Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Road bike frame for bad neck

Old 12-01-17, 08:57 AM
evergrey2018
Back on the saddle again.

Bikes: Ultegra 6800 with cracked frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bike frame for bad neck

Don't know where else to post this. Had an auto accident that messed up my neck. Need to move all the Ultegra components from my aggressive road bike onto another frame with a more relaxed position. Does anyone else here have a solution that does NOT involve a straight handlebar or mountain bike frame?
Tia
Old 12-02-17, 01:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
It's not so much about the frame as the position and your specific condition.

As you point out raising the bars is likely to help, but it's a question of how much is necessary.

Depending on your height and frame size there's a good chance that a sloping top tube frame might bring the starting place for bar height higher. But there's no assurance, so you'll need to measure a bunch or frames to find the highest head height. Then you might get enough from a high angle stem and drop bars. You might also tinker with a shorter reach and the levers moved up, to stretch your spine out a bit less.

All this will probably not help if you need more than small improvements. If so, a straight bar and shorter stem, in the style of trendy fixies might be the answer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-02-18, 02:23 AM
donglebutter

Bikes: Salsa Fargo GX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes with a high stack the Salsa Fargo is a bike which has an incredible stack height and can be adapted for road use.