Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Double Flats on Today’s Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21, 09:56 PM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts

Started on my usual Friday afternoon ride today and about 1/3 of the way in to my 30 mile loop I got two flats at the same time. I was cruising down the road at about 20mph and hit some sort of drain lid in the street that was recessed at least 1” in asphalt. Right when I hit it I knew it was not good, I pulled off of the road and sure enough both tires were flat. I always make sure that I carry a spare tube with me for rides, but today that was not good enough. I ended up calling my wife to come pick me up. On the bright side at least I got a 10 mile ride in.

Lesson learned today is I either need to carry (2) spare tubes or (1) tube with a patch kit. Tomorrow I will be heading to the LBS to get more spare tubes and a patch kit so I can get back at it.

Update: While changing the tubes I notices I now have two bent rims that will have to be replaced.

Last edited by sjammer; 04-17-21 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-17-21, 01:20 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
My vote is always carry a spare tube and patch kit. I carry one co2 and a small hand pump too - take care.
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 04-17-21, 09:24 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Yeah, multiple options always help. I have the usual spare tube, patch kit, and tire boots just in case. But lately, because my "support system" isn't around for a bit I'm riding more durable tires. Strange thing is they're not much slower than my "fast" wheels and tires. And yes, I don't use CO2, just a nice light mini pump that always works. Just personal preference.
Old 04-17-21, 09:35 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I've seen a rider get the double snakebite flat as described, fix them both, and then get a single flat later on in the ride. First and only triple flat I've ever witnessed. I'm only ever prepared for a double. That's why group rides are so comforting, resource pooling.
Old 04-17-21, 09:45 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I have lots of new spare tubes in my bike parts bin but I only carry the patch kit with me and a small pump on the seat tube. I just need to get home to do the major repairs, IE: replace the tube with new.
Old 04-17-21, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by sjammer
Started on my usual Friday afternoon ride today and about 1/3 of the way in to my 30 mile loop I got two flats at the same time. I was cruising down the road at about 20mph and hit some sort of drain lid in the street that was recessed at least 1” in asphalt. Right when I hit it I knew it was not good, I pulled off of the road and sure enough both tires were flat. I always make sure that I carry a spare tube with me for rides, but today that was not good enough. I ended up calling my wife to come pick me up. On the bright side at least I got a 10 mile ride in.

Lesson learned today is I either need to carry (2) spare tubes or (1) tube with a patch kit. Tomorrow I will be heading to the LBS to get more spare tubes and a patch kit so I can get back at it.
Lesson learned should also include not running over stuff you don't have to. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-17-21, 10:18 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
Lesson learned should also include not running over stuff you don't have to. <grin>
Smart Ass <grin>
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-18-21, 06:03 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I've seen a rider get the double snakebite flat as described, fix them both, and then get a single flat later on in the ride. First and only triple flat I've ever witnessed. I'm only ever prepared for a double. That's why group rides are so comforting, resource pooling.
Yep. Out in a group of maybe ten where nobody else got even a single over around forty miles, I got a double puncture coming down a hill. What else was special about that day? I'd forgotten my saddle bag, so had to borrow a couple of tubes.
Once home and repairing the burst tubes, I discovered snakebites front and back, plus another on the back - so five punctures all to myself from one tiny stretch of tarmac.
So, I'm thankful I was in a group where I could cadge the spares, but if I hadn't been with that group I probably wouldn't have been riding that road. Lucky or jinxed, jinxed or lucky?
Old 04-18-21, 08:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
I hadn't double flatted for years and then last year I did it twice. First time rode through a bunch of glass on old tires, put my spare tube in and patched the other. Later, riding in the mountains with new tires I hit a sharp rock that was hiding in a shadow and snake bit both tubes and cut the rear tire pretty bad. I was descending and worried about getting it stopped, but did. I had 1 tube and a friend gave me another and I had a boot for the cut tire. 2020'd.

Our club used to do a century every Saturday in the early 90s and one of the women bought a new Merckx bike which was much too stiff for her so she was not happy to begin with then she had 6 flats on the century that day. 3 in front and 3 in back. I couldn't believe it. She was not willing to accept any help. I don't think I've seen anyone so upset at their equipment.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-21, 08:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Jumpski
My vote is always carry a spare tube and patch kit. I carry one co2 and a small hand pump too - take care.
Exactly what I carry. I dont like to walk home.
Old 04-18-21, 09:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I had a very similar experience about 5 yrs ago. I was on a group ride so there were a lot of tubes available in the group. These days I ride tubeless and have not had a flat in over 2 yrs. Hoped I haven't jinxed myself. Going out for a ride in an hour.
Old 04-18-21, 12:46 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Another lesson that I hope you learned is to put the appropriate pressure in your tires.
Old 04-19-21, 03:51 PM
sjammer

Tire were aired up correctly.
Old 04-19-21, 09:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
So the deal is something like this.

If you ride enough, virtually 100% guaranteed you'll have a flat. So you may as well be prepared, one way or another. Be able to fix it, phone a friend, make a friend, or walk.

Everything else, like multiple flats, tire failure, broken spoke, broken chain, failed cable, derailleur into the spokes, broken crankarm, broken BB spindle, broken pedal, broken frame, broken handlebar, destroyed brake pads, broken seatpost are possible, but much much less likely than a single flat tire. I've experienced or seen every one. If you ride enough, one of these or something similar will happen. So again, be able to fix it, phone a friend, make a friend, or walk. The problem is, you don't really know which one will happen, and you don't know when friends will be available, so at the end of it all, walking is in play.
Old 04-19-21, 10:14 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts

Update: While changing the tubes I notices I now have two bent rims that will have to be replaced.
I Carry Five tubes and no patches.
I have had Five rides with Three Flats.

Old 04-29-21, 03:38 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Were you not looking where you were going? Were you on a new route?
Old 04-29-21, 04:44 PM
sjammer

Originally Posted by epnnf
Were you not looking where you were going? Were you on a new route?
Yes I was on a new route and probably a little to far in to the street.
Old 04-29-21, 04:49 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Got back from my ride yesterday and noticed that the slide tube was no longer attached to my hand pump. It's mounted on the down tube. Backtracked today in hopes of finding it but no luck. Just ordered a new hand pump. All the patches in the world won't do a darn bit of good without a way to put air back into a tube and I haven't liked the idea of CO2 because they seem like a one and done option. They do work good on life vests though.
Old 04-29-21, 09:08 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
On my typical rides, which are usually 40+ miles, I always carry two spare tubes and a proper patch kit (none of those worthless glueless patches for me!). I have had to use them too. I also carry something that I can use to boot the tire since I've had slashes big enough to render the tire unusable. For much of my riding territory there is often no cell signal, so self-sufficiency is required. It is also pretty lame to have to call someone to rescue you for a mere flat tire.

Last edited by davester; 04-30-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-29-21, 11:51 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Couple years ago, I went through a fresh pothole at fast clip and had both tires go flat. I saw it too late and couldn't react, it was not on my usual routes. Each tire had two snake bites, one from each rim side. Luckily, rims were ok but I also replaced worn out tires at the time since one of them looked damaged and put new tubes in and keep the repaired ones as spare, one to care with me on longer rides.
It was near where my sister lives, so called her to pick me up.
Otherwise I never have flats and I ride my 23c tires till they are bald with wide flat spot in the middle. I guess it depends on the area, how the roads are littered.
Old 04-30-21, 08:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Tire were aired up correctly.
Not the correct PSI to be hitting that road hazard with hope not to flat.