Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Giant Roam Owners Thread

Old 01-20-19, 11:54 PM
mavericg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If possible, would you be able to inquire at a local-to-you Giant dealer if they can find a part number for that chain stay protector? The Roams sold in the US all have the X-defender down tube protector, but only one model here has the chain stay protector, and my bike shop can't find a part number for that chain stay protector. Since they're equipping all Roams with that where you live, perhaps your local bike shops would be able to come up with a Giant part number (if one exists)? I would like to buy one of these for my Roam (I prefer original equipment parts to aftermarket, if I can find them), but nobody stateside can figure it out.

Many thanks.
hi there, I did enquire it for you but they said it’s not available in their local giant database to order as well. Even the ergo max grips with bar ends I’ve tried to order through them but it’s not available locally nor they cannot even order.

The only thing ive managed to order is the bike stand

i managed to to order the ergo max grips with bar ends via eBay. Have you tried eBay as there as sellers you sells directly from Taiwan.

Old 01-20-19, 11:56 PM
mavericg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here’s some newly add ons for commuting:

Old 01-21-19, 06:59 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by mavericg
Here’s some newly add ons for commuting:

One of the best choices currently available as a commuter and fun bike.
Old 01-21-19, 08:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Thanks for checking on the chain stay protector. Your bike in silver looks great!
Old 01-29-19, 08:29 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
A pic after some muddy fun ripping trails around Lake Carnegie, Princeton NJ. Added some matching Ergon grips and some Vault flats a while back.

New rubber is in order....hope they fit

Last edited by Esthetic; 01-29-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 02:10 PM
DESERTFOX_TR

Bikes: Carraro Sportive 321

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is a escape r3 (2017) owner?
I have a lot of questions about that bike
Old 02-12-19, 02:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by DESERTFOX_TR
Who is a escape r3 (2017) owner?
I have a lot of questions about that bike
I would recommend starting a new thread in the main hybrid forum, rather than in this thread. You will likely get more responses this way.
Old 03-07-19, 08:17 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
New forum member here, so hi. I am having trouble getting past the two hour mark on my 2018 Roam 3. Changed to Jones Loop bars and that relieved the pretty intense palm and wrist pain, and replaced the soft seat with a Serfas.

What I found developing last year, was some pretty intense discomfort on the perineum, even with the split seat. Was getting some disturbing "vibration" feeling or buzzing.

I have been looking at a few touring / gravel bikes thinking they might be better for longer rides. One shop owner said the only way to ensure comfort over long rides was to go to drop bar bikes, as the wrist aligns properly with the forearm. He said the upright seating, especially with the Jones bars moves all the weight on to the sit bones, whereas ideally I should be speading the weight evenly between sit bones and arms. He suggested a Trek Crossrip. Rode it for a test ride of only 20 minutes and it was impressive. I have read here where some of you folks have done century rides on your Roams, any tips ?

5 foot 10, 196 pound 68 year old senior.
Old 03-07-19, 12:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Saddle selection is key -- having the correct width of sit bone support. Were you fitted to the Serfas saddle when you purchased it? It could be too narrow for your sit bones. The saddle angle is also critical...not in the sense that there's one correct answer, but in the sense that small changes can make a whale of a difference in comfort; it'll be different for each rider. Fortunately, the Giant seat post is a "micro adjust" type with two bolts that allows you to really dial in the exact angle that is comfortable for you. Drop bars are entirely subjective. They're right for some and wrong for others. Some see them as the only proper type of handlebar, and they're certainly free to use them if they choose. You can get bar ends for flat bars that mimic some of the hand positions of drop bars. Nearly all drop bars are far narrower than I'm comfortable with, and that's the reason I personally don't use them.

How many miles are you doing in two hours? If you're looking for a high average speed for longer distances, a Roam probably isn't the best bike, just due to weight, geometry, etc. I think the longest ride I did on mine was three hours and 30 miles. I don't ride for speed, and I take breaks to photograph nature, eat a snack, talk with buddies, etc. This style of riding correlates more with saddle comfort because I'm not trying to pump out sustained power through the pedals.
Old 03-07-19, 02:02 PM
zarbog

25 miles in two hours. The bike was fitted to me with the original seat, but I have done my own adjustments with the Serfa. Take a hex key with me for micro adjustments. I wear padded liners. I saw in another thread this morning, that there is a following for the Selle Anatomica saddles. Would be a lot cheaper than a new bike. I like most of the Roam aspects, mine is a Roam 3 disc, should of sprung for the 2. The only thing function wise I do not love is the gear set. Bit clunky and too much chain noise using the extreme ranges. It is fine on the road and rail trails, had it out in the woods and it was not very happy. But realistically I am not going to do much more than rail trail or maybe green level single track at an old fart pace.

I have longer distances in mind, there is a rail trail loop I could do that would be a four hour ride at least, I did half of it in just over two. I live on the shores of Lake Ontario and there is an extensive trail system that goes around the lakes, mostly paved I believe. Want to do portions of it.

My bike shop has a seat program where you can try out a seat for 90 days, my first serfa I put 500 kilometres on it then decided to try out the one I have now, not sure if that is for any other make then serfa. Any how thanks for the response. Streets up here are still buried in snow, its going to be the end of March before I get out much I think.
Old 03-07-19, 04:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by zarbog
I like most of the Roam aspects, mine is a Roam 3 disc, should of sprung for the 2. The only thing function wise I do not love is the gear set. Bit clunky and too much chain noise using the extreme ranges.
You may just need some adjustment on your drivetrain. The difference in the drivetrain between the 2 and the 3 (at least in the US) is the 3 uses a 3x8 drivetrain with a Shimano RD-M360 rear derailleur (a traditional style derailleur) and the 2 users a 3x9 drivetrain with a Shimano RD-M3000 rear derailleur (a newer Shadow derailleur). Shadow derailleurs have their plusses and minuses, and I actually removed it from my Roam and I have the exact same M360 derailleur on it that came on your model. I use this derailleur on a number of bikes, and I find the shifting to be smooth and its operation silent and reliable. That "nicer" Shadow derailleur is in one of my parts boxes right now -- I couldn't get it to shift well on my Roam or on another bike. Both bikes shift super smooth with traditional style derailleurs, so you're not missing much in terms of the drivetrain.

There will likely always be noise if you're cross-chaining. That is, the small ring ("1") on the front and one of the smaller sprockets ("7" or "8") on the back. Or "3" on the front and "1" on the back. In general, you should trade shifting the chain to the right on the front and rear as you gain speed. The small ring ("1") on the front is best in line with the largest 4 or so sprockets. The middle ring on the front is best in line with the 5th and 6th sprocket. And then the large ring on the front is best in line with the 7th and 8th (smallest) sprockets. There is, of course, a pretty high tolerance for being outside those guidelines, but you generally want to try to keep the chain somewhat straight, for best wear, efficiency, and low noise.

The hydraulic disc brakes are superb (compared with the 3's cable-operated disc brakes). If you ever decided to upgrade something on the bike (besides your saddle for comfort), I highly recommend upgrading to hydraulic brakes. There's a night-and-day difference between them and cable-operated discs.
Old 03-07-19, 04:58 PM
zarbog

Thanks hoki, you are likely saving me some money

The Trek drop bar bike I tried had Tiagra gear set, loved it, but the Tiagra brakes were very hard to engage in the drops, they were mechanical. Mine are easy to engage, but are starting to squeel a bit. I have never tried out hydraulics yet, i will have to see what all the raving is about. Think I will pass on the Selle Anatomica for now, I see where as most people love them, there are quite a few that complain of problems. Would like to hear from the Roam riders as to what seats they are riding and their impressions.

Rog
Old 03-15-19, 06:54 PM
mavericg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone here who have change their wheels to a lighter set? Any options to consider or the stock is just fine?
Old 03-23-19, 06:09 AM
Vyntage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Cool -- I'd love to see some pictures of them!

I ask because I have Schwalbe Hurricanes on mine, also in 50-622 size (also marked 29x2"). The casings themselves on the Schwalbes are about 48mm and small knobs are about 51-52mm edge to edge. And there's still room.

[image deleted]

Those Kenda Kwick Journeys look nice. I have the Kwick Tendrils on one of my bikes and I like them. Somewhat heavy for their size (due to the puncture protection), but they are very smooth.
As another data point, I put Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe HS420s in 700x50 (2") on my Roam and they fit great. I tried to post pics but the forum says I'm too new. Heck, I had to delete the image from the quote just to reply.

On another note, I'm thinking of passing my 2018 Roam 2 onto a new owner and upgrading to the 2019 Roam 1. The Giant website is a bit unclear on two points though. Does anyone know:

1) What is the drivetrain on it? 2x11?
2) Is it tubeless? It says it has tubeless ready tires, but it comes with the GX28 wheels which afaik are not tubeless compatable.
Old 03-23-19, 05:50 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Vyntage
On another note, I'm thinking of passing my 2018 Roam 2 onto a new owner and upgrading to the 2019 Roam 1. The Giant website is a bit unclear on two points though. Does anyone know:

1) What is the drivetrain on it? 2x11?
2) Is it tubeless? It says it has tubeless ready tires, but it comes with the GX28 wheels which afaik are not tubeless compatable.
Assuming you're in the US, the US Roam 1 has a 2x10 drivetrain. The tires are Giant's "easy ride tubeless" which is a tube and a tire sort of built into one.

Old 03-24-19, 10:37 AM
zarbog

Couple of questions on the fenders and rear rack/trunks some of you have. Does your front derailer get muddy when using the Topeak Defender TX Fenders, and do you have any issues throwing your leg over the MTX trunk when you are getting on and off the bike ?
Old 05-20-19, 02:59 PM
dbushwacka

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in her for making my choice easy, you seem like a helpful bunch who ride similar routes to me. I pick up my Roam 0 2019 this Thursday, any advice or tips for a new Roam user would be greatly appreciated - specifically comfort related, I broke my neck a few years back and now struggle to ride any great distances due to neck strain - any tips you guys have which might help extend the mileage would be appreciated?
Old 05-20-19, 08:05 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by dbushwacka
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in her for making my choice easy, you seem like a helpful bunch who ride similar routes to me. I pick up my Roam 0 2019 this Thursday, any advice or tips for a new Roam user would be greatly appreciated - specifically comfort related, I broke my neck a few years back and now struggle to ride any great distances due to neck strain - any tips you guys have which might help extend the mileage would be appreciated?

You've got a great bike to go on adventures with, but don't be afraid to install a new angled stem that will raise the height of your handlebars.

Something like the attached for instance:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
40 degree stem.jpg (62.0 KB, 360 views)
Old 05-20-19, 08:26 PM
dbushwacka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You've got a great bike to go on adventures with, but don't be afraid to install a new angled stem that will raise the height of your handlebars.

Something like the attached for instance:
That's not a bad idea, I might go for an adjustable angle stem to give me options, if I can find something suitable.
Old 05-21-19, 06:02 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi everyone Kevin here stopping in to say hi, I am a 2015 Giant Roam 1 with a Xl size Frame owner that I bought new but have just started to ride it due to a bad neck and back plus other health issues.
I will have to complete 10 post before I am allowed to post pictures of the bike and upgrades I have made, but I promise to come back to this page and post some.
Old 05-21-19, 07:05 AM
dbushwacka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969
Hi everyone Kevin here stopping in to say hi, I am a 2015 Giant Roam 1 with a Xl size Frame owner that I bought new but have just started to ride it due to a bad neck and back plus other health issues.
I will have to complete 10 post before I am allowed to post pictures of the bike and upgrades I have made, but I promise to come back to this page and post some.
Have you done any mods that help with the neck and back, I'm really keen to find out what's out there to help me extend my range?

I too will post pics of the mods I do when I have something worth sharing.
Old 05-21-19, 07:28 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I plan on installing a Box BMX style handle bar with a 8.5 inch rise and a BMX style riser.

I have on my Roam a Ritchey adjustable stem riser and add on drop downs that I turned around upside down to get a cheap way of riding in a upright position.
I also added a Ride out Carbon Comfort seat which is the best seat I have ever ridden on and well worth the money.
Immediately I installed new Maxxis low rolling resistance ebike tires.
I removed the chain and used my ultra sonic cleaner to remove the factory wax type grease and used WD-40 Dry lube plus cleaned all the gears.
Now that can ride upright and comfortable I can ride much longer but I still have to fine tune my seat and bar adjustments once I get the BMX bars installed.
I have delayed the BMX bars until I am ready to replace the shifter cables and brake hoses because the factory ones will be too short.
Old 05-21-19, 09:11 AM
dbushwacka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on installing a Box BMX style handle bar with a 8.5 inch rise and a BMX style riser.

I have on my Roam a Ritchey adjustable stem riser and add on drop downs that I turned around upside down to get a cheap way of riding in a upright position.
I also added a Ride out Carbon Comfort seat which is the best seat I have ever ridden on and well worth the money.
Immediately I installed new Maxxis low rolling resistance ebike tires.
I removed the chain and used my ultra sonic cleaner to remove the factory wax type grease and used WD-40 Dry lube plus cleaned all the gears.
Now that can ride upright and comfortable I can ride much longer but I still have to fine tune my seat and bar adjustments once I get the BMX bars installed.
I have delayed the BMX bars until I am ready to replace the shifter cables and brake hoses because the factory ones will be too short.
That's an interesting idea with the bmx handle bar, the Roam 0 has hydraulic brakes though so I'm not sure how easy it would be to extend the lines, I've done car brake lines before but have zero experience with bicycle hydraulics, I suppose there's only one way to learn though.
Old 05-21-19, 09:21 AM
EaOutlaw1969

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The Roam 1 that I have also has hydraulics, getting the longer line kit is inexpensive and comes with everything we will need to extend the lines. there are several videos online that show how easy it is.
The Box Maximus has a 31.8 Clamping area for greater clamping strength and overall bar strength but you could do the job for less money by using less expensive BMX bars and a BMX Stem adapter.
I would say the hardest part of the job would be adjusting the derailleurs, which I have done in the past normally when I had the instructions for the Derailleurs in hand, my guess is the job would not be that hard since we should not have to adjust every setting.
Old 05-21-19, 01:37 PM
dbushwacka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Roam 1 that I have also has hydraulics, getting the longer line kit is inexpensive and comes with everything we will need to extend the lines. there are several videos online that show how easy it is.
The Box Maximus has a 31.8 Clamping area for greater clamping strength and overall bar strength but you could do the job for less money by using less expensive BMX bars and a BMX Stem adapter.
I would say the hardest part of the job would be adjusting the derailleurs, which I have done in the past normally when I had the instructions for the Derailleurs in hand, my guess is the job would not be that hard since we should not have to adjust every setting.
Thanks for the advice, one thing I'm not concerned about is setting up the derailleur, the only thing you should need to change is the cable tension. Just undo the bolt clamping the cable, check that you're in the bottom gear in the shifter, wind the barrel adjusters all the way in then back out a couple of turns, pull the cable tight and reclamp. Then just shift into second gear and use the barrel adjuster to fine tune so the jockey pulley lines up exactly with 2nd gear, job done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.