Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm I Becoming Paranoid??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm I Becoming Paranoid??

Old 03-20-21, 11:03 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Who told you i'm paranoid? Forget a crash, i'm worried about the NFL satellites reading my mind, 5G and the government putting microchips in the Corona vaccine.

Old 03-20-21, 11:06 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by northernjeep
Also the talking heads on the news like to report news that scares/panics people. As others have said exercise care and caution, above all pay attention to your surroundings when riding.
Definitely paying attention to my surroundings, but the driver paying attention to their cell phone is the scary part...
Likes For dhender02:
Old 03-20-21, 11:11 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I would guess that accidents are up because more people are riding bikes and many of them are pandemic newbies. That said, I have become more cautious in recent years. I'm 72 and broke my hip in a bike crash a few years ago. With each passing year the likely consequences of a fall go up and so does my level of caution on turns, downhills, intersections, etc.
The take way here, you got back in the saddle..... Great!! The attitude I'm trying take these days is I luv riding so I'm not going to stop, be as careful as I can possibly be, and whatever happens. If an accidents happens get back in the saddle if able to...
Old 03-20-21, 11:14 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
Still riding is what I do. I pick my routes carefully, stay vigilant, and hope for the best.
Exactly!! At the end of the day that's all we can do. I really love riding my bike because it has so many other healthy benefits for me. So I'm not gonna stop riding either, but the thought is always in the back of mind.
Old 03-20-21, 11:17 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
WOW!!! I wonder what his bike size is. How can you not see him....
Old 03-20-21, 11:22 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Tiger Woods got jacked up. You paranoid about driving?
I hear you, however, if I was looking to purchase a new car a Hyundai Gensis SUV would not be on my short list until we hear more about what caused his accident.... IJS
Old 03-20-21, 06:08 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-21-21, 07:13 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Continuing my rant of current driving trends. My subdivision was built in a time when most families had only one vehicle. On street parking was not a consideration, nor were sidewalks. Now with every family having 3 - 5 cars, the road is always clogged, especially during family/friend gatherings. The posted speed limit is 25. I'll eat my shorts if the average person drives 25 or less. My daughter was in town visiting this week. As she was existing the subdivision there is a significant dog leg. An Amazon van was obstructing the entrance to the dog leg in her direction. A parked vehicle was obstructing the dog leg in the opposite direction. A vehicle with the right of way by proximity was approaching the dog leg from opposite direction. My daughter slowed staying enough to the right for them to get through, only to have the vehicle behind her shoot the gap cutting off the person approaching from opposite direction. Sure maybe in this instance the speeder may have had obstructed vision, may have misinterpreted why my daughter stayed right; but similar occurrences are common. People always have a burr up there butt and can't wait 5 sec for anything. Even with the benefit of the doubt above, don't they have enough common sense to anticipate the possibilities of a blind dog leg? Pedestrians including families with strollers, toddlers, dogs get the same lack of respect and dangerously close passes at speed.

Last edited by gear64; 03-21-21 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 07:26 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
While I haven’t changed my riding habits, several riders I know locally have either stopped riding or have changed to not riding on the road. They have moved to trails or trainers. I don’t recommend road riding to anyone who’s not comfortable with vehicles also being on the road with them. Riding is hard enough without it being something they take pleasure from doing. There’s always one vehicle per ride for me that passes me too closely and while I don’t like it I try and not let it ruin my ride. I do have cameras both front and rear now should anything serious happen.
Old 03-21-21, 08:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02
WOW!!! I wonder what his bike size is. How can you not see him....
Are you familiar with the details of the incident? I am not. Maybe he pulled out in front of the car at the last second. Sometimes cyclists are at fault.
Old 03-21-21, 08:50 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I’m lucky where I ride on the road. Back country paved and gravel road with no thru traffic and people are actually polite. I believe the factors are no one gives a flip about a bike rider and also most live in the area and if you are bike harasser you will eventually get identified. Many older folks walk for exercise on the roads as well. Overall walkers and bikers don’t evoke angry responses from local people.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 03-21-21, 10:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,592 Times in 2,902 Posts
Paranoia doesn’t need a cause because it is based on a irrational belief. Being wary or nervous based on past experience is another thing. I had a box truck mirror wiz about 3 feet from my head at 55 MPH and it scared the s+++ out of me. I only ride that stretch of highway now if I really have to since it is a main corridor for for semis and double gravel/dump trucks. One close call may not be enough to discourage my hobby but was enough to keep me off that stretch of busy highway.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-22-21, 07:33 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Old 03-22-21, 07:35 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Are you familiar with the details of the incident? I am not. Maybe he pulled out in front of the car at the last second. Sometimes cyclists are at fault.
I read anywhere what the details were. You, right it could have been his fault..
Old 03-22-21, 07:38 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Paranoia doesn’t need a cause because it is based on a irrational belief. Being wary or nervous based on past experience is another thing. I had a box truck mirror wiz about 3 feet from my head at 55 MPH and it scared the s+++ out of me. I only ride that stretch of highway now if I really have to since it is a main corridor for for semis and double gravel/dump trucks. One close call may not be enough to discourage my hobby but was enough to keep me off that stretch of busy highway.
You described more accurately my concern, it's more nervous than paranoid...
Likes For dhender02:
Old 03-22-21, 07:48 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m lucky where I ride on the road. Back country paved and gravel road with no thru traffic and people are actually polite. I believe the factors are no one gives a flip about a bike rider and also most live in the area and if you are bike harasser you will eventually get identified. Many older folks walk for exercise on the roads as well. Overall walkers and bikers don’t evoke angry responses from local people.
I ride on back roads mainly never had a real issue. Just a concern I have, cause it only takes one road rager, driver not paying attention, etc... Overall in general luckily no issues where I ride.
Old 03-22-21, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
You are sounding more and more paranoid.

What will it take to make you feel more secure? Do people at home know where your are going when your ride. Do they know when to expect you back? Have you shared your location with them with your cell phone? Do you have a crash sensor on your GPS device or helmet that alerts your contacts when it senses a crash?

Any of these might help give you some ease of mind when riding. But don't worry so much, as long as not worrying doesn't make you careless and do stupid things like play chicken with oncoming cars......... which I have done. <grin>
Old 03-22-21, 08:53 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
But don't worry so much, as long as not worrying doesn't make you careless and do stupid things like play chicken with oncoming cars......... which I have done. <grin>
Stupid as that sounds, I think there are more than a few of us who've done it. I know I have when I've felt I had the right of way. But even then, I approach the situation with a bail out plan that ends with some idiot buying me a new bike. Yep, sounds like time for an 'upgrade'
Old 03-22-21, 10:36 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I've cranked up the lumens in my daytime lights. Seriously, if you get near me you'll have a seizure.
Likes For Pinelander:
Old 03-22-21, 10:42 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You are sounding more and more paranoid.

What will it take to make you feel more secure? Do people at home know where your are going when your ride. Do they know when to expect you back? Have you shared your location with them with your cell phone? Do you have a crash sensor on your GPS device or helmet that alerts your contacts when it senses a crash?

Any of these might help give you some ease of mind when riding. But don't worry so much, as long as not worrying doesn't make you careless and do stupid things like play chicken with oncoming cars......... which I have done. <grin>
Yes, to all of the above....
Old 03-22-21, 10:43 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinelander
I've cranked up the lumens in my daytime lights. Seriously, if you get near me you'll have a seizure.
Old 03-23-21, 02:50 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Florida again: this is new to

Short vid, hang to the end!

Woman Hits Bicycling Sheriff With Her Car, Claims She Thought She Hit a Mailbox (msn.com)
Old 03-24-21, 12:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I am glad a few people mentioned distracted or inattentive motorists, because they the single greatest threat we face. The problem is not just cell phones, but also touch screen controls and navigation screens. I do tend to choose routes and times of day / weather conditions that are arguably less risky than others.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-24-21, 01:19 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
During last few days there were two fatal, tragic accidents in the local news.

"MIAMI (WSVN) - A cyclist has died after, authorities said, he attempted to cross the South Miami Bridge as it was rising."
https://wsvn.com/news/local/cyclist-...ue-drawbridge/

"JUPITER — A 30-year-old man was killed Monday night when a vehicle struck him and another person as they rode bicycles along Jupiter's busiest street, authorities said. "
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...er/6962661002/

One one hand, I can see many bikers disregarding basic rules of the road, go through red lights, flying through stops when the car is about to move through or suddenly turning on the crosswalk with no time left for cars stop. OTH, drivers are distracted, on phone, texting, speeding, underestimating the speed of the road bikes. The worst time of the day is when it is dark and limited visibility, I do not go on the local busy roads after dark.
Old 03-24-21, 02:33 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've never altered where I wanted to ride until this week-IT'S SPRING BREAK and considering schools have been closed, no one got the memo to stay home. Yes, this week and probably next I am altering my normal 20+ mile daily route in favor of slower traffic routes. Not any less traffic, just slower speeds. I noticed also that lots of cars passing me are giving off a very organic odor out the windows. Very attentive drivers indeed...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.