Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Regional Rides Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska

May 5 2018 - Port Angeles Metric Century

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-18, 12:37 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
May 5 2018 - Port Angeles Metric Century

Group Ride - Port Angles Metric Century, Saturday May 5, 2018Port Angles Metric Century, Saturday May 5, 2018

What: Metric century ride (~60 miles) on mixed surfaces

Where: On the North Olympic Peninsula, in and near Port Angeles, WA

When: 5 May 2018, 9am

Who: Anyone who wants to spend a day riding some highways, MUPs, gravel roads.

Why: Because it's fun.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Follow this link to get way more info about the route than you care to even know: Downtown Hotel Metric Century

Ask questions in this thread; I'll check in regularly to answer them; PMs ok too.

Hotel: For this event only, I'm offering 1/2 off rooms at The Downtown Hotel; which I can do because I run the joint, and the first weekend of May is usually really dead for some reason. Half price offer good from Thursday through Monday for the event weekend. (Regular rates start at $45 a night, so half off makes it crazy cheap!) To make this even easier, I'm offering a no risk cancellations on room reservations. If the weather looks like it's heading south for that weekend, just call to cancel and no hard feelings.

Route Options: The official route takes the peloton through some fairly strenuous climbing, (+1900 ft in the first 8 miles, by far the worst of it) but there are bailouts on all the hard stuff along the route for those of us who are still riding on our "winter legs." OPTIONAL FIRST LEG: All our riders last year opted for the more gentle first leg with about 500 ft of climbing vs the more scenic and fun route with 1800 ft in 8 miles. That will be an option this year, too.

Travel: For people in the Puget Sound region or PDX, your best best is to get here sometime on Friday to join the pre-functioning at the hotel (gluing tubies in the Caveman's bike cave, anyone?) But you can drive to it on the morning of the event and make the start time if you want to get up real early. Look at a map, you can get here. Obviously, talk amongst yourselves about carpooling.

Side attractions: Lots of dining and drinking options close to the hotel. Ditto Olympic Discovery Trail. Ditto Ediz Hook. The local brewpub is 2 blocks away, right here on the waterfront. Ferry to Victoria BC is a block from the hotel, if you really want to stretch this into a vacation.

Second-day rides: For the hardcores; Hurricane Ridge or the Olympic Adventure Trail. Medium-cores; down the mouth of the recently un-dammed Elwha River or the Spruce Trail out at Lake Crescent (trail is officially closed for construction, but on Sundays when there's no work being done, people go in anyway) Soft-cores, dead flat ride out to Ediz hook, or along the nearby stretch of the Olympic Discovery Trail.

Here's last year's thread with some photos by participants in the last half of the thread (all mine got shanghaied by PeeBucket)

Rivers. Lakes. Mountains. Alluvial sand spits. The Pacific Ocean. Yada yada yada. You name it; we got it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●