Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

clipless or flat pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

clipless or flat pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 05:50 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
A long-time commuter, I transitioned from flats to toe clips with straps over 25 years ago. I like being able to keep them loose-ish in order to slightly vary foot position.

One option not mentioned here is "half-clips" or toe clips made to be used without straps. They prevent feet from sliding forward, but that's about it. Used in conjunction with flat pedals with pins they probably do the job for all but the most spirited riders while still allowing immediate foot removal.
Old 03-22-21, 10:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
And we should not forget PowerStraps, if they are still available in some version.
Old 03-22-21, 11:17 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
I've tried riding straps. At 21 mph (34 km/h), I drove into a hole in the asphalt and fell.
Then I saw my legs strapped to my bike and my bike flying over me.
Then the bike did not unfasten and pulled my legs forward.
It was fun. But now I don't ride in straps.
Old 03-23-21, 12:56 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I can't spin with flats like I can clipped in.
I can't climb with flats like I can clipped in.
I can't backpedal at stops automatically with flats.
3 strikes and flats are out for any ride but just tootle-ing around.

Toe clips with straps are acceptable for my vintage rides without much climbing.
Not everyone has the ability or coordination to ride with multiple styles of pedals.
Don’t be so hard on yourself
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-23-21, 01:41 AM
y0x8
Ups!

I have tried riding straps.
At a speed of 0 km / h, I fell on one side, fell and tore a simple jacket.
Then I sewed stickers onto the holes in my jacket.
Became a cool Dolce & Gabbana jacket!
Old 03-23-21, 07:26 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
If you’re riding so very slowly that simply putting your foot down to prevent a crash worked, then you are completely missing the benefits of riding with clipless pedals.
Assume-away that you know the circumstances of my leg down incident. It was my 1st year doing group rides in a pace line on a 2 lane road when I went off the side and was losing balance when I tried to bring it back on. I did what I had done growing up with neighborhood kids riding bikes off ramps in the street and got a leg down while moving to right the ship. It's an emergency move and not anything you'd want to do, but neither is falling into the lane of traffic. As falling or near falling incidents go, it happened fast and I don't remember every move but I do remember a skinned up calf and sore hip. I also remember thinking I could never have done that if my foot was restrained. If your narrative is to believe everyone on flats putters around at 10 mph, you're obviously not alone.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 03-23-21, 09:02 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
flats for me (ergon pc-2)

fairly slow rider, un-interested in performance gains or losses
Old 03-23-21, 09:19 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Someone should do a poll on preference between the 2 pedal styles, it sure brought some heat to this thread.
Old 03-23-21, 12:34 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
I use flat pedals on my mtb. I ride single track trails and don’t need the advantages clipless brings, at the speeds i ride. I like to be able to react instantly, if needed.

I use clipless pedals on my road bike. They provide a real advantage. I go fast (for me), need to keep up with other good riders for 30-55 mile rides and want to pedal efficiently. If I failed to unclip, it would be a zero mph crash and I don’t worry about it. As a good practice, I make sure I unclip one side as I’m slowing down before the stop. My only biffs have happened when I waited too long to unclip.
Old 03-23-21, 02:14 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Sorry - Five Tens are shoes. Adidas bought the company a few years ago and cut out 2 things I liked: 1) big discounts on old styles or returned goods, and 2) kits for putting on new soles.

TBH, the styles don;t seem to change much, and they might have gotten lots of complaints about the kits, but I didn't like having to buy new shoes because the kits were withdrawn. I imagine I'd have no cause for complaint if they never marketed the kits. .
Likes For philbob57:
Old 03-23-21, 02:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I've been riding with traps and straps since the seventies so I guess "the old dog / new tricks" saying prevails for me! I know guys that have been cycling as long as me that also started with traps and straps but hate them. Personal preference, I guess.
Old 03-23-21, 02:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not everyone has the ability or coordination to ride with multiple styles of pedals.
Don’t be so hard on yourself
It’s just that being a longtime roadie, my legs pedal circles instead of mashing squares. A rare quality everyone ( roadie) seeks for efficient forward motion. Worth attempting for newbies and mashers!
Old 03-23-21, 02:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
Since I started using SPD pedals in the mid-90's on my first real MTB, it feels very foreign to me to not be mechanically connected to my pedals. One thing MTB teaches you is how to get out of your pedal quickly. As such, it's never a concern that I won't get my foot down quick enough on the road. Doing a long road ride on flat pedals sounds like some sort of cruel torture. I'll ride clips and straps with cleated shoes when I ride my retro road machine, but I much prefer clipless.
Old 03-23-21, 02:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In my experience, having a solid connection to the bike is even more important on dirt than asphalt. On dirt or gravel, I'm much more likely to be bouncing over rough terrain, need to bunnyhop an obstacle, or need to pull up to power over a sharp incline.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-23-21, 06:18 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Assume-away that you know the circumstances of my leg down incident. It was my 1st year doing group rides in a pace line on a 2 lane road when I went off the side and was losing balance when I tried to bring it back on. I did what I had done growing up with neighborhood kids riding bikes off ramps in the street and got a leg down while moving to right the ship. It's an emergency move and not anything you'd want to do, but neither is falling into the lane of traffic. As falling or near falling incidents go, it happened fast and I don't remember every move but I do remember a skinned up calf and sore hip. I also remember thinking I could never have done that if my foot was restrained. If your narrative is to believe everyone on flats putters around at 10 mph, you're obviously not alone.

So now you’re in a paceline and hit a section of missing pavement on the side of the road, and you “put your foot down” and saved yourself, without taking out anyone in the line, and you want us to believe that it was an intentional maneuver that saved the day? That sore hip came from your foot falling off the pedal because you were Fredding off on flats, and the skinned up calf was the result of your floppy leg getting slapped with the same flat pedal that your foot just slipped off. Well done. Bravo. Maybe we should all just ride on spindles since clipless pedals make us so slow to react. Comparatively, of course! Heh, just yankin yer chain. I’m sure it saved your bacon that day, butcha gotta admit, it’s a tough story to swallow.

Last edited by AdkMtnMonster; 03-23-21 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Missed a :) at the end.
Old 03-23-21, 10:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When I was a child, I rode flats. When I got my first real road bike in '62, it had toe clips. I was so jazzed! I was turbine-powered! It seemed to me that if I could catch a bump just right, I could power wheelie. It was a revelation. I've ridden with foot retention ever since, can't imagine not having the pleasure of a solid connection to the pedals. Sprinting hard on a steep hill, I can pull the rear wheel right off the ground or lose steering on the front if I'm not careful to keep my weight centered - that's how much power it's possible to transmit to the drive train. Having my feet secure on the pedals is so important for safety!
Old 03-24-21, 01:56 AM
y0x8
Ups!

I ride fixed gear without fixing the foot.
In this case, the connecting rods are constantly rotating with the fixed gear.
And this is harder than freewill! What's wrong with me?!
My feet never slip off the pedals unless I want to.
Old 03-24-21, 07:54 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
The only bike I own without foot retention is my Cruiser.
It's my 5km/hr neighbourhood bike. I can jump on it at any given moment without having to change my kit.....my wife hates it when I wear the motorcycle helmet
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-24-21, 08:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
Someone should do a poll on preference between the 2 pedal styles, it sure brought some heat to this thread.
I entered "clipless" into the search box and it came up with 443 threads. Since I joined the forum this subject has been discussed ad nauseum.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-24-21, 08:30 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Great Guru, Sheldon Brown - Bicycle Wheel Assembly Sensei wrote about fixed gear like this:
Many enthusiastic cyclists ride such bicycles by choice, at least part of the time. Why would anybody do that? It is not easy to put into words. There is an almost mystical connection between a fixed-gear cyclist and bicycle: it feels like an extension of your body to a greater extent than does a freewheel-equipped machine. If you are an enthusiastic, vigorous cyclist, you really should give it a try.
This is because the fixed gear has a tight mechanical feedback loop with the rider.
With the fusion of iron and body, an almost drug addiction and euphoria occurs.
Exactly the same mechanical feedback exists when the foot is rigidly attached to the pedal.
Therefore, this unimaginable taste of strapped on pedals delights in the same way as Fixed Gear.
The mechanism of action on the psyche is the same: it is a rigid feedback mechanical connection between the body and the gland.
Old 03-24-21, 09:08 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by y0x8
Great Guru, Sheldon Brown - Bicycle Wheel Assembly Sensei wrote about fixed gear like this:

This is because the fixed gear has a tight mechanical feedback loop with the rider.
With the fusion of iron and body, an almost drug addiction and euphoria occurs.
Exactly the same mechanical feedback exists when the foot is rigidly attached to the pedal.
Therefore, this unimaginable taste of strapped on pedals delights in the same way as Fixed Gear.
The mechanism of action on the psyche is the same: it is a rigid feedback mechanical connection between the body and the gland.
Yeah, but which 'gland'?
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 03-24-21, 09:27 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Originally Posted by Bigbus
Yeah, but which 'gland'?
Iron is a bicycle.
The feedback of the tethered pedals is reminiscent of the feeling of a person's connection to a fixed gear.
Fanatical adherents of both are ready to foam at the mouth to prove their love for the attached pedals (or fixed gear).
It's a drug.
Old 03-24-21, 11:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,072 Times in 3,815 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
In this endless "debate," this claim always makes me chuckle.

Many folks that ride clipless have no problems reacting instantly.
There are also cases where the smooth application of power possible from being connected to your pedals is critical for navigating technical sections. As mentioned by caloso , being connected to your pedals also allows you to control the bike in ways that you can't do with flat pedals, as well as keeping your feet from slipping of the pedal when you don't want it to.
Old 03-24-21, 01:45 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I never got used to the clipless shoes with clipless pedals, so I am using my comfortable running shoes no matter what, with flat pedals (hybrid bike) and clipless pedals (road bikes), somehow with the exception of starting out I do not feel any difference between flat and clipless pedals. It must be age thing.
Old 03-24-21, 01:59 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
In this endless "debate," this claim always makes me chuckle.

Many folks that ride clipless have no problems reacting instantly.
I think it makes perfect sense-when clipped in you're in a euphoric state of mind, but when you're on platforms you're in a reactionary state of mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.