Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Grand Prix

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 02:14 PM
mrdeep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Grand Prix

I don't know much about Classic / Vintage bikes (or bikes at all, really), I was wondering what everyone thought of a Raleigh Grand Prix. I'd be using it primarily for commuting to work, occasional rides for fun, all on the road. Could I put fenders on it if possible?

Specifically, this one:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260063800447

Any advice would be appreciated, especially things to consider when looking for a Classic bike or uh, links to threads that I should have already read.
Old 12-13-06, 02:59 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
That bike would take fender no problem. You better be at least 6'3" to ride that thing. It will weigh a ton and it is not 40 years old. 30 maybe, but I am leaning to more like 25yrs. 30 bucks it okay but I would look for something local. Watch craig's list and look for bikes with alloy cotterless cranks. You may want to go into some bike shops and get an idea of what size you are looking for first.
Old 12-13-06, 03:33 PM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got a Grand Prix mixte.
Looks like fenders will be fine.
Old 12-13-06, 03:39 PM
mswantak
Glutton for Punishment

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That GP is a '74-'76 model; the serial number will tell which. They're good solid bikes that'll stand up to the rigors of commuting easily. No problem fitting fenders; I have a set on my '69. I see someone has already replaced the original Simplex RD with a newer SunTour; I'd replace the FD too if it hasn't been already.
Old 12-13-06, 04:33 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
That would be an excellent commuter for a tall person. btw - they aren't that heavy.
Old 12-13-06, 05:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3817 Post(s)
Liked 6,751 Times in 2,626 Posts
Well, I'd swap in a pair of lighter weight aluminum alloy wheels before commuting on that bike, especially in the rain.

Neal
Old 12-13-06, 09:05 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nlerner
Well, I'd swap in a pair of lighter weight aluminum alloy wheels before commuting on that bike, especially in the rain.

Neal
How much would those run?
Old 12-13-06, 09:23 PM
mpfgc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bike only needs tires, I'd say it's not a bad deal - I picked-up a very similar GP (same color, also very tall) from the trash during the summer. In addition to tires it needs wheels, a seat, and probably cables, brake pads, and other related small bits. I've got those things in my garage, but if you had to buy them I think you'd be hard pressed to get them all for less than $30.

I had another GP which I traded away last year as it was a bit small for me, but I'd say it's a good ride for commuting and recreational uses.

I'm in central CT and would say that the price is very fair for the area - I watch Craig's List pretty closely, and don't see many bikes of comparable caliber priced any lower than this.
Old 12-13-06, 09:33 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

Neal
Do that and an alloy crankset and you'll have something.
I'm tweaking a Grand Prix a few years older right now, a Gazelle-made one. Put an old SR Apex crankset on it and am scrounging for wheels.
Take a look at these:

https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...1&p=01%2D82945
https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...1&p=01%2D82947

My local Dick's Sporting Goods will sell the same wheels a couple of bucks cheaper and you don't have to pay freight.
For myself, I'll just wait until something useable comes through the dump
Old 12-13-06, 09:37 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by top506
Do that and an alloy crankset and you'll have something.
I'm tweaking a Grand Prix a few years older right now, a Gazelle-made one. Put an old SR Apex crankset on it and am scrounging for wheels.
Take a look at these:

https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...1&p=01%2D82945
https://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...1&p=01%2D82947

My local Dick's Sporting Goods will sell the same wheels a couple of bucks cheaper and you don't have to pay freight.
For myself, I'll just wait until something useable comes through the dump
Same here, except cheap somewhere.
Old 12-14-06, 12:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
I have never regretted fitting a lowly Peugeot UO-8 with aluminum rims and cranks, and the Raleigh Gran Prix is a comparable machine, with the advantage of British/ISO threads and diameters.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-14-06, 03:56 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
I have never regretted fitting a lowly Peugeot UO-8 with aluminum rims and cranks, and the Raleigh Gran Prix is a comparable machine, with the advantage of British/ISO threads and diameters.
I currently have both, but was suprised how much lighter the grand prix was.
But it might just be because it's a little smaller, doesn't have a rack, and is a mixte.
Old 12-15-06, 03:46 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like a 25 inch frame. That's pretty much the upper end of what I can ride, and I'm 6'3, so be sure you're big enough for it.
Old 12-15-06, 06:09 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeep
I don't know much about Classic / Vintage bikes (or bikes at all, really), I was wondering what everyone thought of a Raleigh Grand Prix. I'd be using it primarily for commuting to work, occasional rides for fun, all on the road. Could I put fenders on it if possible?

Specifically, this one:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260063800447

Any advice would be appreciated, especially things to consider when looking for a Classic bike or uh, links to threads that I should have already read.
I rebuilt a Raleigh Super Gran Prix 2 years ago. https://www.accesswave.ca/~elvisbird/tour2.htm
I have done even more work on it since then - water bottle bosses on the seat tube, dropped the rear brake stay, and repainted. But it doesn't look much more differant than the photo.

If you start upgrading you will run into some challenges:
- you'll have to get long reach brakes, if you go with modern dual pivot. Even then you may have to rig a drop bolt. https://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html. In the end I just had someone drop down the brake stay for me.
- if you go with more than a 5 speed rear cluster you'll have to get the rear triangle spread. No big deal.
- the horizontal dropouts MAY be a problem - centering your wheel and mounting a rear derailler.
- On mine I had a hellava time finding a headset with a short stack height that would work with the fork steerer tube length. THAT was tough.

If you're looking for wheels, I have a set for sale:
36 spoke, black box rim, Shimano generic hubs, Velox rim cloth. Actually the bike in the photo show the wheels. I'm selling them because I'm upgrading the wheels on my road bike and switching THOSE to this Raleigh.

Do a search on my name (Digger) and Super Grand Prox and you will find a bunch of posts on it.

I doubt that bike shown in the link you provided is 40 years old, I'm thinking maybe 25 to 30.
Old 12-17-06, 12:20 AM
kmart
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all, I just picked up Raleigh Grand Prix for $10. Many of the stickers are scratched up so I couldn't make out out what the tubing material was from the label on the seat tube. Is mixte the tubing material?
Old 12-17-06, 02:25 AM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mixte is a frame style, more commonly known as ladies bikes.
Old 12-18-06, 04:38 AM
clipped
and riding...just riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend rode a century on her 69 Grand Prix with steel cranks and alloy rims. It remains her favorite bike. I have one about the same vintage I use for a commuter/general rider that's been converted to fixed gear with a rear rack. Real stable, classy and solid. Weights not an issue, me being around a 250 pounder.
Old 12-18-06, 07:32 AM
oglala_1927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mixte is a frame style! not necessarily a womens bike. A womens bike has the top tube curved down into the seat tube. I also went to alloy wheels, aluminum crank set and upright handlebars on my Peugeot mixte. Next comes installing a 32 tooth cog on the heliomatic rear hub!
Old 12-18-06, 01:59 PM
mastershake916

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oglala_1927
Mixte is a frame style! not necessarily a womens bike. A womens bike has the top tube curved down into the seat tube. I also went to alloy wheels, aluminum crank set and upright handlebars on my Peugeot mixte. Next comes installing a 32 tooth cog on the heliomatic rear hub!
I was just trying to also put it in layman's terms.
Old 12-18-06, 02:06 PM
kmart
Blue Light Special

Bikes: '05 Felt F55, Schwinn Prologue road bike, '86 Centurion DS Iron Man, Sette Flite AM MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I get the mixte thing now, thanks