Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

UCI road safety measures for 2021

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 12-11-20, 12:30 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts

Just came across this article in Cycling News
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci...sures-in-2021/

The new safety measures are listed at the end of article in bulleted list. They are mostly quite general, not saying much about specifics, but one caught my eye.
  • stronger regulations concerning potentially dangerous conduct of riders, such as (...) taking up dangerous positions on the bike (especially in descents);

Perfect example of getting a carebears commission work on safety measures, they won't stop at some barriers in finish space. More likely, those barriers will receive inadequate treatment, while they will go after other 'safety measures', to show activity and that something is being done.

I was in favor for some change regarding safety barriers when the sprinting accident that happened in Poland was discussed here. But it seems, and as usual, the safety bears would jump at the opportunity to crack on the sport to make it much more dull.

Earlier in that article, the crash during decent is cited "Remco Evenepoel fractured his pelvis after crashing over a low wall on a difficult descent at Il Lombardia" which should have nothing to do with some lack of safety measures. Else we can take cycling races only to artificial race courses, somewhat like F1 races are run (if I overdo it). For example, downhill skiing in world cup can have safety nets in important corners but I just can't see something ensuring safety on downhills in bike racing.

If you are overeager and take risks on descents, that's your own problem, and suck it up (unless the crash is caused by something like oil spill in a turn, that is something that normally should not be there).

Last edited by vane171; 12-11-20 at 12:46 PM.