Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 03-20-20, 01:37 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Personally I can't agree with..... "what matters most is getting out and doing it, not how fast."

My desire to maintain maximum speed along with longer distances ridden became more of a challenge for every ride since my diagnosis of *Gleason 10 PCa* then having a *bilateral Orchiectomy* followed by experimental *Cryoablation + immunotherapy injection.* My pursuit of the Quality of Life existence rather than the Quantity of Life has little room for a "slow down to smell the roses" mantra.
I don't see why it has to be one or the other. I do both depending on circumstances. I suspect we all challenge ourselves some times, according to our abilities and inclinations.
Likes For bargeon:
Old 03-22-20, 03:19 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts

My wife and I just bought equipment to check blood pressure, oxygen levels and body temperature. Unless there is an emergency we are not going to a healthcare facility. My wife's BP is on the left, mine is on the right-notice that my pulse rate is 131-I have anxiety-it went right down to 55 bpm after the check. My nurse practitioner is ok with remote visits and will make changes to Rx if needed.

The BP monitor was about $100 and the oximeter was $70. There are cheaper models on the shelves of most drugstores. I'm pretty sure I had Coronavirus in January the last time I visited my nurse. She gave me an antibiotic because she suspected pneumonia in one lobe of my left lung. I got better in three days. I am 73, my wife is 68.
Old 03-23-20, 07:19 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Is a cuff worn to take BP?
Old 03-24-20, 08:25 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Is a cuff worn to take BP?
The picture shows a tube going from the machine to the cuff next to it.
Old 03-24-20, 08:43 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
I don't see why it has to be one or the other. I do both depending on circumstances. I suspect we all challenge ourselves some times, according to our abilities and inclinations.
Travelling at whatever speed on your bike is better than not at all. Of course this is just my personal opinion, so disregard if you wish.
Old 03-29-20, 05:43 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
In two weeks I’m having a colonoscopy and endoscopy to try and find the root cause of my recently diagnosed iron deficiency anemia, and am crossing my fingers that it’s not colorectal cancer, which would require chemotherapy that suppresses my immune system. This would make me more vulnerable to this virus, and potentially leave me either ill or cause death.
So, I got a call today from the doctor doing the procedures telling me that they have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis, and will be posponed until the coast is clear. He said that even cancer surgeries are being cancelled, so even if they found something, it wouldn’t matter. Fortunately, my iron deficiency anemia symptoms have subsided since I began taking supplements, so I’m hopeful that my underlying condition is not serious or malignant. Things are getting real tight around here, and hardly anyone is leaving their homes. Even the grocery stores are nearly empty. Yesterday, I went to the post office to mail my income tax return, and the masked postal clerk barked at me because I failed to stand behind a strip of red tape on the floor to keep me at a six foot distance from him. The checkout clerk at the Central Market grocery store refused to touch my cloth grocery bags, so I had to bag my own groceries. People walk around looking like robots hardly ever saying a word or smiling. It’s depressing.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-29-20, 09:52 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
So today I made 65, to my own surprise and the utter astonishment of many in my family. Here's to the next 20.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 03-30-20, 07:37 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Ya know how how you always have to give your birthday when you call the doc or some services? I do it automatically without thinking.

But the other day someone asked how old I was so I said my age aloud for the first time in a while. 69.
Wait a minute! That dosen't sound right. Can't be. Have I had my birthday wrong? I just turned 50.

Last edited by bargeon; 04-01-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 10:50 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
So, I got a call today from the doctor doing the procedures telling me that they have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis, and will be posponed until the coast is clear. He said that even cancer surgeries are being cancelled, so even if they found something, it wouldn’t matter. Fortunately, my iron deficiency anemia symptoms have subsided since I began taking supplements, so I’m hopeful that my underlying condition is not serious or malignant. Things are getting real tight around here, and hardly anyone is leaving their homes. Even the grocery stores are nearly empty. Yesterday, I went to the post office to mail my income tax return, and the masked postal clerk barked at me because I failed to stand behind a strip of red tape on the floor to keep me at a six foot distance from him. The checkout clerk at the Central Market grocery store refused to touch my cloth grocery bags, so I had to bag my own groceries. People walk around looking like robots hardly ever saying a word or smiling. It’s depressing.
Happy to hear that you are feeling a bit better and hoping that your supplements do the trick. It's interesting to hear your zombi-like observations at the market and such as I have seen the opposite. Stores have minimal people and shelves half empty...but people are looking at one another and nodding heads as if saying; "we are all in this thing together" Of course this is the South and people tend to be more friendly in that way. And I say that as a transplanted New Yorker. Hope it's the same a month from now. But I have been riding.
Old 03-30-20, 10:55 AM
smoore

Bargeon, I have felt the same this past few months as I now have to say "Seventy". It seems a little unreal and maybe embarrassing as everyone is surprised when I tell them. But still....there is a little part of me that doesn't want to be seventy. I mean that's when "old" really become real. The Bible says we get "three score and ten" and anything else is mercy and grace. And I've always agreed with that. But now that I'm here...it's weird. I did 22 yesterday, I better go out for another ride.

Last edited by smoore; 04-01-20 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For smoore:
Old 03-30-20, 11:46 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by smoore
Happy to hear that you are feeling a bit better and hoping that your supplements do the trick. It's interesting to hear your zombi-like observations at the market and such as I have seen the opposite. Stores have minimal people and shelves half empty...but people are looking at one another and nodding heads as if saying; "we are all in this thing together" Of course this is the South and people tend to be more friendly in that way. And I say that as a transplanted New Yorker. Hope it's the same a month from now. But I have been riding.
Thanks for the encouragement, I can certainly use it. I live in North Texas, aka DFW, which is also considered the South, but maybe a bit less friendly than the true South where you live. Part of this is that many people are just plain scared stiff that if they even make eye contact with someone else they might catch the CV and end up on a ventilator. They are now giving out fines to people seen congragating in parks and other public places. Fortunately, I can safely ride my bike around my residential neighborhood without encountering crowds, although dogs can be a problem. Today it’s raining outside, so I’ll get an hour workout on my indoor trainer, while watch DVDs of Laurel and Hardy.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-31-20, 05:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
So, I got a call today from the doctor doing the procedures telling me that they have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 crisis.................
Have you used the at home --- https://www.cologuardtest.com/ --- test??? I've had many members of the 2 cancer forums I belong to also say their treatments have been delayed.

Bargeon, I have felt the same this past few months as I now have to say "Seventy". It seems a little unreal and maybe embarrassing as everyone is surprised when I tell them. But still....there is a little part of me that doesn't want to be seventy. I mean that's when "old" really become real. The Bible says we get "seven score and ten" and anything else is mercy and grace. And I've always agreed with that. But now that I'm here...it's weird. I did 22 yesterday, I better go out for another ride.
DANG -- I've been upping my age to the next year for years. Going to be 70 in July if I live that long and been riding my new age or more almost every ride. Only managed 105 miles yesterday since still a little tired from Friday/Saturday's 145 miles.

Thinking 3 score and 10 is more like it.
Old 03-31-20, 06:19 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Have you used the at home --- https://www.cologuardtest.com/ --- test??? I've had many members of the 2 cancer forums I belong to also say their treatments have been delayed.
I’ve never used Cologuard, because I have no personal or family history of colon polyps or cancer, and all my fecal ocult blood tests have come back negative. The reason for the endoscopy and colonoscopy is that I suddenly had iron deficiency anemia, and my hemotologist wanted to determine if the cause was bleeding in my GI track or some problem absorbing iron. I’ve been taking iron supplements and my blood count (hemoglobin) has returned to normal, so the GI people decided that the situation was not so urgent to risk exposing me to Covid-19 at my age. Also, my dentist has closed his office, so I will have wait to get some fillings done. Today was another beautiful mild Spring day, so I got a nice bike ride around my neighborhood and feel wonderful.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-01-20, 10:44 AM
smoore

DANG -- I've been upping my age to the next year for years. Going to be 70 in July if I live that long and been riding my new age or more almost every ride. Only managed 105 miles yesterday since still a little tired from Friday/Saturday's 145 miles.

Thinking 3 score and 10 is more like it.
You are correct...fixed it!
Old 04-02-20, 12:20 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
So the local Albertson's decided to offer "seniors only" hours from 7 to 90 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I headed over there this morning only to be told to come back "when you're old enough" by the ring nosed, green haired (and apparently empty headed) millennial collecting grocery carts in the parking lot. I was born is '48. Was tempted to tell him "do the math", but I have my doubts about his cognitive capabilities.
Likes For bmcer:
Old 04-02-20, 12:53 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by bmcer
So the local Albertson's decided to offer "seniors only" hours from 7 to 90 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays. So I headed over there this morning only to be told to come back "when you're old enough" by the ring nosed, green haired (and apparently empty headed) millennial collecting grocery carts in the parking lot. I was born is '48. Was tempted to tell him "do the math", but I have my doubts about his cognitive capabilities.
That will be a problem in today's society.
Old 04-04-20, 03:21 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I used senior hours once in my local Jewel-Osco, owned, I believe, by Albertson's. I've never seen it as crowded. Mid-mornings seem to have only a few shoppers.
Old 04-05-20, 05:23 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
My wife looks younger than her approaching 70th B-day. I look MUCH OLDER than my 70th B-day. MAYBE to that ring nosed, green haired (and apparently empty headed) millennial you don't look your age.

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
That will be a problem in today's society.
"Same as it ever was"

Originally Posted by philbob57
I used senior hours once in my local Jewel-Osco, owned, I believe, by Albertson's. I've never seen it as crowded. Mid-mornings seem to have only a few shoppers.
Same here at Walmart with 90+% without masks. Had a 46 mile ride yesterday plus grocery grabbing bike rides wearing mask.
Old 04-05-20, 02:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I preferred the C8 Corvette video with Jay Leno.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 04-12-20, 09:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Bargeon, I have felt the same this past few months as I now have to say "Seventy". It seems a little unreal and maybe embarrassing.......The Bible says we get "three score and ten" and anything else is mercy and grace. And I've always agreed with that. But now that I'm here...it's weird.

You must be reading an old version of the Bible.... three score and 10 is the new fifty, now it's four score and ten. So go give us 30miles and 25 push-ups.
Old 04-12-20, 09:48 AM
smoore

Originally Posted by Wildwood
You must be reading an old version of the Bible.... three score and 10 is the new fifty, now it's four score and ten. So go give us 30miles and 25 push-ups.
I did 28 miles yesterday (weather was mid-sixties and fantastic) and I know I'm good for at least 15 push-ups. And yes, my bible is old...about 2000 years I think.
Old 04-12-20, 11:59 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
From learnreligions dot com:

We can say with some certainty that the first widespread edition of the Bible was assembled by St. Jerome around A.D. 400. This manuscript included all 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament in the same language: Latin. This edition of the Bible is commonly referred to as The Vulgate

From Wildwood:

much, much closer to the early Middle Ages, aka The Dark Ages - known for very un-Christlike thinking and acts.
Old 04-13-20, 09:18 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
birthday ride

A very nice birthday miles ride. Just turned 71 and got in a relaxing 71 mile ride in good weather, just a bit of wind at the end.

The shutdown is a gift to the road cyclist, I spent 30 of these miles on the St Johns river road in the St Augustine area(Rt 13), the 4" wide bike lane makes this ride risky (to say the least) especially during the commute to work times.

But today..I spent most of the ride in the travel lane. I could hear the infrequent vehicle coming before I saw them. I miss those days around here.

This was also my first ride over 50 miles on my Domane (used but nice) the bike is a treasure to ride and the Di2 shifting is addictive,

A sign of age is creeping in. Time was if I was at 71 miles that early in the day I would have come up with a way to do 29 miles in for a century.

The wind on the return trip beat me up though and I was past recovery, ah well, we all get old I guess.

Old 04-13-20, 09:55 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by bykemike
A very nice birthday miles ride. Just turned 71 and got in a relaxing 71 mile ride in good weather, just a bit of wind at the end.

The shutdown is a gift to the road cyclist, I spent 30 of these miles on the St Johns river road in the St Augustine area(Rt 13), the 4" wide bike lane makes this ride risky (to say the least) especially during the commute to work times.

But today..I spent most of the ride in the travel lane. I could hear the infrequent vehicle coming before I saw them. I miss those days around here.

This was also my first ride over 50 miles on my Domane (used but nice) the bike is a treasure to ride and the Di2 shifting is addictive,

A sign of age is creeping in. Time was if I was at 71 miles that early in the day I would have come up with a way to do 29 miles in for a century.

The wind on the return trip beat me up though and I was past recovery, ah well, we all get old I guess.

Hi, which model Garmin is this? TIA.
Old 04-13-20, 12:38 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Hi, which model Garmin is this? TIA.
Old, I cant say I know what it is anymore.Small , light and cheap, not really much in the way of features. Oh Yeah, it is an Edge 200! Discontinued now.

Looks like there are a couple of new ones on Ebay Read it over, they are Chinese but have English in it as well, new though. They fit on a standard Barfly mount

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201825182657

Last edited by bykemike; 04-13-20 at 12:42 PM.
Likes For bykemike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.