Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Agonizing over tire size: is 32mm hilariously thin in 2021?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Agonizing over tire size: is 32mm hilariously thin in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 12:43 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
IN Case no one has said it, tubeless 33 tires exist and have a great ride. Of course you'll need tubeless rims though. That's what I did to my old bike and it's groovy as heck. That said, my wife and I toured fully loaded on 28's with tubes back in the day, and that's fine as far I'm concerned.
Old 03-23-21, 06:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I'm So disappointed they stopped making that tire. I have one brand new pair in 35mm that I've had set aside for a couple years now, waiting for my next big road tour. Have you found anything close as a replacement?
Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35. Multiple casings and consistently viewed as quite fast rolling.
Panaracer GravelKing Slick 35 and 38. I have 2 pairs of slick(28 and 32) and a pair of SemiSlick in 43. I wouldnt think twice about using the slick 38mm once my Hypers are done. The GK tires are a smidge lighter and basically the same rolling.
Continental Terra Speed 35. Some tread knobs, but rated very fast on drum machine
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-23-21, 07:45 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35. Multiple casings and consistently viewed as quite fast rolling.
Panaracer GravelKing Slick 35 and 38. I have 2 pairs of slick(28 and 32) and a pair of SemiSlick in 43. I wouldnt think twice about using the slick 38mm once my Hypers are done. The GK tires are a smidge lighter and basically the same rolling.
Continental Terra Speed 35. Some tread knobs, but rated very fast on drum machine
I/we switched to GK slicks in 28 & 38mm, depending on the bike...it's our std tire at this point. They're very good for our purposes, but I think the Hypers felt faster...though they're gone so a moot point. GKs of any type are better off-road than the Hypers(not designed for off-road). We also run the GK SKs if the terrain needs it. Bikesmiths in Milwaukee often has very good pricing on ebay or their website. The pricing moves around often..just picked up a pair of GK slicks 38mm black for $70/free shipping.
Old 03-24-21, 09:31 AM
JonGapes

Bikes: Whyte Shoreditch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon

Originally Posted by djb
re 32 vs 35 vs whatever. I just got home from commuting the first time on my bike with 35mm regular Marathons, and I think its fair to say that its really up to you to know if you would prefer wider than 32's. Like Doug, I too have toured a lot on 28's, and have ridden on gravel roads with them, but I do have to say that I like how wider tires make an easier ride over rough and loose stuff---but again, really only you can make the judgement call.

I've found over the years that it was only from basically taking a chance and trying out different tires and or tire widths , that I was able to get more of an idea of what preference I have for a given type of riding / touring weight / different surfaces.
It's pretty much impossible to really know without riding on something to know how you like or not like it, internet opinions can only go so far.
Hi there,

I'm looking to change my semi-slick Vittoria tyres in 28C to the Schwalbe Marathon (regular, not Plus) and was thinking about going for 700 x 35c.
I don't really feel safe riding around London's potholed roads on 28C tyres and they're also not great in the wet - they've caught me out a fair few times. How do you (and anyone else who'd like to comment) find the Marathons for grip in the wet and in general?

I'm not a cycle tourer, but I like to exercise on my bike, cycling fast on roads and by the River Thames. I also tackle some hills from time to time. Surfaces are mostly London roads but also canal towpaths with gravel - the current 28C tyres do not handle this well at all. How is the performance as I've read many people say the tyres are sluggish when pulling away, despite having good rolling resistance? I don't do racing per se but do enjoy some quick acceleration with the factory fitted Vittoria tyres at the moment. My bike (Whyte Shoreditch) is 10.2kg.

Thanks,
Jon.
Old 03-24-21, 03:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Jon, I suspect what you consider very potholey as a Londoner is not what I think is potholey, but really though, a 35mm regular marathon is going to be heavier than the tires you ride now, and how you would find them would be very personal (although with such a light bike, you may really be bothered by the weight and feel of heavier tires.)
Old 03-24-21, 03:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
I am going to guess that your Vittoria and Marathon tires will have about the same grip on wet tarmac. But the 35mm tires are less likely to get pinch flats from hitting a pothole and should be much better on towpaths. I have a fairly smooth Vittoria tire on my rando bike, one of my touring bikes has 26 inch wheels and 40mm wide Marathons (with Greenguard).

But most of my riding is on dry tarmac and I can't remember the last time I had a lack of grip on wet tarmac. Thus, I can't really give a good comparison of the two tires on wet tarmac.
Old 03-24-21, 05:17 PM
JonGapes

Bikes: Whyte Shoreditch

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.

I've been looking at other tyres but keep coming back to the Marathons. Bike shops seem to wholeheartedly recommend them too, but I have my doubts because of their weight. I really just want something a bit safer and better on towpaths than what I have now. I'm worried I might regret going the Marathon route as I'm not a tourer and not carrying much weight, just a rucksack. I want good cornering and a good feel to my generally fast rides (but not racing) across varied terrain.
Old 03-29-21, 10:11 PM
feejer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
I have a number of touring bikes and 700 x 32 is my go-to size for road and gravel. I would not consider any wider. I feel sorry for tourists who torture themselves with wider/heavier tires. Don't forget a pound saved in your tires is like five pounds on your frame/ gear. (or something like that).
I'm in the process of building up a bike with Velocity Cliffhanger rims and 2" tires. They weigh noticeably less than the stock Bontrager wheels with 32's on my Trek FX. Noticeably less. And in just one test ride so far the ride quality just absolutely blew away the FX with 32's. I'll never look back, and feel sorry for those that have yet to see the light.
Old 04-04-21, 06:25 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I recently got back from a trip where we spent a great amount of time and hundreds of miles on state highway shoulders. Those shoulders, though wide, were filled with a ton of metal scrap, far more than usual for whatever reason. You couldn't avoid running over some of this stuff, time and time again. It was a case of pick your poison, the frustrating and likely failed effort of dodging steel scraps or play chicken with the logging trucks. I am literally amazed that I didn't suffer a flat or worse yet, a cut sidewall with my Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 32mm considering all the stuff I ran over and kicked up. Though it's no long term review, they definitely passed this test with flying colors.
Old 04-04-21, 07:49 PM
djb

Originally Posted by robow
I recently got back from a trip where we spent a great amount of time and hundreds of miles on state highway shoulders. Those shoulders, though wide, were filled with a ton of metal scrap, far more than usual for whatever reason. You couldn't avoid running over some of this stuff, time and time again. It was a case of pick your poison, the frustrating and likely failed effort of dodging steel scraps or play chicken with the logging trucks. I am literally amazed that I didn't suffer a flat or worse yet, a cut sidewall with my Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 32mm considering all the stuff I ran over and kicked up. Though it's no long term review, they definitely passed this test with flying colors.
glad to hear. Touch wood but I love riding on them.
I still will stop sometimes and finger brush them to dislodge stuff.
Old 04-06-21, 10:14 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by adam.schwartz4
Informal poll here. in 2012 I bought a Bianchi Volpe and at the time it was the most expensive thing I'd ever purchased. Used my FSA which was due to expire and incredibly wrote off the Italian steed as an expense....hope the wrong people don't see this.

Anyway, back then 32mm was a solid sized tire, and my chainstay spacing is proof of that lol. But my things have certainly changed. I've been loyal to Schwalbe Marathons for over a decade, but 5K miles later through all sorts of NYC streets and upstate gravel, it's finally time for a change. I really want to go up in size, but I am SUPER reluctant to remove my fenders just for a test (they get in the way when I try to see the fit with my commuter wheel with Pasela 38s). Adjusting fenders is my nightmare wrench activity...

Either way I highly doubt I can jam anything bigger than 38 in there!

So here's my question: am I really missing out by riding 32s? Is it worth even the nominal gain in tire size to go 35?

I feel like even 38 is considered thin these days and I wanna know if I'm missing out! I do lots of touring over summer, mostly road with some light gravel. I'm deeply inspired by the Jan Heine Bicycle Quarterly way of thinking and if anything want to get some supple shoes with solid flat protection on my Volpe. Thinking the Soma Shikoros....or just saying screw it and buying another pair of Marathons. Discuss!
bigger tire = more !comfort! and not slower. Jan Heine stuff is very cool, very supple tires!

Last edited by str; 04-06-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 11:18 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by str
Jan Heine stuff is very cool, very supple tires!
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both. Just not enough durability to justify $72 per tire. Maybe the knobby models have better flat protection? I replaced the JH/RH tires with 700x43 BG Rock'n'Roads for gravel rides.

Nice photos on the other thread str!
Old 04-06-21, 11:38 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both. Just not enough durability to justify $72 per tire. Maybe the knobby models have better flat protection? I replaced the JH/RH tires with 700x43 BG Rock'n'Roads for gravel rides.

thanks!

Tires to me is a lottery, one never knows when the pain comes. On my road bikes I use tubular Veloflex 28mm, my feeling says that I used them lately 3-4 years. that's very good to me. and then? I l killed two NEW tires in one week!
Rene Here are not the most secure tires, that's right, but they are one thing for sure (to me) the most enjoyable tires, supple, a pleasure to ride them. but then, here at home I use the Extralight Snoqualmie Pass, same tires for several years now, no flats.
At the same time I had little side wall cuts with the normal Snoqualmie Pass, in Romania, harder terrain. Since I use the Endurance + version no problems at all.
I refuse to ride schwalbe marathon concrete tires, I want to enjoy my ride.

Last edited by str; 04-06-21 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 11:40 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?

Apologies to the OP
Old 04-06-21, 12:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d
My bike came with 25mm tires originally. Do you think 32 mm would fit on the same rims ?
75% chance the answer's "No."
20% chance it's "If you put the tires on deflated you can get the wheel through the brakes, then pump them up."

Are you on good terms with an LBS who'll let you try some on to find the definitive answer for your specific bike?
Old 04-06-21, 01:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by mark d

Apologies to the OP
A bike that came with 25mm tires is probably more likely to have a frame clearance problem than a rim width problem. Look closely at your bike to see what your clearance is, both front and rear.
Old 04-06-21, 01:55 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Are you on good terms with an LBS who'll let you try some on to find the definitive answer for your specific bike?[/QUOTE]

thks for the reply, yes there is a small shop I use that would let me try. Good idea
Old 04-06-21, 01:57 PM
mark d

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A bike that came with 25mm tires is probably more likely to have a frame clearance problem than a rim width problem. Look closely at your bike to see what your clearance is, both front and rear.
I will do so as soon as I get to my bike, thanks
Old 04-06-21, 04:24 PM
djb

I've been very wary of this aspect of the herse tires, haven't ridden them, but i can really relate to how riding my 45mm wide Supremes (2in) continue to put a big smile on my face, after such excellent mileage/ wear and really no flats in over 9000kms and a good 2/3rds of that loaded up on all kinds of roads.
Old 04-07-21, 05:48 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I gave Jan Heine's 700x44 Rene Herse "Snoqualmie Pass" tires a try last summer. They rode wonderfully on both paved and gravel roads but I found the smooth tread versions were just too paper thin. I had three flat tires from mid June-November. Not pinch flats, but penetrations from paved road debris such as sharp radial tire casing wires and specks of glass. After the third I discovered the rear tire already worn too thin to re-mount so I discarded both.
How many miles would you estimate you had on them? Five months could be good to terrible longevity IME depending on the mileage. Same for number of punctures. Everyone has different standards. I have considered going to a really light high performance tire. I am willing to tolerate somewhat poor wear and some punctures for a supple tire with a good ride. I do have limits though.
Old 04-07-21, 07:43 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
How many miles would you estimate you had on them?
Pete, I would guess about 1200 miles. That's around town unloaded as I can no longer take long tours. In comparison I replaced my rear tire (700x32 Continental?) on a TransAm tour at 3000 miles in West Yellowstone. Most of those in the group with Schwalbes rode the entire 4200 miles on one set. Not trying to compare the Herse tire with Schwalbes. As str says the Schwalbes are concrete in comparison.

You might be happy with the Herse tires. They are light, lively and comfortable, available in many widths and treads. My 700x44s weigh only around 375 grams. Replacement knobby Bruce Gordons (Panaracer) about 540g. I lied in my above post. I didn't discard my Herse tires, just retired them for now!

I just don't trust them when they get this thin with repeated punctures...

Old 04-07-21, 07:56 AM
djb

My 2in Supremes weigh 560g, not too shabby considering how they ride and especially the (well, my) long wear and puncture free riding (even through glass strewn Guatemala etc)
Old 04-07-21, 09:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Pete, I would guess about 1200 miles. That's around town unloaded as I can no longer take long tours. In comparison I replaced my rear tire (700x32 Continental?) on a TransAm tour at 3000 miles in West Yellowstone. Most of those in the group with Schwalbes rode the entire 4200 miles on one set. Not trying to compare the Herse tire with Schwalbes. As str says the Schwalbes are concrete in comparison.

You might be happy with the Herse tires. They are light, lively and comfortable, available in many widths and treads. My 700x44s weigh only around 375 grams. Replacement knobby Bruce Gordons (Panaracer) about 540g. I lied in my above post. I didn't discard my Herse tires, just retired them for now!

I just don't trust them when they get this thin with repeated punctures...
Thanks. That gives me something to consider when I next purchase tires, which may not be soon since I have some new spares around and have not been riding much..
Old 04-10-21, 08:14 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I suspect many of you have read similar findings before about how wider tires can FEEL slower, but in reality this is not the case.
Yes, more flexible tires make all the difference here, and why I have been in love with my wider Supremes for a few years now, but here is a good article that addresses this whole issue, it's worth the read.
In the Jan Heine "myths about bike riding" etc series.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-m...es-are-slower/
”Fast” can thus either be an objective, measurable quality or a subjective ”feeling” of going fast.

When on tour, I have no deadlines that would be affected by objectively going minutely faster (compared to say winning a race) on wider tires, but may constantly have the joy of going ”fast” on high pressure thinner tires.

Miles vary on this of course, and we hopefully all find our sweet spot.
For me at the moment it’s 32mm Gator Hardshells at 7 bar. I love the puncture protection, the feeling of going fast, and their sound of their buzz on the road
Old 04-11-21, 12:31 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I put on a pair of 38mm Panaracer Gravel Kings, herringbone tread. I got to say they are such a world of difference over the 35mm Continental Hardshells previously installed. They feel so good its hard to keep from smiling. My wife is convinced that she can't keep up with me now, of which I am dubious because its usually the other way around, and maybe she's only humoring me long enough to have my moment in the sun, then she'll mercilessly drop the hammer and really leave me in the dust.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.