz

Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
Well... they can.

And NO coaster brakes. I like being able to stand or move my pedal position wherever, whenever I want.
Old 04-13-21, 11:29 AM
SkinGriz

I saw it now. 135mm and horizontal dropouts. Sweet combo.
Old 04-15-21, 11:04 AM
kirby999

Bikes: Electra Fat Tire ,Specialized Rockhopper, Hardrock.

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Back in Black !
swapped the green wheelset out for the original black wheelset after changing the rear cog to a 24 tooth for neighborhood cruising .
Put the original Electra saddle back on too . Trying to decide which is more comfortable, leather or padded.
Pulled the rear rack off my Hardrock . I think it looks better .

EDIT: Added the latest picture of my black Electra Cruiser One , which is no longer a One , I swapped the wheels again for a black custom set of aluminum rims with a two speed kick back KT hub . I swapped the cog to a chrome 22 tooth . I went with a bit smaller set of tires , Kenda 26x1.9Ē cruiser slicks . Brought the overall height down a little where I can touch the ground while seated with my short legs . Put the Brooks B-67 back on too . Just looks cooler

Decided to change up my Electra again today . Thought Iíd go more classic look instead of all black .
Likes For kirby999:
Old 04-15-21, 12:24 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
Converted this Mongoose IBOC into a cruiser last year. I've since added a basket to the front rack and a Crane brass bell; need to update my photos.

Now with front basket and bell
Likes For bOsscO: