Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Storage keg larger than 16oz?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-23, 08:00 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 266 Posts

I’m looking for a storage keg bottle similar to what Specialized offers but a bit bigger, say 24oz. I know water bottles are easy enough to find but I need it to have a large mouth like a keg. Suggestions ?
Old 04-02-23, 08:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12843 Post(s)
Liked 7,767 Times in 4,119 Posts
Clean Bottle maybe? They neck down quite a bit unfortunately. I can't remember if I ever tried swapping the top and bottom, but seems like they'd be the same size. The openings aren't quite as large as the K.E.G. either. I think they made the K.E.G.s that size so they'll stay in a standard water bottle cage, any taller without a neck and they'll eject on rough road/trail.

Old 04-02-23, 08:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Wa...162127326&th=1
Old 04-02-23, 09:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
I got one of these at my LBS; it's got their store logo on it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/pu...ext=44119-2330

They also have an uninsulated version with 26 oz capacity.

Last edited by rollagain; 04-02-23 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-03-23, 02:07 AM
circle23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 1 Post
very nice
Old 04-03-23, 09:41 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Found it !

Zefal Z Box
Old 04-03-23, 11:07 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,018 Times in 1,937 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2N8TF5P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 04-03-23, 05:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 1,068 Posts
Widefoot Liter cage + Nalgene 32oz.

Old 04-03-23, 07:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,574 Times in 4,225 Posts
Question for those that use these kegs- is there a practical benefit to using them vs a quality wedge bag that won't sway?...or is it just that you don't like the look of a wedge bag?
How do people manage hydration?...just ride as far as 1 bottle gets you? Stop frequently to refill?
Old 04-03-23, 08:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18471 Post(s)
Liked 15,737 Times in 7,399 Posts
Originally Posted by circle23
very nice
Cool
Old 04-03-23, 09:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4843 Post(s)
Liked 3,968 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Found it !

Zefal Z Box

Pretty neat. Copied from the Zefal website. I'm trusting they'll forgive me for showing off one of their products. And no, I have no financial attachment to Zefal other than some real money over the years traveling from my wallet, through bike shops and a little of it making it's way to that French company.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-03-23 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 10:47 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Question for those that use these kegs- is there a practical benefit to using them vs a quality wedge bag that won't sway?...or is it just that you don't like the look of a wedge bag?
How do people manage hydration?...just ride as far as 1 bottle gets you? Stop frequently to refill?
Probably a lot due to personal preference, and what 'supplies' and why you're bringing them along on the ride. Why use a quality wedge bag that won't sway, vs carrying what you need in your jersey pockets ?

Actual, practical reasons could include bike configuration like a dropper or suspension seatpost that precludes an underseat bag.
Could be the OP is carrying something like their phone / wallet / glasses that you don't necessarily want to stuff in a seat bag with your tools and spare tubes. Also, you can generally access your bottle cages without dismounting, so it's an easier to access location than a seat bag.
Since a 'keg' rides in the bottle cages; for a commuter or folding bike, removing or installing your storage is as easy as loading a water bottle; if it's a bike that gets left on a rack, it saves you from re-rigging your bags every time you leave or return to your bike

Likewise, hydration needs differ from person to person and ride to ride. Personally, I'm not geared up for an unsupported century every time I leave the house. I generally carry only one bottle on rides less than 2 hrs / 30 miles. If I'm doing a 'proper' trail ride, there's not even any water on the bike; I wear a Camelback.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 04-05-23, 02:21 PM
Tomm Willians

Since I’ve been asked…… my preferred style of riding is distance (100+) but I don’t consider myself a true “Ultra rider” or such, I just grab my bike and go for long rides.
My current set up on my 2022 Diverge Carbon Expert is 2- 27oz bottles on the frame, a Topeak saddle bag that stores stuff like spare lights, cable lock, various supplements, Epipen, spare AXS battery, wallet etc….
I have a bolt on top tube bag that currently keeps my snacks and cell phone. My intention for the keg is to mount it under the downtube to carry some of the thing’s currently in my saddle bag as I need room for clothing storage when I start removing layers.
I absolutely cannot tolerate placing items of any weight in my back jersey pockets, drives me nuts.
Yes I do carry quite a bit of stuff as my downtube is also hollow storage and carries a number of other items but I like knowing that no matter what happens on a ride ( I ride solo a great deal) it’s likely I’ll be just fine.
Old 04-06-23, 08:33 AM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Since I’ve been asked…… my preferred style of riding is distance (100+) but I don’t consider myself a true “Ultra rider” or such, I just grab my bike and go for long rides.
My current set up on my 2022 Diverge Carbon Expert is 2- 27oz bottles on the frame, a Topeak saddle bag that stores stuff like spare lights, cable lock, various supplements, Epipen, spare AXS battery, wallet etc….
I have a bolt on top tube bag that currently keeps my snacks and cell phone. My intention for the keg is to mount it under the downtube to carry some of the thing’s currently in my saddle bag as I need room for clothing storage when I start removing layers.
I absolutely cannot tolerate placing items of any weight in my back jersey pockets, drives me nuts.
Yes I do carry quite a bit of stuff as my downtube is also hollow storage and carries a number of other items but I like knowing that no matter what happens on a ride ( I ride solo a great deal) it’s likely I’ll be just fine.
Under the downtube is a fantastic place for one of these storage kegs with heavier tools and what not!
Love my 3rd bottle cage mount.
Old 04-07-23, 12:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 5,737 Times in 2,954 Posts
Just watched a video by Dylan Johnson on aero gains, and besides aero socks (this goes for distance and TT riders) is to place your water bottles/kegs in your jersey pockets. Doing so increases the amount of time the air clings to you thus lessoning drag.