Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New GPS for road and mtb

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

New GPS for road and mtb

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 12:24 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
New GPS for road and mtb

I need a new GPS bike computer that will mainly be used for road riding: However, I also have a 60km mtb race coming up where we are required to load the course map into our GPS units, so it will also need to be good for route finding on trails, as well as data recording for road riding/training (primary use).

I dont have a power meter, although I wouldn't rule one out in the future, but I do have a Wahoo tickr HR, so it would need to be compatible with that.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-13-21, 02:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
If you intend on using for a lot of navigation, the larger the screen the better. The Garmin 1030 or 1030 Plus is the largest of the Garmins. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 is about the same size, seems to have some really good features, though I'm not certain a route course from the mt.bike race can be downloaded. That format is typically a .gpx or .tcx format that can easily be downloaded to a Garmin. The next model down in the Garmin line is the 830, Might fit your budget better, they run about $350 vs. $500 for the older 1030 and $600 for the newer 1030 Plus.

If you don't intend on needing a lot of navigation turn-by-turn, the 830 might be a reasonable choice. Or a Wahoo Roam

Last edited by Steve B.; 03-13-21 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 03:06 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Steve B.
If you intend on using for a lot of navigation, the larger the screen the better. The Garmin 1030 or 1030 Plus is the largest of the Garmins. The Hammerhead Karoo 2 is about the same size, seems to have some really good features, though I'm not certain a route course from the mt.bike race can be downloaded. That format is typically a .gpx or .tcx format that can easily be downloaded to a Garmin. The next model down in the Garmin line is the 830, Might fit your budget better, they run about $350 vs. $500 for the older 1030 and $600 for the newer 1030 Plus.

If you don't intend on needing a lot of navigation turn-by-turn, the 830 might be a reasonable choice. Or a Wahoo Roam
Thanks for the reply. Beyond the mtb race, I dont foresee using it to navigate much, so it will mainly be used for road riding data.

I'm a bit sceptical of the touch screen ones, based on trying to use my phone in wet conditions; hence, I've only looked at the 520 and 530 so far. I also don't want to spend 1030 money. Do the touchscreen ones work well in the wet?
Old 03-13-21, 03:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Yes, the newer screens on the 830 and 1030 Plus work well in the rain. I've an older 1030 and have no issues with sweat or rain, though I tend to not really ride in a downpour (but have when forced too).

Advantage to a TS is they tend to make it easier to navigate thru menus. Not everybody likes them.

Also look at the Wahoo Roam, a bit pricier than a Garmin 830, but Wahoos have great reputations

Sounds like ether a Roam or 830 would suit your needs.
Old 03-13-21, 04:09 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Thanks for the reply. Beyond the mtb race, I dont foresee using it to navigate much, so it will mainly be used for road riding data.

I'm a bit sceptical of the touch screen ones, based on trying to use my phone in wet conditions; hence, I've only looked at the 520 and 530 so far. I also don't want to spend 1030 money. Do the touchscreen ones work well in the wet?
The Garmin touchscreens are resistive not capacitive like most phones so they work fine covered with sweat, in the rain or if you're wearing gloves, although they have some trouble with thick winter gloves. The bigger screen is much better for navigation. I thought I wouldn't use navigation much either, but it's allowed me to try different more adventurous routes and ride further that I might not have tried without navigation.

How much do you want to spend? One thing that could change your mind is that the top end Garmins tend to hold their value for a long time. I see last gen 1030s that are a few years old going for ~$400 on ebay and even good conditions 1000s that are probably 3-5years old sell for $200 or more.

Last edited by billridesbikes; 03-13-21 at 04:10 PM. Reason: speling
Old 03-13-21, 10:49 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have a 1030. Mine does funny things with water droplets on the screen when set to the most sensitive setting. I just lock the screen. I can still a scroll between screens.

since the 1030 is out of your price range. I’d get a 530 or 830 but then I’m heavily invested on Garmin stuff. If I was not I’d have gotten a Wahoo Roam.
Old 03-29-21, 09:09 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Cyclokev
Yohooo, as an alternative, you may use an app, like "Speedo Master" or others on the Google play, to get a customzable speedometer, GPS, map, etc!
Thanks, but it needs to be a dedicated GPS device and not a phone app.
Old 03-29-21, 09:55 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
The smaller 830 will be fine for navigating, many of the local riders that I ride with have 830s. With a loaded route, it pops up turn notifications with direction arrows right on the map, and beeps.
My 1030 does have longer run times, and I do like the larger screen, both for the map and for data screens with 10 fields.

I was skeptical about the touch screen before I got the 1030. It works very well, it's not like a phone touch screen. Lightweight and some medium gloves are fine, but winter gloves with glove liners don't work. The touch screen is really nice for setting up the screens or for modifying settings. Way faster than scrolling through options with an up and down button.

~~~
You won't be using it for navigating very often?
I still load routes when I know the area. I get "distance to go", and often there's one or two turns where I don't remember which road to take. And the elevation chart is very useful, showing the next 1.5 miles as an elevation line. I can estimate the grade ahead and see the climb height, and what's coming after the crest -- is it downhill, more climbing or what.

I've been riding way more complicated routes with a GPS, and exploring a lot of new areas.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-29-21 at 10:00 AM.