Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

X-One Allround or G-One Speed?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 12:22 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I have a set of Schwalbe X-One Allrounds (33mm) and a set of G-One Speeds (38mm). Anyone know which type is faster on dry gravel and pavement? I checked BicycleRollingResistance.com, but they don’t seem to have numbers for either specific model. Is there another source that has rolling resistance numbers?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-21, 01:10 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by FML123
Anyone know which type is faster on dry gravel and pavement?
I've read some German magazines, and oddly the all-round is slightly faster, although the difference is small enough to be negligible. I have both, and can't say the speed is really faster. You could go either way - their performance is similar (other than the obvious off road wet terrain issues with the speed).
Likes For chas58:
Old 04-18-21, 06:36 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I have a set of Schwalbe X-One Allrounds (33mm) and a set of G-One Speeds (38mm). Anyone know which type is faster on dry gravel and pavement? I checked BicycleRollingResistance.com, but they don’t seem to have numbers for either specific model. Is there another source that has rolling resistance numbers?

Thanks.
m $0.02 go with the wider tire for comfort. Speed difference is probably negligible, in fact the wider tire may be faster on gravel.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 04-18-21, 10:51 AM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks, Chas and Toadmeister. I kept the 38mm G-One Speeds on the main wheelset and the 33mm X-One Allrounds on the winter alloy wheels. But I do think the narrower knobbies feel faster, maybe because they’re lighter, and they do have a good amount of compliance, I guess from the knobs.
Old 04-20-21, 03:55 PM
chas58

Thanks, Chas and Toadmeister. I kept the 38mm G-One Speeds on the main wheelset and the 33mm X-One Allrounds on the winter alloy wheels. But I do think the narrower knobbies feel faster, maybe because they’re lighter, and they do have a good amount of compliance, I guess from the knobs.
That will work. the last 6 months I've been using 33mm X-One just cause they are laying around my garage. Work good in the winter (but I do like the extra volume in the summer).
Likes For chas58:
Old 04-21-21, 06:57 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
How do you guys feel the X-One Speed 33c fairs in this group? I'm on 80%+ asphalt and the rest FL hardpack trail stuff. I'm looking to go more unpaved though as I find new riding spots.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-21, 04:10 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by MrWasabi
How do you guys feel the X-One Speed 33c fairs in this group? I'm on 80%+ asphalt and the rest FL hardpack trail stuff. I'm looking to go more unpaved though as I find new riding spots.

Thanks.
Geeze, every time I turn around there is a new version and size of this tire.

X-One is a cyclocross tire. 33mm is kinda small for gravel - like the carcass is the same size as my 32mm road tires. For gravel I like 40mm - although the hardpack we have in the summer I do use 32mm much of the time.

for FL hardpack stuff, it would be great - as long as you don't need flotation of a wider tire. I've owned tires like that in the past and love them. Fast on the straights, allow me to carve into hardpack dirt turns, more forgiving breakaway characteristics than a slick, not as draggy as a knobby.
Disadvantages: Gotta be very smooth when climbing (not a problem for you I guess). Hard cornering is going to be soft on the road (compared to a slick). Not much flotation.

For hard, dry (non muddy) conditions without hard climbing it could be ideal. I probably run 40-60psi in that size range (higher psi than a 40mm tire).
Likes For chas58: