Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scored a 1999 Bianchi Campione (near mint)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Scored a 1999 Bianchi Campione (near mint)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 08:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
a traditional bend bar would look better
Well this bar will get it's chance to prove itself. But normally I do prefer either the Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64 or the Nitto Noodle. Both as 42 cm bars.
Old 10-23-16, 08:15 PM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Very, very nice. But I am puzzled. Were the Campy lower level groupsets equipped with hidden cables for both brakes and shifters that long ago?
Always have been, since they switched to Ergo style in the early 90s. Even Avanti/Mirage level stuff.
Old 10-23-16, 08:45 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Very, very nice. But I am puzzled. Were the Campy lower level groupsets equipped with hidden cables for both brakes and shifters that long ago?
I guess so, but I'm no Campagnolo expert. I know this bike is equipped stock per Bikepedia except for the saddle. I just haven't been able find copy of a 1999 catalog that's big enough to actually read to get in-depth info on the bike.
Old 10-24-16, 02:47 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
I haven't seen that many Bianchi's in this colour! But it looks
Old 10-30-16, 09:16 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Oh yeah, definitely steel. However, since it's welded from tubing rather than being a cast chunk of metal, it may not be as much heavier than an aluminum stem of the same size as you'd think. Might be stiffer, too. Doesn't win any beauty awards, though.
Yeah, it just looks out of place. If I wind up keeping this and go to my normal 42cm bars I'll swap out the stem at the same time.
Old 10-30-16, 09:22 AM
jamesdak 

If anyone can hook me up with a catalog scan from this year I'd really appreciate it. Found it online but the images are too small to even read. Trying to find frame geometry and such on this.

I also find comments about the frame being the same as the higher end ones from that year but nothing official to validate that. I'd be surprised if this is true as the components on this model must be pretty heavy then as the bike sure isn't light.
Old 10-30-16, 03:20 PM
Bumnah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gorgeous bike!
Old 10-30-16, 04:50 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
If anyone can hook me up with a catalog scan from this year I'd really appreciate it. Found it online but the images are too small to even read. Trying to find frame geometry and such on this.

I also find comments about the frame being the same as the higher end ones from that year but nothing official to validate that. I'd be surprised if this is true as the components on this model must be pretty heavy then as the bike sure isn't light.
Bianchi bucked the lightweight trend throughout this period. Almost as a protest effort they went out of their way to build heavy steel frames. I would never have an old steel Bianchi for that reason.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-30-16, 06:09 PM
jamesdak 

Bianchi bucked the lightweight trend throughout this period. Almost as a protest effort they went out of their way to build heavy steel frames. I would never have an old steel Bianchi for that reason.
You might want to rethink that. I just put 50 miles on the bike and they were 50 very comfortable miles. The bike absorbed the roughness of our terrible chipseal roads with ease. This despite being on the original tires that are smaller than I normally run. So I ran them at 15 psi more than my norm to play it safe.

The bike was smooth, stable on the straights and yet eager in the turns. Maybe Bianchi knew something...

I honestly am not one to care too much about weight except for climbing rides. My other "heavy" steel bike is the Greg LeMond Ventoux which is a favorite for century rides and the one I've actually posted the fastest of my centuries on.
Old 10-30-16, 06:21 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

You might want to rethink that. I just put 50 miles on the bike and they were 50 very comfortable miles. The bike absorbed the roughness of our terrible chipseal roads with ease. This despite being on the original tires that are smaller than I normally run. So I ran them at 15 psi more than my norm to play it safe.

The bike was smooth, stable on the straights and yet eager in the turns. Maybe Bianchi knew something...

I honestly am not one to care too much about weight except for climbing rides. My other "heavy" steel bike is the Greg LeMond Ventoux which is a favorite for century rides and the one I've actually posted the fastest of my centuries on.
Yeah, but the Richey Logic frame with Ritchey carbon fork rides better than any other steel bike I have ever known at nearly 2 lb less than an old Bianchi. If Bianchi knew something, apparently some other folks do too.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-30-16, 06:36 PM
jamesdak 

Yeah, but the Richey Logic frame with Ritchey carbon fork rides better than any other steel bike I have ever known at nearly 2 lb less than an old Bianchi. If Bianchi knew something, apparently some other folks do too.
LOL, and my Giordana XL super is 4 and 1/2 pounds lighter too. WITH a steel fork. It rides great too and is very comfortable. It's even lighter than my LeMond Tourmelet with it's CF fork. Makes me wonder what I could have gotten the Giordana to weigh with more money spent on the build.

I saw my first Ritchey bike last weekend up here. Older fella with a white one passed my in the opposite direction twice as I was knocking out laps on the back roads. Looked pretty sweet but I wish I had turned around and talked to the guy for awhile.
Old 10-30-16, 06:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Best thing about old steel frames is they are perfectly suited for cutting in half and putting back together with S&S couplings. They make great travel bikes.

But OTOH the Ritchey Breakaway is tough to beat. First world problems. Gotta love 'em.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 11-04-16, 10:17 AM
jamesdak 

Well, I got a few rides in on this and it's really comfortable. But, each ride was at a really slow pace for me. So slow I was wondering if I was sick. Then yesterday I took out my old Schwinn Prologue and was back up to speed. The same 30 mile route I struggled to maintain a 17.2 mpg avg on with the Campione was knocked out easily on the Schwinn at 19.9 mph avg.

So this morning I took the wheels back off the Bianchi and mounted on a new set of Conti GP4000s II tires, size 700 x 25 like on most of my other rides. That takes tire differences out of the equation. But while doing that I noticed just how heavy these CXP-21 wheels really are. That and some drag on the front hub. So, I think a lot of the reason it's not holding speed is the heavy wheels. I'll see about that when my new Zonda's get it. I imagine they drop over a lb of rotating mass of the wheels.

Here's a pic of the bike this morning sorted out with the new tires.

I like how comfortable it is but not how much effort it takes to maintain speed. Comfort is great for my long rides but not if it cost so much energy keeping it going.

I know it's not an issue with the total weight as I have heavier bikes I can carry more speed on. It's got to be the heavy wheels and maybe some resistance still in the hubs and such. Those old tires may have cost some too...
Old 11-04-16, 11:39 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
As I suspected, the stem on this is steel. As I sort out the fit a nice light Cinelli will be going on it I believe.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Oh yeah, definitely steel. However, since it's welded from tubing rather than being a cast chunk of metal, it may not be as much heavier than an aluminum stem of the same size as you'd think. Might be stiffer, too. Doesn't win any beauty awards, though.
Maybe you just need a nicer steel one.

I dumped my Cinelli when Ritchey came out with their Force cro-mo stem (made by Nitto).

The Ritchey was a bit lighter but what I really liked was how much stiffer it was; never could get comfortable with how much the Chinelli would flex when I was cranking hard...
Old 11-04-16, 08:46 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Maybe you just need a nicer steel one.

I dumped my Cinelli when Ritchey came out with their Force cro-mo stem (made by Nitto).

The Ritchey was a bit lighter but what I really liked was how much stiffer it was; never could get comfortable with how much the Chinelli would flex when I was cranking hard...
I must be a weakling, can't say I've ever felt a stem flex....
Old 11-07-16, 04:19 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I must be a weakling, can't say I've ever felt a stem flex....
I rode a 130, might make a difference...
Old 11-18-16, 08:06 PM
jamesdak 

Well, just an update on this. Swapped on a lighter set of Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels shod with GP 4000s II 700 x 25c and some basic Look Keo pedals as well as adding on a heavier Brooks Cambium and the bike now weighs in at 22 lbs 1 oz, down from the original 23 lbs 12 ozs. That's a lot of weight off the one place it will really matter, the wheels. I'll get this out again tomorrow and see how it feels.

Those original wheels had some serious weight to them, The original front wheel was 2 lbs 2 ozs with the skewer and the rear was 2 lbs 10z with the skewer.

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-19-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 06:57 PM
jamesdak 

Well, just got done putting a little over 70 miles on the bike. The old wheels definitely were holding this bike back. Be it the weight or whatever they just kept making this bike feel sluggish. Today it was a different beast, lively and on par with most of my other faster rides. I struggle to hold speed with this one on the past rides but today a ran a much higher average than ever on this and even ran one segment of around 9 miles keeping the speed up in the lower 20s. Before I just couldn't hold speed with this one. Very happy with how it is now, comfortable and fast.
Old 11-20-16, 04:00 PM
qwksti

Bikes: litespeed C1R, GT GRADE carbon

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice bike, even though its a 1999, compared to the bikes we have now, this one looks like its from 1975. but i love the color. great find.
Old 11-20-16, 10:38 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by qwksti
nice bike, even though its a 1999, compared to the bikes we have now, this one looks like its from 1975. but i love the color. great find.
Rides as well as several of my vintages steel bikes
Old 11-20-16, 10:57 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet you're still really ecstatic about finding this bike, so much that you're probably thinking about it even when going to bed. I almost know the feeling.
Old 11-22-16, 09:51 AM
1joel1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Beautiful ride!
Old 11-25-16, 10:37 AM
Keith Richards

Bikes: Cervelo R3 & S2, BMC SLC01, Pinarello DogmaK, Trek USPS, Wilier Imperiale and Lemond

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great find! I have 2 sets of Fulcrum 3's that I trade around on my bikes, has to be one of the best riding wheels for the money out there.
Old 11-25-16, 10:47 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
That is a good-looking Bianchi, and I'm not surprised to hear putting newer components on it makes it such a nice rider. I honestly think late 90's - early 00's bikes are very underappreciated.
Old 11-25-16, 08:39 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Keith Richards
What a great find! I have 2 sets of Fulcrum 3's that I trade around on my bikes, has to be one of the best riding wheels for the money out there.
Yep, especially if you get them at a good price from one of the UK sites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.