Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Velogames Superclasico 2021

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Velogames Superclasico 2021

Old 03-19-21, 01:43 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 445 Posts
I will co-sign the WVA prediction.

It will be interesting to watch how things evolve with DQS's double threat. The forecast headwinds tilt things slightly away from a JA attack and more to Bennett if he survives the Poggio; otherwise, I think it would be more of a JA kind of thing.

It would be great to see Gilbert pull off his 5th monument but I don't see it happening unless all of Lotto Soudal is allowed to get away on the Cipressa or before.

I'm pretty confident that if anyone outside of the big three win, it will be either Bling or Bennett. Or perhaps a Cinderella story.

I'm most confident of all that I don't know what I'm talking about and looking forward to watching the race demonstrate that magnificently. Again, Happy Spring everyone.
Old 03-19-21, 08:46 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
in a straight up finish at msr-no. if it’s a crashfest or he goes from farther out with someone else, maybe. i'd love to see he and gilbert give it a go.
I agree, Scott. I think Sagan's best chances for wins, are doing what he did in his only win of 2020 at the Giro. Breakaway on a hilly route and get far enough away they can't run him down. I really don't believe he can capture an all out sprint anymore.
Old 03-20-21, 12:35 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
I agree, Scott. I think Sagan's best chances for wins, are doing what he did in his only win of 2020 at the Giro. Breakaway on a hilly route and get far enough away they can't run him down. I really don't believe he can capture an all out sprint anymore.
he needs to adapt, which is hard because he nearly always finishes in the top 8 of stages he contests. he ain't beating ewan, bennett, wout, mvdp, démare, et al, straight up.
time to go on flyers < 30km's to go. going the jalabert kom route is probably not in the cards.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-20-21 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 03:34 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Could this be my year? That last guy who bridged to the break, Tagliani, is one the darts I threw for Superclasico. I briefly flirted with Taco, too, but that would have been gluttonous and probably a curse.

Of course, this bodes poorly for the break. I'll now be surprised if they make it to the coast.

On Sagan, his Covid is such a huge and unknown variable that I can't even pretend to make a prediction at how he'll go. And given the typical low bar around here for confidence in that realm, that's saying a LOT.
Old 03-20-21, 07:27 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Lol I think I have Taco for the other monuments game 🤔

Got GCN race pass so that's amazing right now. EF was near the front for quite awhile, saw betiol grab bottles so Higuita is protected? Hmm. Saw Trentin talking with race jury awhile back about bottles dunno what that was about.

Tim Declercq one again my hero. Paul Martens, Leysen? legit as well.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-20-21, 04:25 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

As nice as it is to ever-so-briefly Lord it over all of you in Fantasy Spring Classics Ville, it shocks me that we're ALL in the bottom third of the VG general population. This stuff is hard! I hope Dirk is nicer to us low lifes in Superclasico than I plan to be if I stay on top for long in the other one.

I also got a huge chuckle out of seeing so many other Scully pickers in Superclasico, including my brother from another mother who came in on the same point total.

Sneaky Stuyvens. Well done, young man. Amidst all of it, though, the guy who STUNNED me was the Pocket Rocket. He hung on like a limpet up the Poggio. What a change from prior years!

The relentless tick ticking continues. It's on to de Panne mid-week. Namaste.
Old 03-20-21, 06:37 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by slcbob
Sneaky Stuyvens. Well done, young man. Amidst all of it, though, the guy who STUNNED me was the Pocket Rocket. He hung on like a limpet up the Poggio. What a change from prior years!
Wild to see the slow reaction! Soren Kraugh* getting spritely, van averment there.

Jasper Stuyven "If it’d gone to the line I could have finished fifth or 10th, but I preferred to go all-in, so I took the biggest victory of my career. Eight times of 10, you get nothing but there are two times you can win."
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-21-21, 03:07 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

the ascent and descent of the poggio with that shortish distance to the finish is one of the best finishes in all of cycling.
never gets old.
Old 03-22-21, 06:26 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

After his strong showing in Sanremo, I'll predict Sagan for today in Catalunya. Covid be damned.

Good to so so many of the usual suspects taking the start in the BF VG league in that race. Not Superclasico or Spring Classics, but it does count toward the season long Tourapalooza.
Old 03-22-21, 08:52 AM
GrainBrain

After his strong showing in Sanremo, I'll predict Sagan for today in Catalunya. Covid be damned.

Good to so so many of the usual suspects taking the start in the BF VG league in that race. Not Superclasico or Spring Classics, but it does count toward the season long Tourapalooza.
My thoughts on sagan as well, and Bora has been on the front today! I skipped Catalunya, for reasons unknown to me. A quick breather, and the ability to make predictions and comments without pesky facts to back them up. Like how I was totally going to put sagan and hugh carthy down.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 03-22-21, 09:44 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Hope you're right, but methinks way too much climbing for Peter the great today.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 03-22-21, 10:05 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^methinks youthink mo betta.

Good thing I swapped out Kamna for Sagan in my last round of perseverating!
Old 03-22-21, 10:23 AM
diphthong

^methinks youthink mo betta.

Good thing I swapped out Kamna for Sagan in my last round of perseverating!
kamna finished in familiar sagan territory today- fourth.
Old 03-22-21, 03:16 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

kamna finished in familiar sagan territory today- fourth.
Maybe we'll both do well from the assist points for Kelderman and Meeus on future stages.

A nice lift for you today from Lennard and an even nicer one for one4smoke from LL Cool Sanchez to take the brown jersey as the BF VG race leader after stage 1.
Old 03-23-21, 12:32 AM
diphthong

glad we got that first stage of catalunya put of the way. let the real racing begin!

in other news, is the de panne race in the running for the least lumpy race/stage of the year?
Old 03-23-21, 08:02 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

in other news, is the de panne race in the running for the least lumpy race/stage of the year?
It's where the term Panne flat comes from. Not sure if it has crosswinds or cobbles or sheep in the road or Andy's mom scattering thumbtacks or something else to spice it up. Nothing else like it in the calendar since the demise of the Tour of Topeka. Relatively speaking, it makes Paris-Roubaix look like a mountain stage. Gee, I hope there's a Paris Roubaix.

Since I didn't pick Cavagna, he should do well in Catalunya today.
Old 03-24-21, 03:22 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Fantasy spring classics. I'd forgotten how much I hate managing a limited transfer budget.

We should have a native English speaker on the top step today. Probably one of those three lads from Lancashire who have a talent to go up hill and down dale, particularly up hill, pretty darn fast. Perhaps not our native son Sep, unless TJV release the Kraken.
Old 03-25-21, 12:00 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

George has been quick on the trigger with updates of late, and the (s)pokes are riding well even without any contributions from Hirschi.

Barring a last minute race cancellation, don't forget to make your picks for those relentless multi-race leagues. E3 on Friday and G-W on Sunday. No rest for the weary.
Old 03-26-21, 01:34 AM
diphthong

that spring classics league is a trubblesum one. if p-r is indeed going to be cancelled, no need to keep a few transfers in reserve for that.
difficult, howevs, to go supernova on e3 and gee-dub with a few, true classics on near tap. strike while the iron is hot or reserve and conserve?
tick tock stock drop. that race cat 1 vs race cat 2 difference gets crazy. between that and the transfers, whoa.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-26-21 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-26-21, 01:42 AM
diphthong

Fantasy spring classics. I'd forgotten how much I hate managing a limited transfer budget.

We should have a native English speaker on the top step today. Probably one of those three lads from Lancashire who have a talent to go up hill and down dale, particularly up hill, pretty darn fast. Perhaps not our native son Sep, unless TJV release the Kraken.
a surprising amount of people love handcuffs. probably a foo thread...or p & r...
Old 03-26-21, 04:14 AM
diphthong

nice to see chaves competitive again.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-26-21, 11:31 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Well that was extra painful watching WVA drop himself after going all in on him and TJV for this round of the games.

Well done, Wolfpack. What a feeding frenzy.
Old 03-27-21, 08:17 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Carapaz sure has proven to be an expensive route to assist points. Well done, our Adam. Sorry for ever doubting you.

Woods has been my best pick this race. So I'll say he either wins it or crashes out.

Looking forward to G-W. I hope WVA isn't too rough on himself tomorrow.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 03-28-21, 02:35 AM
diphthong

missed the deadline to change out trek and bora riders for gee dubya due to the breaking covid stories. wout or bust!
Old 03-28-21, 04:50 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

missed the deadline to change out trek and bora riders for gee dubya due to the breaking covid stories. wout or bust!
You must be Mads about that. Lo siento.

Is Bora out, too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.