Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Which 2021 race will be the first to go off on schedule?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: First to go on schedule
Down under
20.00%
One of the big middle east races
30.00%
La primavera
0%
Die Ronde and/or Roubaix
20.00%
LBL
0%
Giro
0%
TdF
20.00%
Vuelta
0%
Lombardia
10.00%
None of them
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-20, 01:30 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts

I saw the UCI put out a 2021 calendar that looks normal, i.e. ambitious. Fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath that it's not simply a rough draft from which to depart as we continue to pandemic.

I put some of the big raced in a poll. Tick the one you think (not hope) and would lay money on that it will be the first one to happen in its normal time time slot.

P.S. I can't seem to edit the poll to fix the typo, or Freudian slip, amidst the hellingen.

Last edited by slcbob; 11-19-20 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 02:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
someone had some free time...personally? still destroyed from the compressed schedd in sept/oct. omfg.

something tells me i'll be digging into my old wcp dvd's this winter to watch the '98 giro, '02 vuelta and '08 tdf...again.

Last edited by diphthong; 11-19-20 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-19-20, 02:21 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Not much free time. But a lot more now that we're past Biketoberfest / UCIchella / Raceapalooza. Just catching my breath.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 11-19-20, 02:29 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by slcbob
Not much free time. But a lot more now that we're past Biketoberfest / UCIchella / Raceapalooza. Just catching my breath.
right?! 2021 w or w/o covid zaniness should be a phenomenal year for the young guns.
Old 11-19-20, 03:31 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Yes. Preferably w/o.

Not to be old Glum, but hoping there is a 2021.

I'm still waiting to vote in my own poll. I think the spring will be derailed. I'm cautiously optimistic the fall can happen and am inclined to vote for Lombardia, but I think the falling leaves may be swept aside in the calendar re-jiggling so am leaning to none of the above.
Old 11-20-20, 07:55 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Tour Down Under has already been cancelled...
Old 11-20-20, 09:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wouldn't bet on any 2021 European race going off on schedule. Unless the vaccines currently in development show remarkable efficacy without significant side effects very soon it's likely the organizers will plan on bumping every race a few months later to be better ready.

I'm still surprised by how smoothly the Giro, TdF and Vuelta went off in 2020, considering the last minute prep. With that kind of experience under their belts, perhaps the organizers will delay any decisions until a few weeks before the usual starts for those races and hope for sticking with the traditional schedules.

It may be harder on the cyclists than on the organizers. But that's part of what made 2020 so exciting.
Old 11-21-20, 04:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by canklecat
I wouldn't bet on any 2021 European race going off on schedule. Unless the vaccines currently in development show remarkable efficacy without significant side effects very soon it's likely the organizers will plan on bumping every race a few months later to be better ready.

I'm still surprised by how smoothly the Giro, TdF and Vuelta went off in 2020, considering the last minute prep. With that kind of experience under their belts, perhaps the organizers will delay any decisions until a few weeks before the usual starts for those races and hope for sticking with the traditional schedules.

It may be harder on the cyclists than on the organizers. But that's part of what made 2020 so exciting.
frankly, i'm shocked all three gt's went the distance (with the vuelta being 3 days/stages shorter than usual).
there were some issues-obviously-but they seemed to generally do a great job at managing rider/race safety
re: the pandemic. the actual course, aggressive motorcycles, cars out for a larkabout on the closed course, etc
was the usual.
Old 11-21-20, 02:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
frankly, i'm shocked all three gt's went the distance (with the vuelta being 3 days/stages shorter than usual).
there were some issues-obviously-but they seemed to generally do a great job at managing rider/race safety
re: the pandemic. the actual course, aggressive motorcycles, cars out for a larkabout on the closed course, etc
was the usual.
If I'm recalling correctly there were only a few significant glitches. Some folks behind the scenes at the Giro complained about lack of precautions -- no masks, etc. -- in common indoor spaces. Some folks ended up testing positive and had to withdraw. That surprised me because Italy was hit hard in the springtime.

There were probably other problems we haven't heard about yet because the teams don't want to alienate their hosts. Eventually we'll hear more, especially after participants are set for 2021. The racers and crews who don't participate will probably feel free to air some grievances about the 2020 races.

But overall things seem to go remarkably well. Although I wonder how much of a revenue hit the sponsors and organizers took. The hospitality industry along the grand tours this year probably suffered from the sparse attendees.
Old 11-22-20, 02:10 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by canklecat
If I'm recalling correctly there were only a few significant glitches. Some folks behind the scenes at the Giro complained about lack of precautions -- no masks, etc. -- in common indoor spaces. Some folks ended up testing positive and had to withdraw. That surprised me because Italy was hit hard in the springtime.

There were probably other problems we haven't heard about yet because the teams don't want to alienate their hosts. Eventually we'll hear more, especially after participants are set for 2021. The racers and crews who don't participate will probably feel free to air some grievances about the 2020 races.

But overall things seem to go remarkably well. Although I wonder how much of a revenue hit the sponsors and organizers took. The hospitality industry along the grand tours this year probably suffered from the sparse attendees.
went as well as could have been expected w/o cancellation(s) during the races. i mean, with the pandemic hovering over every day, every stage...

everyone's taking a big hit this year. the sponsors. hospitality. the ice cream cart guy halfway up the last climb on stage 13. tv/journalism. advertisers. organizers. riding packages.
airlines. rental cars. the towns that successfully bid for starts/finishes...