Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 08:14 AM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Just picked a very lightly used 2021 FX1 at a bargain price. I’ve got a Verve 3 that I love but I was looking for a “different” kind of workout. After a couple rides on the FX1, I clearly notice the difference. I’m going to drop a water cage on it, and upgrade to the Bontrager Satellite IsoZone Grips. I do have Bontrager Ion 200 lights that I can flip flop between bikes. Question: any other upgrades I may want to consider for my FX1? Thanks

Last edited by uriwvu; 01-04-21 at 09:03 AM.
Likes For uriwvu:
Old 01-04-21, 09:18 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by uriwvu
Question: any other upgrades I may want to consider for my FX1? Thanks
A better question to ask would be this: any other bike I may want to consider upgrading to in a year's time? (FX or otherwise.) While there's nothing wrong with the this FX1, you'll soon find yourself wanting for more and better things.

With that being said, if you're planning to stick with flat pedals, I'd start with ditching those mickey mouse resin pedals for a pair of VP-196 or something similar. They won't make you any faster, but you will feel the difference.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read somewhere on this forum that Isozone grips don't work very well on anything other than Isozone handlebars. If that's the case, you might want to look at XR Endurance Elites or something from Ergon.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 01-14-21 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-04-21, 09:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Check with a Trek dealer, but I think the FX models use a proprietary bar and grips. So you may need to replace the handlebar in order to use different grips.
Old 01-04-21, 01:30 PM
uriwvu

Bikes: Old: 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 1974 Raleigh 3 Speed, 1978 Kabuki 10 speed, 1997 GT Ricochet. New: 2021Verve 3 Disc2021 Trek FX1

Appreciate the feedback. According to the sales rep at Trek, I could add the IsoZone grips to the current handlebars on the FX1, but I wouldn't get the "full benefit" had the grips been pared with the handlebars they are designed for. As such, I'll ride as is. If I really like the FX, I can sell the FX1 at a later date, and upgrade to the FX3. No need to piecemeal upgrades now.
Old 01-05-21, 05:10 AM
CadenceBoy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey, that FX looks brand new

Regarding grips, I'd upgrade the contact points if necessary.
I see those iso grips are 40$, that insane imo... you can get decent ergo grips for ~15$, atleast here in EU.
They'll be some noname brand but it doesn't matter... you can ask here for ppls opinion if you find some.

Other upgrades except contact points... maybe the tires, if they're really heavy, more than 600-650gr.
When you change 2x700gr tires for 2x 350gr tires the difference in acceleration is obvious.

As was stated larger upgrades aren't really worth it, you'd have to put too much $$ in and it doesn't make sense.
Likes For CadenceBoy:
Old 01-05-21, 05:53 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'd agree with Shady who also posted a response to you. Grips and pedals would be first. I'd add toe clips, also, to keep your feet properly positioned on the pedals. Stock trek seats are generally tossed because they are bone crushers. Consider bar ends. After a while, consider how upright you actually want to be. Consider dumping that bent steel bar for a real flat bar. Decide how wide you want the bars to be. A hacksaw can be your friend. Get a bike bag and make sure you kit out with a spare tube, puncture patch, multitool, and.... band aids. If you are going to ride any distance at all, make it not one but two bottle cages.

Assuming the freewheel is stock, and assuming you aren't going to be rockhopping with the bike, I found that 34 tooth bailout cog in the rear to be completely useless. With some time, you might decide that you could use different gearing. You CAN change the freewheel out with a different one. I went to a 13-25, and when that wore out, a 14-28. Don't know if I like one over the other, but either are completely better than the stock freewheel.

When it becomes time to replace the tires (they are the cheapest bontragers they make), get hardcases - or another brand's kevlar lined tire. Flats are not fun.

You won't be able to lighten the bike (I have an FX 7.0 - which frankly, is the same bike, but a couple of years older), but you can, indeed, make it one that you won't be completely unhappy with for a while. For not a lot of additional $.
Likes For raymellott:
Old 01-05-21, 09:10 AM
uriwvu

Originally Posted by CadenceBoy
Hey, that FX looks brand new

Regarding grips, I'd upgrade the contact points if necessary.
I see those iso grips are 40$, that insane imo... you can get decent ergo grips for ~15$, atleast here in EU.
They'll be some noname brand but it doesn't matter... you can ask here for ppls opinion if you find some.

Other upgrades except contact points... maybe the tires, if they're really heavy, more than 600-650gr.
When you change 2x700gr tires for 2x 350gr tires the difference in acceleration is obvious.

As was stated larger upgrades aren't really worth it, you'd have to put too much $$ in and it doesn't make sense.
Original owner put no more than 5-6 hours on it. So it is brand new, and with the price he accepted, I couldn't turn it down.
Likes For uriwvu:
Old 01-10-21, 08:07 PM
trainchaser

Bikes: my bikes: Old: 1965 Schwinn 10 speed, 72 Monshee 12 speed, 77 Norco 12 speed, 95 Trek 850, two Specialized Crosstrails, 2016 Specialized carbon Sirrus. New 2020 Trek FX1

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I have a 2020 FX1 disc, I was looking for a FX3 disc but they were sold out so I settled for the FX1 with the thought that it will do the job until I upgrade - at this point in time my plan now is to wait until the FX4 disc is available. Anyway, I had the dealer swap out the stock grips and pedals for Ergon GP1 grips and Shimano SPD-421 Clickr dual purpose pedals which allow me to clip in or wear ordinary shoes on the flat side of the pedal. I tried 4 different saddles until I found the one that worked - you will have to do the same if you're not happy with the stock saddle.
I had a rear rack and fenders installed as well. The stock tires are doing the job but will be replaced at some time in the near future, just not sure which brand at this point. This setup is what I'm using to commute to and from work and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I really like the frame design of the FX series and still plan on getting the FX4 disc when it is available as it has a much higher quality drivetrain along with hydraulic discs. Hope this helps...
Likes For trainchaser:
Old 01-14-21, 02:54 PM
uriwvu

Update: I've had the FX1 for a couple weeks now (just under 70 miles) and so far I'm surprised that I like the more "aggressive" posture/geometry of the FX1 than the more relaxed Verve 3 - and I wasn't expecting that. Additionally the lighter FX is easier to mount than the Verve 3, though I'm not sure why (geometry of the frame again?), but a key benefit when you're a week away from turning 58. Also over the past year with my Verve I have discovered that I'm more of a "fitness" rider than a recreational rider.

As for the contact points, I actually like the stock seat (Bontrager Sport) so far as compared to the Bontrager Boulevard on the Verve. With the Verve seat it felt like I was constantly changing my position. The Trek rep said that the sport seat likely feels better due to smaller contact area. The stock grips are ok, my hands feel fine, but I do feel the work/strain on my shoulders and biceps much more on the FX than I did riding the Verve. As for the pedals, I don't feel any issues yet, though that could change with longer rides. (my winter rides are shorter in duration than they will be come spring).

In short, I like the FX better than the Verve, and it appears to be my bike of choice. That being the case, my initial thoughts (prior to riding) were to sell the FX1 (purchased for $300) and pick up an FX3. But now I'm wondering whether the FX3 upgrades are really worth the extra $586 (after taxes)? Keep in mind that majority of my rides will be of the 45 min - 2 hour duration. Conversely, I should make a small profit selling the FX1 should I decide to upgrade. Thoughts?

Last edited by uriwvu; 01-14-21 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 03:19 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
" I like the FX better than the Verve, and it appears to be my bike of choice. That being the case, my initial thoughts (prior to riding) were to sell the FX1 (purchased for $300) and pick up an FX3. But now I'm wondering whether the FX3 upgrades are really worth the extra $586 (after taxes)? Keep in mind that majority of my rides will be of the 45 min - 2 hour duration. Conversely, I should make a small profit selling the FX1 should I decide to upgrade. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you were unhappy with your FX1, I don't see any reason to replace it. The FX3 does have disc brakes, but nothing wrong with "v-brakes". If they're working well, leave 'em alone. If not, get some Kool-Stop pads (like the salmon ones myself). Derailleurs can always be easily upgraded if you find the shifting not to be to your liking. But if they're working, why bother? Short version-if you like the bike and it's performing good for you, don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Ride it, enjoy, when something wears out, or isn't working as well as you'd like, try adjusting, and if that doesn't work, upgrade the part. ENJOY!!

Last edited by freeranger; 01-14-21 at 05:14 PM.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 01-14-21, 05:22 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

What freeranger said, plus... you may want to keep in mind that with the bicycle/component industry and supply chains being in such a state of chaos and disarray, the last thing you and anyone else need right now is to fret over availability, pricing, and delivery. Retailers are asking - and most likely getting - MSRP prices (and most likely above,) there aren't many deals to be had, and "out of stock" has become the norm.

So you might want to hold off on considering an FX3 (or any other article, for that matter) that you're very likely to be charged full MSRP for after a long wait - assuming you could even find one in your size at this time without ending up on some retailer's waiting list. Just give yourself a year on your FX1 and ride the living daylights out of it while this dystopia blows over.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 01-14-21, 08:26 PM
uriwvu

Makes perfect sense - enjoy it, and upgrade only if needed, and the time is right. Thanks
Old 01-24-21, 07:16 AM
Masonchat

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Hi please advise trek 7.2fx upgrade

Hi I'm new here 🖐 and my question is exactly the same , I have 17.5" trek 7.2fx for 3 years ,love the 24 gearsI ove this bike , it's the best bike I've ever had, I bespoke the handle bars to keep more upright as I suffer bab with neck if leaning forward for long periods, anyway
I'm really itching for an upgrade, I'd love the new trek fx sport 6 but in reality it's way out of my budget.
I have been looking at the fx3 disc come in at around 900 euro.
the upgrades I see on fx3 disc are obviously the discs which I'd like , gold rather than silver aluminium frame with carbon fork , I must add the 7.2 I got from friend so frame is too small for me but I raised saddle and handle bars way up.
So what are your opinion s is the upgrade worth it , advice much appreciated , sadly I cant yet upload pics
Old 01-24-21, 07:39 AM
uriwvu

From almost everyone I’ve spoken to, including Trek reps, the FX 3 gives you the best bang for your buck. Disc breaks, carbon fork, better drivetrain, better tires, isozone bars and grips, etc and it doesn’t break the bank nearly as much as the FX Sport series does.
Old 01-24-21, 09:57 PM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek FX 7.9 FS

Tried to post in the marketplace but I don’t have privileges to do so (maybe not enough posts or because I haven’t logged in for awhile)

link to my eBay listing :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trek-FX-7-9...gAAOSwLlVgCbxA
Old 01-25-21, 10:01 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
RedRockRider the classifieds section requires a paid membership to BikeForums, to help support the site financially (will show with a yellow jersey icon after your user name to the left of your post). I'm pretty sure classified listings, or links to personal for-sale ads, are discouraged outside the classifieds section.
Old 01-27-21, 11:11 PM
RedRockRider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
RedRockRider the classifieds section requires a paid membership to BikeForums, to help support the site financially (will show with a yellow jersey icon after your user name to the left of your post). I'm pretty sure classified listings, or links to personal for-sale ads, are discouraged outside the classifieds section.
ahhhh sorry, my bad

not on the site much at all (it’s literally been years) so the paid membership isn’t a good option for me.

The bike sold locally this Monday afternoon off a Craigslist post.
Likes For RedRockRider:
Old 03-01-21, 11:28 AM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hi all:
Went shopping at one of the two local Trek stores over the weekend. I had a few shekels available and thought about upgrading from my current primary bike (1998 Specialized Crossroads).
I was thinking of an FX3 - for the carbon fork. Long story short, came home with a new FX 2 Disc, blue.

Rides great. Oh, the disc brakes WORK!!! hahaha
I should have checked the gearing, they seem to need a little fine tuning. I'll get that working this week.

I felt a little proned out for my liking - I'll be more comfortable with a little more upright position.
I adjusted the seat a little to move forward and it felt good just doing a quick loop up and down the street.
If I need a little more, I may be looking at a different stem.

Just wanted to share the new ride... Cheers!

Looking forward to getting it squared away and becoming the new primary in the stable - but the Specialized will get use. It's been my companion since bought new.
Old 03-01-21, 12:16 PM
TrekWarMachine

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! The 'Blue Alpine' color is nice! I debated between the FX 2 and 3 as well, but ended up getting the 3 (Rage Red). I will post a pic after I have 10 posts.
Old 03-01-21, 12:19 PM
TrekWarMachine

My sister just upgraded her bike as well and got a FX 3 Disc in Magenta.
Old 03-01-21, 12:27 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by Cmichini
Hi all:
Went shopping at one of the two local Trek stores over the weekend. I had a few shekels available and thought about upgrading from my current primary bike (1998 Specialized Crossroads).
I was thinking of an FX3 - for the carbon fork. Long story short, came home with a new FX 2 Disc, blue.

Rides great. Oh, the disc brakes WORK!!! hahaha
I should have checked the gearing, they seem to need a little fine tuning. I'll get that working this week.

I felt a little proned out for my liking - I'll be more comfortable with a little more upright position.
I adjusted the seat a little to move forward and it felt good just doing a quick loop up and down the street.
If I need a little more, I may be looking at a different stem.

Just wanted to share the new ride... Cheers!

Looking forward to getting it squared away and becoming the new primary in the stable - but the Specialized will get use. It's been my companion since bought new.
I also just got the fx 2 a few weeks ago and also debated between the fx 3 , the fx2 has grown on me with every ride what a bike, gears did need a tweak, I think the blue is stunning but ended up with the gravel , that two has grown on me , have it sexed up now with mudguards and snazzy pedals, I'll post pic if I can, anyway enjoy the cycling it's a great bike
Old 03-01-21, 01:54 PM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine
My sister just upgraded her bike as well and got a FX 3 Disc in Magenta.
will I ever have 10 posts so i can post a photo 😔
Old 03-02-21, 05:04 PM
TrekWarMachine

2021 Trek FX 3 Disc (Large - Rage Red)
Likes For TrekWarMachine:
Old 03-02-21, 10:34 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That is correct; 2016 was the last year for the 7.x FX and 8.x DS.

2017 went to FX 1, FX 2, and DS 1, DS 2, etc.

Trek's archives website is pretty helpful here: https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017
2017 is the last model year on the site. How come they haven't updated it since then?
Old 03-03-21, 02:48 AM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
2017 is the last model year on the site. How come they haven't updated it since then?
I had the 7.2fx before getting the fx 2 and it was the fx3 I initially wanted but decided the extra wasnt worth it , I know many will disagree, but the fx2 has same gearing as 7.2 fx 3x8 which I like and one of the reasons I'm glad I went with fx2 as opposed fx3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.