Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wearing UCI Jersey - Not appropriate, noob alert?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wearing UCI Jersey - Not appropriate, noob alert?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 03:17 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Not only did I buy the jersey, I also bought this:

That is b/c I am the fastest cyclist within a 500 mile radius of where I presently am. Champion of my own little world indeed.
Q....you crack me up!
Old 06-19-11, 03:34 PM
Adrianinkc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ask questions, if you like wear it who really cares about what the serious Fred's are going to think.
Old 06-19-11, 03:51 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
I wear a yellow jersey every now and then. It doesn't bother me and I'm pretty sure it hasn't bothered anyone else. No one has ever said anything negative to me.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-19-11, 04:32 PM
teterider
On the Move

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete

The point I was trying to make is that I can't think of a single person with any bike racing experience who would wear an award jersey that they didn't earn, myself included. Wearing a pro team's kit says "I'm a fan." Wearing an award jersey says "I don't get it." It's just like any of a countless number of social/cultural norms in different places/groups where someone's ignorance or ineptitude says "I'm not from around here." Doesn't mean that they should be ridiculed or treated rudely--and I'd never make fun of anyone or disrespect anyone over it--but it does say that they're not aware of a cultural norm in bike racing that says you don't wear some jerseys you didn't earn.
As many times as this subject gets beaten like a rented mule, I really like this answer. If you're the type of person who would wear a shirt reading "US Olympic Cycling Team" and have a replica gold medal around your neck, then you would likely wear an award jersey too. If it floats your boat...

But again the UCI jersey in question (plus bibs) are not award issued so that point is mute here. But they are promoting an organization with questionable tactics and ethics and will probably be wrapped up in the scandal of the inevitable and unfortunate sinking of USS Lance.
Old 06-19-11, 04:48 PM
Taqi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear what you like, but do you really want to be associated with the corrupt, greedy, self-felching weasels that are the UCI?
Old 06-19-11, 04:50 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 5,114 Times in 1,806 Posts
Nothing you bought is an award jersey. You completely missed my point. Of course it looks like you were just looking to rant and quoted a random post so you could brag about some 84 mile ride. Congrats.

The point I was trying to make is that I can't think of a single person with any bike racing experience who would wear an award jersey that they didn't earn, myself included. Wearing a pro team's kit says "I'm a fan." Wearing an award jersey says "I don't get it." It's just like any of a countless number of social/cultural norms in different places/groups where someone's ignorance or ineptitude says "I'm not from around here." Doesn't mean that they should be ridiculed or treated rudely--and I'd never make fun of anyone or disrespect anyone over it--but it does say that they're not aware of a cultural norm in bike racing that says you don't wear some jerseys you didn't earn.
No big deal, quess we're both misunderstanding each other. No need to brag about an 84 mile ride as plenty of folks do those distances routinely and a lot faster than I do.

I am curious about the "cultural norm" statement though. If one in unaware of the "cultural norm" then is there even such a thing in relation to that individual? What if they don't accept or believe in that "cultural norm"?

I just find the whole concept of anyone worrying about what anyone else wears for any reason totally pathetic. Maybe that's just my problem. I just don't understand the mindset at all. I pass lots of riders on the road yet don't judge them in anyway. I wave, say hi, and go on about my business. Don't really analyze them at all based on what the ride, what they wear, etc. Oh, other than the fact that most are faster than me. Sort of a given as they pass me by

Anyway, I guess we are just the polar opposites on this issue with opinions that ultimately matter to no one but us. Sorry if I offended you, not my intent. This is after all just a little internet forum available to us for entertainment. I should not go around stepping on toes in it.
Old 06-19-11, 05:07 PM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These topics always make me LOL.
Why do some worry about what someone wears? If its a team jersey and your not in a race and on a ride what's the problem?
The jerseys that are official the teams surly get royalties from the sale so take into consideration that you are helping the team and sport of cycling it surely needs it!.
If you have time to worry about what someone else has on or worried about what someone may think of what you have on you should ride faster and harder so you don't have this free time on your hand. LOL ride fast enough so you are never passed and no one will see you.
Old 06-19-11, 05:14 PM
Taqi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
Why do some worry about what someone wears?
Yep, if a person wishes to wear a jersey that says "UCI - We lick Lance's ball for money", who has any right to object.
Old 06-19-11, 05:27 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Taqi
Yep, if a person wishes to wear a jersey that says "UCI - We lick Lance's ball for money", who has any right to object.
Lance's ball
Old 06-19-11, 05:57 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JTGraphics
These topics always make me LOL.
Why do some worry about what someone wears? If its a team jersey and your not in a race and on a ride what's the problem?
The jerseys that are official the teams surly get royalties from the sale so take into consideration that you are helping the team and sport of cycling it surely needs it!.
If you have time to worry about what someone else has on or worried about what someone may think of what you have on you should ride faster and harder so you don't have this free time on your hand. LOL ride fast enough so you are never passed and no one will see you.
How much time or energy do you think it takes?

I have a hard time believing you live in SoCal, world capitol of the game of outward appearances, because you seem to not think that every culture/place/group in existence has some set of social norms for the "in" group. If you really don't believe that appearances matter and you can't "look the part," it makes me wonder if you're chronically unemployed, kidding yourself, or just so used to doing it that you're not aware of it. It takes no time, energy, or effort to identify a "new guy" or someone who's not adhering to a social norm. It's true in just about any social or professional setting you can think of, even where everyone is supposed to look the same, like the military.

Again, this thread was started by a new rider who identified that there are jerseys out there whose wear is considered outside the norm by a certain "in" group of competitive cyclists. The UCI jersey in question isn't one of them, but there are some that, if given the choice, you shouldn't wear if you want to be viewed as adhering to the norm. It's not like you'll get Cinzanoed for wearing a maillot jaune to a group ride full of racers, but they'll definitely look at it and think "that's odd."

It always amuses me, though, that the people who claim not to care what people think seem to have the angriest posts in threads like these. I assure you it took far more energy and effort for you to write that post than it does for me to look at a jersey and have an opinion.
Old 06-19-11, 06:06 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
No big deal, quess we're both misunderstanding each other. No need to brag about an 84 mile ride as plenty of folks do those distances routinely and a lot faster than I do.

I am curious about the "cultural norm" statement though. If one in unaware of the "cultural norm" then is there even such a thing in relation to that individual? What if they don't accept or believe in that "cultural norm"?

I just find the whole concept of anyone worrying about what anyone else wears for any reason totally pathetic. Maybe that's just my problem. I just don't understand the mindset at all. I pass lots of riders on the road yet don't judge them in anyway. I wave, say hi, and go on about my business. Don't really analyze them at all based on what the ride, what they wear, etc. Oh, other than the fact that most are faster than me. Sort of a given as they pass me by

Anyway, I guess we are just the polar opposites on this issue with opinions that ultimately matter to no one but us. Sorry if I offended you, not my intent. This is after all just a little internet forum available to us for entertainment. I should not go around stepping on toes in it.
See my post below. I think it'll explain my answers to what you're asking. Social/cultural norms are EVERYWHERE, and cycling is no exception. Do you show up for work in totally inappropriate clothes? Do you look at someone who's way underdressed/overdressed at a meeting and not have a thought about that? It's not a be-all, end-all, but it's one data point.

(edit) here's a "what's a social norm" discussion I grabbed off the googles: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0073547AA54YFG

Like I said, it's not like it's a big deal, but anywhere in life you can either "look the part" or not. In cycling the consequences of not looking the part are pretty much zero, besides maybe some racers thinking you're a goof.

Someone once showed up for a cat 4/5 crit wearing a TdF white jersey. The official made some joke about it, and when the guy asked me what was up I explained the concept of award jerseys and how people involved with bike racing get weird when you wear an award jersey you didn't earn. He said he didn't know, thanked me, and off we went. And, as it goes with most new guys in their first race, he got shelled early and came back the next week--with shaved legs and a different jersey.

Last edited by DrPete; 06-19-11 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 06:06 PM
spry

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Braden1550
If you wear it, beware victor chang!
"silly posers'
Old 06-19-11, 06:46 PM
justabikegirl
justabikegirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me, my own self, I really like white so I'd buy it. The rainbow matches my side-kick Chercheval's collar so that's always a plus. Go for it man.
Old 06-19-11, 07:36 PM
bomski99

Bikes: 2016 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I admit I'm as green as they come and I've found this site to be a useful tool for advice on bike related topics. Having said that, that will be the day that I get permission to wear something I want to wear from anyone online. I'm from Green Bay, you don't have to go far without seeing someone wearing a Packers jersey even though I'm almost certain they do not actually play for the team. Wear what you find stylish, or comfortable, or convenient. If anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem not yours.
Old 06-19-11, 07:38 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bomski99
I admit I'm as green as they come and I've found this site to be a useful tool for advice on bike related topics. Having said that, that will be the day that I get permission to wear something I want to wear from anyone online. I'm from Green Bay, you don't have to go far without seeing someone wearing a Packers jersey even though I'm almost certain they do not actually play for the team. Wear what you find stylish, or comfortable, or convenient. If anyone has a problem with that, it's their problem not yours.
How many of those people wear replica super bowl rings?
Old 06-19-11, 08:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
No seriously, wear what you want. Note that if it's a pro kit and you don't look the part I will make jokes at your expense behind your back, but don't let that stop you, as I am kind of a ******bag.

I bet them garmin bibs feel like Jessica Biel.
Old 06-19-11, 09:47 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And amateur racers and other serious cyclists who understand the significance of an award jersey will glance at you, identify you as someone who's not interested in racing, and go about their ride. Besides, there's a difference between wearing a jersey that's yellow and wearing the yellow jersey. But you don't care about that anyway, so I won't bother you with the details.
Well at least now I know why my yellow jersey was on sale and there were a whole bunch of them left over. lol I honestly didn't know what it meant until this thread. My triple chain ring and baggy shorts would probably be another indication of my non-racing ways.

Come to think of it, last time I rode with a good friend that's a serious cyclist, he hesitantly looked at my yellow jersey and said "well, I guess we'll be seen".
Old 06-19-11, 11:03 PM
Kind of Blued

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's more poserish than wearing a team jersey?

Implying that you think you're awesome by saying that you wouldn't wear one unless you earned it, as if you had a snowball's chance in hell.

I also wouldn't wear a UCI jersey, but solely because I hate them as an organization. It is a cool design though.
Old 06-20-11, 04:08 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear this jersey so people will think I ride for the Washington Capitals Cycling Team:
Old 06-20-11, 08:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I wear a yellow jersey every now and then. It doesn't bother me and I'm pretty sure it hasn't bothered anyone else. No one has ever said anything negative to me.
1) wear what you care to, as long as your not in a sanctioned race;

2) there's a difference between a yellow jersey, and a replica jersey of the TDF GC leader.

Personally, I'd wear the former, not the latter.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-20-11, 08:59 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
I wear this jersey so people will think I ride for the Washington Capitals Cycling Team:
Is that jersey one that is awarded during a race, like a sprinter's jerseys, a stage winner's jersey or a GC winner's jersey?

No.

Those jerseys have specific meaning to racing cyclists. Wearing one is an earned right.

Wearing a pro team kit is totally fine and signifies nothing beyond being a fan of that team. Wear it with pride.

I am with Dr Pete on this one; Team jerseys are just fine, awards jerseys are a bit odd.

Old 06-20-11, 09:09 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I am with Dr Pete on this one; Team jerseys are just fine, awards jerseys are a bit odd.
Men riding in spandex are a bit odd so maybe it's appropriate.
Old 06-20-11, 09:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
What's more poserish than wearing a team jersey?

Implying that you think you're awesome by saying that you wouldn't wear one unless you earned it, as if you had a snowball's chance in hell.

I also wouldn't wear a UCI jersey, but solely because I hate them as an organization. It is a cool design though.
The implication is only in your head and your own judgemental attitude. How would you know they are trying to imply anything? There could be other reasons why they have the jersey, but I doubt it is as grandiose as you assume it to be.