Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Bike swap mid-stage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 01:47 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Bike swap mid-stage

I was watching a rerun of some of the 2020 Vuelta the other night (on the Olympic channel I think). I didn’t watch much of it live back in Oct. They were showing stage 13 which was an ITT on a 33k course...with a Cat 3 climb for the last 2-3 miles to the finish. At the base of the mountain they had a designated exchange zone in which riders were switching from the TT bike to standard road bikes for the climb. I understand the necessity for the switch...but in all my years of watching stage races...I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. Is that something that’s done often?

Dan
Old 01-28-21, 04:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I don't remember if I've seen it before with my own eyes, but I think it's been done for other time trials where there was an unusually steep climb and it was expected many would be changing bikes. I don't think any of the the three grand tours have had a hill like that on a TT stage in the last five years or any memory of mine further back.

I think it's better that everyone know where chaos might be happening. Helps keep the rider closing from behind crashing because the rider he was closing on decided to change bikes where it wouldn't be expected.
Old 01-28-21, 07:30 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I thought it was a really good idea by the organizers, for a stage where most riders would be swapping. The teams had an incentive to use the bike swap area, since they didn't need to remove the bike from the car. It made it much easier for the commissars to set guidelines on how much a push you could give.
It also meant that the swap area could be wider and a better place to swap safely. The teams got the benefit of a faster swap.
Old 01-29-21, 01:34 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I've been watching pro cycling for many years and I've never seen it before. As for other tours, the TdF had a time trial up Alpe d'huez one year, but there wasn't a flat run up to it necessitating a bike change.
Old 01-31-21, 08:50 AM
.joeri.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the last TdF there was also a bike swap. Both Pogacar and Roglic changed bikes at the foot of the hill. Legendery TT-tdf edition!
Old 01-31-21, 11:16 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by .joeri.
In the last TdF there was also a bike swap. Both Pogacar and Roglic changed bikes at the foot of the hill. Legendery TT-tdf edition!
I’ve seen individual riders swap from/to bikes more conducive to the terrain ahead of them. But usually just a rider here or there, and no designated exchange zone. In this case, a ITT in the Vuelta, every rider was changing bikes, and there was s designated exchange zone marked with banners, and lines painted on the road. Once on the new bike, they could be pushed only to the end of the zone and no farther (otherwise a time penalty would be awarded I guess).

Dan
Old 01-31-21, 12:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
That last bit of the TT averaged 14% grade with a portion over 16%. It was a special thing you rarely see in TT's on grand tours or regular tours. I don't know when the last time a TT on a tour had that steep a segment, if they ever have before.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...today/profiles

But not everyone changed bikes. There still is a big performance penalty that must be overcome when changing a bike. And with newer derailleurs handling a wider range of gearing, it's becoming more easier for even a TT bike to do climbs.

I marvel now how people now even think it strange for a bike change on a regular stage when 15 or more years ago it was not an unusual thing to change bikes after being in the flats for the first part of a stage then use another on the mountain part of the same stage. Modern group sets have eliminated the need for a regular stage.