Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tires for a wannabe tourer?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-06-21, 07:35 AM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone! I've been interested in getting into touring or bikepacking for a while now but have yet to get out on a trip. I have a 90's Bianchi Ibex (mountain bike) conversion but have a question about tires. The tires I currently have on there are Nokian all weather slicks (26 x 1.3). That's just what the bike shop had when I bought the bike as it originally had massive tires that I didn't think suited my riding. Now I'm wondering if they're best for what I want to do. I don't anticipate doing any major tours in the near future, just thinking about weekend trips but want to have some flexibility if I run into some gravel or dirt trails (though nothing major). Should I be considering wider/non-slick tires that are more suitable for different surfaces?

I also wonder about tire/wheel sizes because I still haven't found a good explanation. My current tires are 26 x 1.3 but I've come across some on Facebook Marketplace that say "650 x 35B - 26 x 1.5". Is there a difference between 650B and 26" or are they pretty well interchangeable? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-21, 08:39 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
To answer the second question first. 26" and 650b are not interchangeable tires, the rim size is different. 650b is a larger rim diameter. Sometimes people swap rims but this will usually only work if you have disc brakes as the pads on rim brake bikes are set for whatever diameter comes with it. There are some exceptions to that but for your question the answer is look to 26" tires.

Tires are a hot topic with everyone having their favorate. Those Nokians are pretty cheap and heavy. For a proven tour grade tire try looking at Schwalbe Marathons as a choice. Others will recommend more.

Cheers.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 04-06-21, 09:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Get a quality slick 1.9" to 2.1" folding tire and run it at a lower PSI than you have right now. Plan on at least $40/tire to get something that is made to roll quickly. The more knobs(lugs), the slower you go.
You dont need tread to ride on dirt and gravel paths.
Old 04-06-21, 09:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclepost
Hi everyone! I've been interested in getting into touring or bikepacking for a while now but have yet to get out on a trip. I have a 90's Bianchi Ibex (mountain bike) conversion but have a question about tires. The tires I currently have on there are Nokian all weather slicks (26 x 1.3). That's just what the bike shop had when I bought the bike as it originally had massive tires that I didn't think suited my riding. Now I'm wondering if they're best for what I want to do. I don't anticipate doing any major tours in the near future, just thinking about weekend trips but want to have some flexibility if I run into some gravel or dirt trails (though nothing major). Should I be considering wider/non-slick tires that are more suitable for different surfaces?

I also wonder about tire/wheel sizes because I still haven't found a good explanation. My current tires are 26 x 1.3 but I've come across some on Facebook Marketplace that say "650 x 35B - 26 x 1.5". Is there a difference between 650B and 26" or are they pretty well interchangeable? Thanks in advance!
I think you should do a couple weekend trips on what you have. Then if you enjoyed it, start thinking about other tires.

There are several different tire sizes that have been referred to as 26 inch over the years. If you look at the tires on your bike you probably will see the number 559. That is the common 26 inch tire for use on mountain bikes. But the size known as 650b at one time decades ago was also called 26 inch, that tire would have a number 584 on it somewhere and now people call that 27.5 inch. And there is another 26 inch tire that was commonly used on British three speed bikes several decades ago, that would have the number 590 on it.

More on sizing issues here.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

But these days if you walk into a bike shop and ask about 26 inch tires for a mountain bike, 99.9 percent of the time they will know that you are talking about a 559 tire.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-06-21 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-06-21, 10:37 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The more knobs(lugs), the slower you go.
Actually lots of little low knobs roll better than fewer larger higher ones. Not like a slick but closer. Something like the Kenda Slant Six rolls pretty well on pavement if you want/need knobs for when off pavement. I road tour on slicks, or near slicks, but have done mixed surface tours on XC race tires and found them to work pretty well.

BTW, on a slightly different topic. I tend to wear out what I have on the bike before worrying about changing tires unless they are something pretty unpleasant or very unsuitable for the tour I am planning.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-06-21, 10:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Actually lots of little low knobs roll better than fewer larger higher ones. Not like a slick but closer. Something like the Kenda Slant Six rolls pretty well on pavement if you want/need knobs for when off pavement. I road tour on slicks, or near slicks, but have done mixed surface tours on XC race tires and found them to work pretty well.

BTW, on a slightly different topic. I tend to wear out what I have on the bike before worrying about changing tires unless they are something pretty unpleasant or very unsuitable for the tour I am planning.
Yes thanks for clarifying, my other post was poorly worded.
I just meant when considering knobs vs slick- knobs roll slower and worse on pavement and hardpack dirt or packed stone are surfaces that dont need knobs.
Old 04-06-21, 11:09 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
If you're looking for new 26" tires for mixed surface check out the Maxxis DTH (file tread) or Schwalbe 'Billy Bonkers' (lots of little low knobs). Both are folding and very lightweight.
Old 04-07-21, 07:09 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
I agree with the idea of just trying out a weekend trip to see if you like doing this. If the tires on your bike are in good shape you will be ok.
I find a 26x1.5inch tire to be a good all around width for riding on all kinds of surfaces, and any reasonable tire will work well for predominantly paved road and dirt riding.
there are many good tires at a reasonable cost for your needs, and they will last for years, so perhaps see if you actually like bike touring----plus you may have to buy a rear rack, tent, camp mat, sleeping bag etc.....so hold off on new tires if three existing ones are new.

if you really want new tires, then people can give good suggestions.
And yes, 25-40 dollar range generally will mean a good tire.

do you have the stuff to try touring, panniers?
Old 04-09-21, 07:46 AM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I agree with the idea of just trying out a weekend trip to see if you like doing this. If the tires on your bike are in good shape you will be ok.
I find a 26x1.5inch tire to be a good all around width for riding on all kinds of surfaces, and any reasonable tire will work well for predominantly paved road and dirt riding.
there are many good tires at a reasonable cost for your needs, and they will last for years, so perhaps see if you actually like bike touring----plus you may have to buy a rear rack, tent, camp mat, sleeping bag etc.....so hold off on new tires if three existing ones are new.

if you really want new tires, then people can give good suggestions.
And yes, 25-40 dollar range generally will mean a good tire.

do you have the stuff to try touring, panniers?
That would probably be a good idea given there are other things I will need to get. I do have panniers and a rear rack but need to get the camping gear. I have a car camping trip planned later this summer so I'm getting that stuff anyway so at least I know I'll use it a bit.
Old 04-10-21, 05:44 AM
LynxTheWizard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I suggest Schwalbe Hurricane. The middle part is basically a slick, yet there are some aggressive teeth on the sides to help with the grip on rougher surfaces. Relatively cheap, fast and reliable tyre.