Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

scott conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 01:41 PM
chris the sweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scott conversion

Hi, I have a Scott sportster p2 and love the bike, however its got a few miles in it, the suntour fork is locked out 95% of the time but I am noticing quite a bit of rocking movement front to back so I am thinking its a bit tired, so I was thinking of a carbon replacement, then I thought my riding type has changed why dont I just adapt the bike to an adventure/gravel style bike I noticed the frame geometry is almost the same for the Sportster/Speedster, and I am finding the flat bars uncomfortable after a couple of hours so was looking at changing bars/shifters to drop bars I am already running 38mm tires.
any thoughts suggestions?
Old 03-07-19, 02:27 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I'm thinking its kind of expensive to go to drop bars unless you have the parts lying around. A carbon replacement fork could be nice. Personally on my flat bar bike I use Ergon Trekking grips that give me some options on hand positions. Jones bar is another alternative. Makes me wonder if there is another fit issue that is making your bars uncomfortable. I'll do 400 mile rides and be comfortable on my flat bar setup (although not as fast as I am with drops, and certainly there a lot of good reasons for drops).
Old 03-07-19, 06:24 PM
chris the sweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think its a problem with size/fit of the bike, its more a problem with me, I have quite bad tendonitis in both elbows, and the drop bars would help me to vary my riding position, however I can see what you mean by quite expensive, it might even be impossible, (as I dont want to change my gearing), in finding a drop bar shift/brake set that incorporates a triple ring with 9 speed and hydraulic discs is proving problematical.