Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Firm saddle w/ compliant post type comfort

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-21, 11:26 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts

I’ve seen a few references to how compact frames with a compliant seatpost can make possible a different “pro level” of comfort when combined with a firm racing saddle. Sort of the opposite of chasing some holy grail of saddle comfort, when what is really beneficial is give in the seatpost area. Sort of like what come standard on a Trek Domane.

I have my favorite saddle, the Selle Italia Turbomatic Carbon Team mounted on both my road bikes. One is mounted to a Ritchey Superlogic Flexlogic carbon post (350mm @ set at the limit line) the other to a Thomson 27.4 aluminum zero setback post (300mm length, not as much post exposed as the Ritchey since the bike frame is a bit bigger).

So for me, I’ll cut to the chase: for the identical saddle, the comfort level is better for the one mounted on the Ritchey Flexlogic post. The advantage is palpable as rolling gingerly over broken asphalt or chip seal roads is muted and when working with sane levels of tire pressure moderation - it becomes possible to ride longer in comfort without getting pounded.

The Turbomatic team saddle is not stubby BTW. Pretty much an old school design where you can ride the nose of the saddle or shove your butt all the way back for power/climbing.

So when I read threads from folks seeking saddle comfort, I think the conversation of compliant seatposts (not the clunky “shock posts” that used to come standard on mid-level touring and hybrid bikes) is overdue to be re-visited.

The Cane Creek thud buster seems like another intriguing option however due to weight reasons, is it something that could be run on a road bike? Also the Specialized post with that Z shaped head might be interesting to hear reviews on...
Old 04-18-21, 01:49 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Also the Specialized post with that Z shaped head might be interesting to hear reviews on...
The CG-R, aka the "Cobble Gobbler!" Specialized has replaced it with the Terra seat post, now sold under the house brand Roval. Like the CG-R the Terra is round 27.2mm OD. If you keep an eye on eBay you'll likely be able to find a CG-R used, or even "new old stock."

I rode a CG-R on my Mk1 Diverges (plural because I broke 2 frames, current bike is 3rd frame under warranty) until last summer. There was some flex in the CG-R at the top of the post, and it was noticeably less "stiff" to ride than a road bike, but it didn't flex much and really served to remove "buzz" and soften smaller hits. I have since put a Terra on that bike, and my Mk3 Diverge also has one. I can honestly say the Terra has more compliance, and is more comfortable. But, it gets it's compliance by the post flexing back and down at the top ever so slightly, so as you've pointed out, if you have a frame where most of the post is inside the seat tube, it won't work. But, if you have a good amount of the post exposed (sorry I don't know the ideal exposed length), it will soak up the buzz and will definitely soften out the harsher bumps like seams and crack in the pavement, and in my experience it helps some on cobblestones.

Last edited by Badger6; 04-18-21 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For Badger6: