Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How Many Calories/Carbs Do I Really Need?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How Many Calories/Carbs Do I Really Need?

Old 01-21-21, 04:38 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
I've been following some of the nutrition & hydration threads and have found them informative. However, I don't see much discussion about hydration & nutrition needs for rides of varying intensities. For example, do I really need 60-90g carbs/hr. if I'm spending most of my time in Zone 2 (heart rate)? IMO, I don't believe I do; but I'm not a nutrition expert and I always try to tie my training decisions to some credible research. Along those lines I found a couple of sources with some very interesting information.

#1 - The first source is here: https://www.evoq.bike/blog/cycling-nutrition
For me this blog is all over the place. Does the author not know that lentils are legumes? Why list lentils and then legumes? Also not sure that I would list Tofu as a fat, although I guess there is some fats in it.

I found the shopping list pretty uninspired (i.e. boring). I think it should include a lot more legumes, eggplants, squash, beets, turnips, artichokes, and cauliflower, shallots, leeks, asparagus. You can’t get all your vegetables from chip dips.

As for carbo loading, I think this is an idea that such needs to die. If you follow a good eating plan on the bike it doesn’t help your performance much. It’s a 1960’s idea that has lasted too long. I haven’t carbo loaded since the 20th century. You’ll feel better starting a big ride ‘empty’ without eating a bunch the night before.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 01-21-21, 05:10 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
For me this blog is all over the place. Does the author not know that lentils are legumes? Why list lentils and then legumes? Also not sure that I would list Tofu as a fat, although I guess there is some fats in it.

I found the shopping list pretty uninspired (i.e. boring). I think it should include a lot more legumes, eggplants, squash, beets, turnips, artichokes, and cauliflower, shallots, leeks, asparagus. You can’t get all your vegetables from chip dips.

As for carbo loading, I think this is an idea that such needs to die. If you follow a good eating plan on the bike it doesn’t help your performance much. It’s a 1960’s idea that has lasted too long. I haven’t carbo loaded since the 20th century. You’ll feel better starting a big ride ‘empty’ without eating a bunch the night before.
Well, it's not completely dead: https://www.nsca.com/education/artic...drate-loading/
It's not the night before. But wow. I'm 67 kilos, so up to 700g carbs a day? 2800 Calories/day just in carbs and no exercise? How would one do that? My usual big ride breakfast is 400 Calories of my 7/1 malto/whey mix 3 hours before the ride.
Old 01-21-21, 05:30 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Calories required depends on conditioning and other factors as well. I rode the hardest and 2nd longest race on a PB and honey sandwich, a banana and 2 waterbottles of ERG (now called Vitalyte). But I also trained specifically for that race and did a full carbo-loading regime. (The race was 105 miles, ~5000' vertical and the (very small remaining) peloton finished under 3:58.) The 2 mile hill at mile 90 was the hardest thing I have ever done. Any food in my stomach would have come up.

Edit: re: carbo-loading and the previous post - yes, NOT the night before. I started 6 days earlier with a long hard ride. High protein, little carbs for 2 1/2 miserable days (with the usual training). Full complex carbos for a day and a half. 24 hours of rest (except for an easy spin or two), fruits, juice and water up to race time. I felt empty, clean and with fully stocked muscles at the start. Like a dialed-in racing machine.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-21-21 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 05:40 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I input all of the coefficients for the function variables, the answer was that I require a

Carl's Jr. ½ LB. Guacamole Bacon Thickburger

every ride:

Likes For grizzly59:
Old 01-22-21, 06:36 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
It seemed like he wanted to plug the blog and slowtwitch/a Pearl Izumi employee?

That's all I got out of the post. It's a bit of an odd thread. The thread title is how many carbs he needs, but there's zero background information from him or his situation except him questioning whether he needs a substantial amount of carbs on easy rides?

Maybe he doesn't really know, either.

Frankly, if you're not bonking, you probably don't need any more calories. And if you are, you do.

If you're getting fatter, you don't. If you're losing a lot of weight (and don't want to), you do.

It's a pretty elementary topic.
It's responses like this ^ that make me hate forums. rubiksoval is off on some weird tangent complaining about his belief that I'm trying to plug somebody's business. WTF???!!! Do you actually have anything to say about the CONTENT in that link? Obviously not.
Old 01-22-21, 06:54 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
It's responses like this ^ that make me hate forums. rubiksoval is off on some weird tangent complaining about his belief that I'm trying to plug somebody's business. WTF???!!! Do you actually have anything to say about the CONTENT in that link? Obviously not.
I don’t think anyone understood what your message was. It appeared to be that you believe you didn’t need to intake cards while riding easy. You talked about reading credible research and instead posted a blog and discussion forum which might be interesting but could hardly be classed as research. Neither of the links supported your position and both recommended taking in carbs while doing rides over 2hrs. Rubik provided basic common sense guidance so what’s left to discuss?
Old 01-22-21, 06:57 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by Iride01
When threads stray from their creator's intention early, I feel it's because the creator (OP) didn't ever materially discuss anything.
This ^ is totally fair. Admittedly, I made the topic pretty broad. However, the topic was/is "How Many Calories/Carbs Do I Really Need"? The links posted (IMO) answer that question very well. In combination they provide the tools/info to figure out how many calories/carbs you need for a ride of a certain length and intensity. There is no single magical answer for this question.

Telling someone they need 60g carbs/hr. (for example) as a generic "one size fits all" recommendation is ridiculous; and that's mostly what I see in the other discussions, generic recommendations without any/much context for other folks who may not have similar nutritional needs based on their specific riding style, goals, etc. So if your riding style and goals are different from mine your "fueling requirements" are probably different as well.

From my persepctive I'd much rather learn to fish than have someone give me a fish (especially if it's not the right fish for my needs). The info in the links taught me something so I could figure things out on my own. If you're someone who's trying to figure things out and are willing to take a few minutes to investigate the links I think you'll find it very helpful. I did. It's just helpful info to help you help yourself... nothing more, nothing less.
Old 01-22-21, 06:59 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Oh, well.

Maybe be clearer in your discussion attempts? Or maybe explain why you think blogs count as research, and if so, why you chose this blog in particular? Or that particular person on slowtwitch?

That's what makes no sense. Sources matter as much as content. That's how you know the content is credible (if it's even applicable to a particular situation in the first place).

I've already posted about the content of the blog. It's one person's thoughts on something he read. It's not applicable to me, and it's superfluous to most anyone who's ever practiced eating before in their lives.

Again, if you're bonking, eat more. If you're not, continue what you're doing.

What's your particular issue, again?
Old 01-22-21, 07:03 AM
rubiksoval

This ^ is totally fair. Admittedly, I made the topic pretty broad. However, the topic was/is "How Many Calories/Carbs Do I Really Need"? The links posted (IMO) answer that question very well. In combination they provide the tools/info to figure out how many calories/carbs you need for a ride of a certain length and intensity. There is no single magical answer for this question.

Telling someone they need 60g carbs/hr. (for example) as a generic "one size fits all" recommendation is ridiculous; and that's mostly what I see in the other discussions, generic recommendations without any/much context for other folks who may not have similar nutritional needs based on their specific riding style, goals, etc. So if your riding style and goals are different from mine your "fueling requirements" are probably different as well.

From my persepctive I'd much rather learn to fish than have someone give me a fish (especially if it's not the right fish for my needs). The info in the links taught me something so I could figure things out on my own. If you're someone who's trying to figure things out and are willing to take a few minutes to investigate the links I think you'll find it very helpful. I did. It's just helpful info to help you help yourself... nothing more, nothing less.
How many carbs does the fish have? Is it sufficient for your Z2 riding?

You make broad generalizations about other people making broad generalizations, and then try to combat said generalizations with blog links.

How many calories you need changes based on dozens of factors. Reading about it isn't going to solve any of your issues. Trying different things is. Help yourself by thinking about what you're doing and making systematic adjustments if change needs to be made. You know, self-learning?
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-22-21, 07:06 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Frankly, if you're not bonking, you probably don't need any more calories. And if you are, you do.

If you're getting fatter, you don't. If you're losing a lot of weight (and don't want to), you do.

It's a pretty elementary topic.
Originally Posted by gregf83
Rubik provided basic common sense guidance so what’s left to discuss?
I've copied rubiksoval 's "common sense guidance" above. Can you tell me how that "advice" can tangibly assist someone who is trying to figure out what amount of calories/carbs they might need for a ride of a specific length and intensity? You can't because there is no real value to his overly-generic statements. I certainly don't disagree with what he said, it's just not helpful as a baseline of knowledge.
Old 01-22-21, 07:15 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

How many calories you need changes based on dozens of factors. Reading about it isn't going to solve any of your issues. Trying different things is. Help yourself by thinking about what you're doing and making systematic adjustments if change needs to be made. You know, self-learning?
I agree! However, self learning starts with some assumptions and a plan. The goal is to develop a baseline of working knowledge to more efficiently figure out what works best for our our specific situation (casual rider to racer to endurance rider). The info in the links that I posted was very helpful to me in my quest to better understand what I need and why.

By comparison, the "common sense guide" that you posted doesn't provide any "actionable intelligence".
Old 01-22-21, 07:19 AM
gregf83 

I've copied rubiksoval 's "common sense guidance" above. Can you tell me how that "advice" can tangibly assist someone who is trying to figure out what amount of calories/carbs they might need for a ride of a specific length and intensity? You can't because there is no real value to his overly-generic statements. I certainly don't disagree with what he said, it's just not helpful as a baseline of knowledge.
Let’s apply the advice for someone going on a 3-4 hr zone 2 ride. Take some carbs but don’t eat any. If you’re feeling weak or your power is dropping towards the end of the ride, eat something. If you didn’t feel weak then you know you didn’t need to supplement at that pace for that duration.

The advice presumes one is riding regularly and willing to do some basic experimentation. It doesn’t have to be complicated.

If you’re unwilling to experiment you could follow the recommendations in the blog you posted and ingest 60-90g of carbs/hr.
Old 01-22-21, 07:23 AM
rubiksoval

I agree! However, self learning starts with some assumptions and a plan. The goal is to develop a baseline of working knowledge to more efficiently figure out what works best for our our specific situation (casual rider to racer to endurance rider). The info in the links that I posted was very helpful to me in my quest to better understand what I need and why.

By comparison, the "common sense guide" that you posted doesn't provide any "actionable intelligence".
If you don't eat on a two hour ride and bonk, then "actionable intelligence" would suggest that the next time you try a similar ride, you eat.

Do you really need to wade through pages and pages of a guy's blog to "develop a baseline of working knowledge" about that?

Think about what you're saying here, because it's starting to paint you as someone who A) can't think for themselves and B) can't independently try something without a random guy on the internet telling them to.

This is probably one of the least difficult concepts to grasp when it comes to going out and piddling around at an easy pace for a couple of hours, but you're trying to turn it into a dissertation defense.
Old 01-22-21, 07:30 AM
rubiksoval

You have a baseline of knowledge. It's called your entire life.

You figure out new things based on your experiences. This, too, is called your life. If new experiences necessitate different actions, then you experiment to figure out said different actions.

You've ridden a bike before, so use that knowledge and experience that you gained from doing said rides and apply it to future rides.

If you're truly that confused, just pay Brendon 400 bucks a month or something and I'm sure he'll write you out a plan that dictates every piece of fish you need to eat. He'll have to constantly adapt that plan, because, you know, experimenting...
Old 01-22-21, 07:42 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

If you don't eat on a two hour ride and bonk, then "actionable intelligence" would suggest that the next time you try a similar ride, you eat.

Do you really need to wade through pages and pages of a guy's blog to "develop a baseline of working knowledge" about that?

Think about what you're saying here, because it's starting to paint you as someone who A) can't think for themselves and B) can't independently try something without a random guy on the internet telling them to.

This is probably one of the least difficult concepts to grasp when it comes to going out and piddling around at an easy pace for a couple of hours, but you're trying to turn it into a dissertation defense.
You're painting yourself as a "know-it-all" who thinks everyone should just ignore data and "feel their way" through the process. Can that be done? Yes. Is it efficient? No! For folks who want to know more about what's behind the generic 60-90g carbs/hr. recommendation, can they benefit from the info in those links? Absolutely!

Thinking for yourself is not taking the generic advice of someone like yourself who likes to pontificate on the internet and act like a bully, it's about seeking out data and knowledge that can actually help further understanding and provide working knowledge.
Old 01-22-21, 07:57 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

You have a baseline of knowledge. It's called your entire life.

You figure out new things based on your experiences. This, too, is called your life. If new experiences necessitate different actions, then you experiment to figure out said different actions.

You've ridden a bike before, so use that knowledge and experience that you gained from doing said rides and apply it to future rides.

If you're truly that confused, just pay Brendon 400 bucks a month or something and I'm sure he'll write you out a plan that dictates every piece of fish you need to eat. He'll have to constantly adapt that plan, because, you know, experimenting...
I'm not confused. I just like to advance my knowledge and understanding so I can systematically work towards established goals. If I was just casually riding around the block at 10-12 mph for 10-20 miles at a time I wouldn't bee too concerned about what in my water bottle... other than water. But that's not what I'm doing.

If trial and error is your preferred method of learning that's fine. It is highly inefficient. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't generate consistent and reliable results. But if that's your comfort zone I wish you well.

Human kind has generated a ton of knowledge over the centuries. I prefer to leverage that knowledge, as I can read and comprehend and don't need to rely on a self-proclaimed "internet messiah" such as yourself telling me something that isn't even helpful.
Old 01-22-21, 07:57 AM
rubiksoval

You're painting yourself as a "know-it-all" who thinks everyone should just ignore data and "feel their way" through the process. Can that be done? Yes. Is it efficient? No! For folks who want to know more about what's behind the generic 60-90g carbs/hr. recommendation, can they benefit from the info in those links? Absolutely!

Thinking for yourself is not taking the generic advice of someone like yourself who likes to pontificate on the internet and act like a bully, it's about seeking out data and knowledge that can actually help further understanding and provide working knowledge.
Being a person that has both eaten before and ridden a bike before, I'm fairly confident in my ability to combine the two.

So you can't think for yourself if someone else says it's better to think for yourself? Gotcha. You're a regular paradox of independent learning.
Old 01-22-21, 07:59 AM
rubiksoval

I'm not confused. I just like to advance my knowledge and understanding so I can systematically work towards established goals. If I was just casually riding around the block at 10-12 mph for 10-20 miles at a time I wouldn't bee too concerned about what in my water bottle... other than water. But that's not what I'm doing.

If trial and error is your preferred method of learning that's fine. It is highly inefficient. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't generate consistent and reliable results. But if that's your comfort zone I wish you well.

Human kind has generated a ton of knowledge over the centuries. I prefer to leverage that knowledge, as I can read and comprehend and don't need to rely on a self-proclaimed "internet messiah" such as yourself telling me something that isn't even helpful.
If I wrote it in a blog, would that make you feel better? After all, I'm a cat 1, too. Apparently that's all that matters for "thoughts" to become research.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-22-21 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 08:05 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Say what you want about him, but rubik calls out the crap that various know-it-alls who have been training/riding for a only a hot minute come here and try to push on people. Frankly, if it weren't for folks like him, every dumb training/nutrition idea would get so much more traction around here. He knows his stuff and isn't afraid to call out the nonsense, I just don't have the patience to do that, but I try to be another voice when possible

Folks above have provided good advice. Yes there are general recommendations of 60-90g/carb per hour. Do I agree with that universally? No, especially since newer/casual cyclists attach themselves to that dogma when many burn <400 calories in an hour. I've said myself above that I've done 100 mile rides on 1100 calories, which I'm not sure on the grams/hr, but it was on the lower end. Depending on fitness, someone may burn more or fewer carbs at Z2. So the advice to kind of feel it out for yourself is sound, absent any type of lab testing where you can get some specific data on your own carb utilization at various intensities. Everyone is different, which is why feeling your way through is ultimately what needs to be done.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-22-21, 08:08 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

If I wrote it in a blog, would that make you feel better? After all, I'm a cat 1, too. Apparently that's all that matters for "thoughts" to become research.
If your blog post was linked to some actual research, yes. You seem to consistently ignore that little piece of info when commenting on the link I provided.

I'm happy to engage in a conversation/debate about the topic at hand, but it's impossible to have a real conversation with someone like yourself who just makes up their own facts and twists information.

You've obviously got it all figured out through trial and error and have no interest in discussing the content of either of those links. From what I can tell you're just here to throw stones. How is that of any assistance?
Likes For Cyclist0100:
Old 01-22-21, 08:15 AM
rubiksoval

If your blog post was linked to some actual research, yes. You seem to consistently ignore that little piece of info when commenting on the link I provided.

I'm happy to engage in a conversation/debate about the topic at hand, but it's impossible to have a real conversation with someone like yourself who just makes up their own facts and twists information.

You've obviously got it all figured out through trial and error and have no interest in discussing the content of either of those links. From what I can tell you're just here to throw stones. How is that of any assistance?
I can post links to lots of research. You seem to consistently ignore that googling, copying, and pasting doesn't make something credible or relevant.

You haven't engaged in any conversation at all. That's what multiple people have told you. All you've done is post blog links and voraciously defended them as being pertinent and useful under some guise of providing "learning". You still haven't said what exactly your issue is, why you think this learning is applicable in any way, or why you think it so paramount that you have a "plan" that must override your own experiences.

How is that of any assistance?
Old 01-22-21, 08:26 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Yes there are general recommendations of 60-90g/carb per hour. Do I agree with that universally? No, especially since newer/casual cyclists attach themselves to that dogma when many burn <400 calories in an hour. I've said myself above that I've done 100 mile rides on 1100 calories, which I'm not sure on the grams/hr, but it was on the lower end. Depending on fitness, someone may burn more or fewer carbs at Z2.
This ^ is one of the reasons I posted the info. Not necessarily for newer cyclists, but for anyone who wishes to better understand what's behind those generic recommendations so they can make informed decisions about their needs for their specific riding and goals.

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
So the advice to kind of feel it out for yourself is sound, absent any type of lab testing where you can get some specific data on your own carb utilization at various intensities. Everyone is different, which is why feeling your way through is ultimately what needs to be done.
Feeling things out for yourself is fine and appropriate when you already know what works and you just need to tweak things a little. Ignoring credible data, research and science in favor of "feeling things out for yourself" as a primary methodology for efficiently working towards goals is simply ignorant.

As one example of the results of "feeling your way through", we had a former president in the USA who operated in that manner and things didn't work out too well. 400,000+ dead and counting. Just sayin'.
Old 01-22-21, 08:34 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

I can post links to lots of research. You seem to consistently ignore that googling, copying, and pasting doesn't make something credible or relevant.

How is that of any assistance?
You are ignoring the fact that the blog post is based (at least in part) on this source: Bergstrom, J., Hermansen, L., Hultman, E., and Saltin, B. Diet, muscle glycogen and physical performance. Acta Physiol Scand. 71: 140-150, 1967.

I've pointed that out at least a couple of times, so I can only assume you are intentionally ignoring it.

Here's a link to the research: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5584523/

I know, too much reading and too many big words so I assume you will ignore this information as well.

Last edited by Cyclist0100; 01-22-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 09:34 AM
gregf83 

You are ignoring the fact that the blog post is based (at least in part) on this source: Bergstrom, J., Hermansen, L., Hultman, E., and Saltin, B. Diet, muscle glycogen and physical performance. Acta Physiol Scand. 71: 140-150, 1967.

I've pointed that out at least a couple of times, so I can only assume you are intentionally ignoring it.

Here's a link to the research: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5584523/

I know, too much reading and too many big words so I assume you will ignore this information as well.
Seriously? You’re quoting a 54yr old paper as your basis for research.
Old 01-22-21, 09:36 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

I've been following some of the nutrition & hydration threads and have found them informative. However, I don't see much discussion about hydration & nutrition needs for rides of varying intensities. For example, do I really need 60-90g carbs/hr. if I'm spending most of my time in Zone 2 (heart rate)? IMO, I don't believe I do; but I'm not a nutrition expert and I always try to tie my training decisions to some credible research. Along those lines I found a couple of sources with some very interesting information.

#1 - The first source is here: https://www.evoq.bike/blog/cycling-nutrition-guide

Source #2 is a forum post, but it is posted by a physiologist at Pearl Izumi. It goes into more detail about how to plan and calculate your need for fuel based on average power output.

#2 - The second source is here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S..._fat_P6571862/
For those who missed the intent of the OP I've placed the key topic in bold, underlined italics. The "for example" statement that follows is just that, an example. I'm not asking anyone how many calories/carbs I need in my water bottle because the info in the links provided helps me figure that out on my own. Others can do the same. It's empowering.

If you are in rubiksoval 's camp and think science is just fluff, something to be ignored because your own life experiences have taught you all you need to know, then this thread is not for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.