Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Covid support group - anyone catch covid find long term health impact?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Covid support group - anyone catch covid find long term health impact?

Old 04-05-21, 05:42 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I got COVID three months ago. Minimal symptoms with full recovery.
I believe that because of it I am overall now much stronger and healthier than I have been in years.
Old 04-05-21, 06:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by ropetwitch
Hope everything will now go back to normal, I miss biking. This pandemic is taking too long and thanks that vaccines are now available. Are you guys willing to avail the vaccine?
Has Covid stopped you from cycling? I don’t understand how that would happen.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I got COVID three months ago. Minimal symptoms with full recovery.
I believe that because of it I am overall now much stronger and healthier than I have been in years.
In what way has it made you stronger? Not sure I understand how that would happen.
Old 04-05-21, 06:27 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Koyote
Has Covid stopped you from cycling? I don’t understand how that would happen.

In what way has it made you stronger? Not sure I understand how that would happen.
Couldn’t tell you exactly how.
But I definitely feel much stronger and healthier since I contracted and kicked COVID.
Considering the fact that the CDC has contradicted everything they have said since day one of the pandemic I don’t feel so bad not knowing exactly why I feel better.
Old 04-05-21, 06:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
But I definitely feel much stronger and healthier since I contracted and kicked COVID.
Considering the fact that the CDC has contradicted everything they have said since day one of the pandemic I don’t feel so bad not knowing exactly why I feel better.
Hmm. Weird.

Just speculating, since I know nothing about you, but perhaps you just needed a really big recovery block, and the illness forced it on you?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-05-21, 07:57 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to here. Advice on dealing with Covid has changed somewhat over time as we learned more about it, but nothing has been contradicted.
Old 04-05-21, 08:49 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Not sure what you're referring to here. Advice on dealing with Covid has changed somewhat over time as we learned more about it, but nothing has been contradicted.
Two months ago the head of the CDC, Dr Rochelle Walensky, clearly stated that the data showed that schools can re-open and that teachers can return to school without a vaccination.
She said this during a White House press briefing.
Later on for obviously political reasons, the White House tried to claim that it wasn’t an official statement from the CDC and they never denied this falsehood.
The CDC has also contradicted itself over whether or not certain vaccinations will or can prevent transmission.
Old 04-05-21, 10:15 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Did anyone who had covid find a long term impact on their general health or cycling? I had it winter 2020, and my cycling struggled last summer.
Yes. It gave me Chronic Fatigue Syndrome including exercise intolerance and radically reduced aerobic threshold. Officially I'm supposed to avoid a heart rate over 120 bpm, although 110 seems to be where my symptoms get worse the next day. It also led to New Daily Persistent Headache, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, and slight asthma.

Before COVID I was planning on hitting the three highest local paved peaks in a 300 mile loop as a step up from my two mountain two hundred mile loop.

After I'm hoping to average fifteen easy minutes every other day and failing due to fatigue.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-05-21 at 02:05 PM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 04-17-21, 05:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Back to the original question. I went out today and did 16.6 miles in just over 1 hour. Something like 16.3 average. That's probably about what I expect first thing in the spring, except that it'd be that speed for 25 miles. At 16 I was whipped. Hopefully the difference is just more out-of-shape than normal, and with some hard work I'll be back to my 19-21 mph averages by August. (Usually my average speed is dependent on what the group's speed is because I'll slow to whatever they're doing.)
Today was my first group ride this year. As I stated above, the group's speed was my speed, in this case 33 miles at 19.2 mph. I could not have done this on my own, and rather than slowing for them, I was pleased that I could even hang on. I found out after the ride that several of the riders' new bikes had assist. No wonder they weren't as tired as me!
Likes For BlazingPedals: